1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Premetive inverter pump replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Fartsalot, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Fartsalot

Fartsalot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Currently my Inverter pump is working but I have 103K miles on the car. When things break it is usually at the wrong time so replacing the pump at my choosing seems like the best deal since sooner or later the pump will fail.

I will do a fluid change as well when I change the pump and I watched several utubes on the pump change and fluid change. The vids look straight forward and basically make the task appear simple to preform. I did see some mention that changing the fluid can cause technical issues.

Does anyone have any advice to pass on to me so I do not have any complications? I do see the importance of running a bleeder hose back in to the reservoir while bleeding air off the system and I plan to do that of course.

Secondly,,, what is the better way to access the pump,,take out the headlight or not remove the headlight and deal with working in a tight area?

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some people advocate changing the pump at 100k or soon after. My wife's pump had 175k on it when a texter totaled the car. Mine had 150k when I traded it. Her current 2007 has almost 130k on the original pump. It won't hurt to replace it before it fails, but it may just as easily be a waste of money other than the peace of mind factor.

There should be no issues with replacing the inverter coolant. Super easy! Engine coolant is a bit more fussy.

Since I've never replaced a pump, I'll let others answer the question about difficulty and access point.

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When we did @SFO ’s water pump awhile back, it took us a little over an hour and we just loosened the inverter and shifted it :).

Didn’t remove the headlight ;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

jerrymildred and SFO like this.
  4. bobodaclown

bobodaclown Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I removed the headlight. Much easier spaces wise. Headlight removal is only 3 10mm bolts and the wire connectors. Toy done have to totally remove the bumper.

SFO likes this.
  5. Fartsalot

Fartsalot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ok,,,, Thanks guys,,,, I think I will replace it since I use my prius daily all day for work and I rely on it like I do vs just driving to work and back. I need to avoid any issues during a work day, and since the job is a doable deal I will get her done soon.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two