1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prepaid Maintenance package.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by vinay, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes there is no Toyota recommendation. Our cars are unique we will probably never change the brake pads before 200k and transmission service isn't really necessary on our planetary gear transmissions. Dads gen ii has 150k miles never serviced and still running strong. I will only do service in the manual. Everything else is a dealer tactic to make money.

One exception is that if upon inspection the fluid looks burnt, probably should change it for good measure.

2. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    UOA's indicate transaxle fluid should be changed, according to threads here by BobWilson4Web and others. Concur you can probably push it, but the manual DOES specify inspection of the fluid. About as easy to drain and fill as to drain a little and smell it, with no quantifiable way to evaluate its condition.

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sad to say, the Toyota repair manual for a Gen 3 describes transmission fluid inspection as only consisting of checking the fluid level, not even an eyeball or sniff test, so it does not involve draining any fluid.

I fully concur with Bob and Patrick on it being advisable to change your transmission fluid at some reasonable mileage. 30k seems reasonable, I think sooner than that for the 1st change would be even better.