1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Premium (no ethanol) vs. E10

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by c4, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The term "negligible" is subjective, but I disagree with your statement. The energy difference between E0 and E85 is very noticeable to most drivers and engines. I saw about a 5% decrease in MPG in my Subaru Legacy when Oregon switched to E10. E100 has roughly 2/3 of the energy content of E0, which I would not consider negligible.

I don't see how the EPA has anything to do with the economics of fuel. Their purpose is environmental protection. The DoE on the other hand was created with the purpose of making the U.S. less reliant on foreign energy. They have mostly failed ever since inception, and I don't know why they still exist. The market steers this ship, not well-wishers and bureaucracy.

I disagree. When biofuels are cheaper, then this is the time to move to them. As you have pointed out, every gallon of fuel we do not consume will be consumed by another nation. The only thing we accomplish by purchasing expensive alternative energy is to artificially lower the price of fossil fuels, encouraging other nations to consume it cheaply, at the expense of the US economy.

That makes bio fuels a good deal for you. Most of us don't have access to a Mexican restaurant.

If you are referring to the E10 mandate, then no. It's actually being reviewed for various reasons, one of which is the increased cost of food and the environmental destruction that occurs when new land has to be farmed.

How does it significantly affect "big cat oil" when other nations happily consume whatever the US doesn't?

BTW, the only time I hug trees is when I'm trying to get them to fall a particular direction :p