1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Premium vs Advanced

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by galenagal, Dec 1, 2016.

1. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    AARP Driving class teaches that about the mirrors as well. Works for me.

2. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Although in these particular situations it seems DRCC is not as good yet as the human driver. We see someone about to cut right in front of us and start slowing down in anticipation (well except those of us in New Jersey) however DRCC seems to wait until the offending car is in our lane before slowing down. Those few extra seconds can put you right on top of the offending car if you don't react quickly. Maybe you won't hit them but for a few seconds until DRCC reacts you are close enough to be dangerous if they made a sudden stop. I am basing this on my only DRCC experience so far which was in an Infiniti rental car which is the only one I have used so far, and also anecdotal reports that I have read. Maybe Toyota handles this better since they have many years of DRCC experience as I pointed out in another thread. But still I am guessing that even Toyota is not as quick reacting to cut-ins as a human driver. Something hopefully that will be improved upon as the technology continues to evolve.

That's the most accurate way, but a trick I learned that works quickly in a rental car is to lean your head to the left, almost to the glass, then adjust the left mirror until you can just see your car. Then lean your head to the right, almost over the center armrest, and then adjust the right side the same way. Then sit up straight again and if needed adjusted the mirrors vertically.

Prius Maximus likes this.
  3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That doesn't represent what I have experienced. My guess is it's a combination of different driving situations and not as advanced of a system.

4. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As well as the distance settings. And there are many variables so it's a bit subjective. But to hopefully be more clear the type of situation that I am talking about, as an example at freeway speed, someone is ahead of you by let's say five feet, but in the adjoining lane to the right. Suddenly they start moving into your lane. An attentive human driver will start slowing down as soon as they see the movement in their direction, and for sure by the time the other car's left tires are crossing the line into their lane. By the time the other car's left taillight is in front of your right headlight, which is the first moment when you are in actual danger, a fast reacting driver will have already increased separation by several feet. Will your DRCC react as quickly or does the other car have to be more than say halfway into your lane before it starts slowing down?

Prius from Dad likes this.
  5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I only use cruise on the open road, never in traffic like that. So, the situation isn't a practical example. However, I have had someone cut me off like that... cutting across lane to get to an exit... and the system automatically responded faster than I could.

Note that radar is *ALWAYS* on, even when you are not using cruise. That's a nice part of the design, even if you never actually engage DRCC.

bwilson4web and Since2002 like this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm basing mine on:
    • 13k miles - 2014 BMW i3-REx, optically based
    • 3k miles - 2017 Prius Prime Plus, radar and optically based
    I have no driving experience with a Nissan Infiniti and suspect they may not be using either BMW or Toyota systems and control laws.

Bob Wilson

7. Sandollars

Sandollars Prius Maven

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree and you are forgetting the chain reaction caused by having to brake to allow a safe following distance from said pinhead that cut in front of you. This is one of the causes of the speed up/slow down crap we so often experience here in SoCal. Squids (Squirrely kids) trying to be in first place on the freeway, as if it really matters.... This is exacerbated by the inattentive driver that slams on the brakes in order to avoid the 15th car behind the car who had to slow down for the pinhead.... You get the point. If a butterfly flaps its wings in china.... Okay, I'm off rant.... :)

8. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I call that the slinky effect. one car squeezing in causes a chain reaction where everybody behind has to slow down or stop. From well back it looks like a slinky...

[​IMG]

HPrimeAdvanced and Sandollars like this.
  9. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Mythbusters did a great study on this.

Same show compared the efficiency of four-way stops vs. roundabouts. Spoiler alert: They found roundabouts substantially more efficient, but they failed to mention that they also burn substantially more real-estate.

iPhone ? Pro

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  10. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I get lost in roundabouts. :eek:

11. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is your name Clark Griswold?

James Wells and Prius Maximus like this.
  12. CellSix

CellSix New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have the Advanced and am about to hit 10k. Before I go any further you need to know I traded my 2012 COD MW3 Jeep for this car and was not happy doing so...I'm 51 and still hate growing up.

I love this car! I went 723 miles on my 1st tank. My sound system is amazing and the NAV is the best I have ever used. Love the HUD! All the aps? I never use em.

I also have a 2014 Camry XLE Hybrid and I have to say the 2017 Prime rides almost as nice but not quite...more road noise for sure.

The bad about the 2017 Prime...well the windshield, it's so thin that it cracks supper easy and cost just under 1000 to replace with factory glass....found this out right after we changed our deductible from $250 to $500.

All in all, I'm VERY happy but....I miss my Jeep

13. JGC61

JGC61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The Prime Advanced is the only way to go IMO.
    The safety features are only one reason for spending the extra $.
    A wise investment.

14. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The more toys the better, the more safety features makes it a no brainer.

15. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

16. VTBIGDOG

VTBIGDOG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Concerning the LED fog lights, the object of fog lights is not necessarily to see better in fog, but to be better seen by other drivers in the fog. I believe the LED fog lights do a better job than most.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

drash and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  17. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's interesting: My stepdaughter's 2016 regular Prius just recently had this same problem too: A very-tiny pebble hit her windshield ("rockshield"?), and she wasn't even going very fast at the time, so probably not very hard. It ended up creating a crack with a total length of around 2 1/2 feet!

Anyway, I really like our P.Prime Advanced so far (about 6100 miles now). I'm not enthralled that doesn't support Apple CarPlay, but ... PrimeOS?! ... performs almost all of the features I'd expect from CarPlay, and I don't have too many complaints about how or how well it works.

The main complaint I do have about it is that too many actions on the 11.6-inch screen are down low on the screen, taking my eyes too far off the road. They should have Audio and Climate-control panels come down from the top rather than up from the bottom, so that they will be seen closer to eye level.

iPad ? Pro

18. PNWbiker

PNWbiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hi! I'm new to the forum and, well, new to the Prius. I've been driving my 2007 Outback since I bought it new, and I'm really excited about a plug-in hybrid - I am just fed up with getting 20mpg driving to work and shopping and such, and just under 30mpg on road trips. Oh, and I'm tired of replacing head gaskets :(
    Up until two days ago, I had only ridden in a Prius once for a short 5 mile drive, and I had never driven one. I'm ready to buy a Prius Prime, but really wanted to drive it for a while, beyond just the test drive around the block with the dealer, before plunking down such a large chunk of change. I did test drive the Advanced because this is the model I thought I'd want to buy.
    Capitol Toyota in Salem, Oregon will rent the Prime Plus as a "try before you buy" for $35 per day - I don't know how long I could have kept it for, I'm only keeping it 3 days. This car is AWESOME! It's comfortable, quiet, and because most of my driving is in a 10 mile radius of my house, I'm getting 140mpg. I can also rule out the color - it's Titanium Glow and, while it's a nice color, I'm not excited by it. I still want Blue Magnetism.
    The reason I'm posting this here is to say I was pretty set on getting the Advanced model, but I'm finding the Plus is absolutely adequate for just about everything I have done so far. My husband is telling me "Go for the top model, you deserve it" and my frugal, practical side is saying "You just need the Plus" It is really going to be a tough choice.
    Honestly, the back up camera has such a wide angle, I feel like I could pull out of a spot at Costco on a holiday weekend without fear. I have always felt comfortable using my side mirrors to monitor my blind spot, but I wonder if I'd like the BSM. I don't think HUD is too much of a selling point for me. I do like the auto dimming mirror on my Outback and it's only available on the Advanced. I have wanted a heated steering wheel for a long time, so that sounds nice. The one-door vs three-door Smart Key opening is kind of nice when I want to open the hatch or back doors with a cart full of groceries.
    Here's the big deal for me - I really want cloth seats. I wear shorts all summer and I have to put a towel on my leather seats. In winter those seats are frrrrreeeeezing cold. Wish I could get cloth seats in the Advanced. I doubt I need the parking assist, since I almost never parallel park, but my years of living in San Francisco served me well and I am pretty decent at it.
    Some of the safety and security features sound great and I think I could get used to having Safety Connect.
    So just writing all this out has helped me to decide on the Advanced.. Thanks for letting me ramble. I encourage anyone who can do it to rent the care before you make your decision - it really is nice to say "Hmm, this care doesn't have BSM, will I miss that in the long run?"

drash, HPrimeAdvanced and Bob Comer like this.
  19. PNWbiker

PNWbiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh, yeah, and I forgot to mention - the stereo in the Plus is great, I can't wait to play with the upgraded system in the Advanced!

20. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Use voice commands for stuff that is uncomfortable for your line of sight; they do support a lot of controls in the Prime that way; also, don't forget the sophisticated steering wheel controls!