1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prepaid Maintenance Plan and new 10,000 mile oil change interval

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by creativeguy, Jan 6, 2010.

1. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I purchased the prepaid maintenance plan 2 weeks ago and based my purchase decision on 10-11 servicings over 5 years. Now, with the new 10,000 oil change interval announcement, this plan no longer seems like a good deal at all.

I saw the FAQ posted in the other thread and it looks like Toyota Financial will be making an announcement, but was wondering if anyone has early info on how Toyota will adjust the maintenance plan. I know I have 30 days to cancel and get my money back.

2. R2Pre2

R2Pre2 Feel the Force!

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm in the same boat as you and have the same questions. Guess I'll have to break out the costs again and recalculate if there are any cost savings now. :confused:

The Platinum (?) prepaid plan did have some roadside assistance and towing services that are included but that's more "feel good" if it's never used.

At this point I'm considering canceling the plan, or requesting a refund on a revised plan that takes into account the reduced number of oil changes.

Very very interested in some answers.

3. dan1065cf

dan1065cf New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What's the deal with the 10k? I just purchased mine, and the Toyota dealer was insistant on every 5k..

4. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I spoke to Toyota Financial today (I bought the plan in October), and
    1) They said they know nothing of a 10K OCI
    2) Hypothetically, if there was a 10K interval, they would do nothing to adjust the plan - "can't change a contract - it's what you bought" they said. In other words, too bad.
    3) They said, without really saying it, that I should cancel my contract. Of course, since I've had it for a few months, even though I have not used any coupons, I will loose about $80 -$100.
    4) Thanks a bunch, Toyota.

5. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I guess if you can't back out, you can force the dealers to change the oil every 5000 miles. Might as well, you paid for it.

6. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    10k oil change is not a problem IF they're using a good synthetic. The tires "should" be rotated every 5k but I don't think every 10k would be a big problem (certainly no longer).

I can almost guarantee that there's language in your pre-paid maintenance program agreement that says it will be done on Toyota's "then current" maintenance intervals and that those could change.

7. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I called Toyota Financial and they told me that there would be no change in the plan, but that there is no reason I can't get my oil changed every 5k. He said just to follow the plan as it was when I purchased it and all the coupons would be honored.

If I had paid $1600 for this (what my dealer was selling it for), I would definitely cancel without hesitation. But, I only paid $!000 for this online, so I'm in a gray area. The "big" services will cost at least $300 each at the dealership, so that makes up most of the cost. I'm also guessing that the dealerships will start raising prices to compensate for the lack of business. The final thing is that my trusted independent mechanic is 1/2 hour away from me, while the toyota dealership is down the street. So the convenience and time savings might be worth a few hundred over 5 years. I've got a few more weeks to see if more info comes out before I hit 30 days.

8. R2Pre2

R2Pre2 Feel the Force!

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Similarly, I purchased my 3 year plan on-line at a substantial discount. It will probably be a wash. However, it's really, really frustrating that the dealerships and TFS are clueless about this change, either intentionally or not.

Thank goodness again for Priuschat.com that allows such quick exchange of information thereby allowing us to be ahead of, and push, the knowledge curve about our cars.

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1 person likes this.
  10. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not all synthetics are created equal, they better be using a good one.

11. R2Pre2

R2Pre2 Feel the Force!

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So...I just compared the price I paid for the on-line discounted 3 year/40k mile Premium Pre-Paid Maintenance plan to the dealership's retail costs for the same maintenance, revised to reflect oil changes every 10k miles instead of every 5k miles...

and it turns out I still save $76 bucks. Not as much of a saving as the anticipated 433.70 if the oil change policy had not been changed.

...YMMV

12. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  13. frankliemydear

frankliemydear Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my prepaid in December. I called Toyota financial and was told that I could still bring the car in every 5,000 miles and that they would rotate my tires. I called a dealer, and they told me they would change the oil if I wanted them to. How can I tell if they really changed the oil? I'll be lucky to have 5,000 miles after six months as I don't drive that much. Personally, I think they should either make an adjustment for people or they should extend the contract. I just don't know if the dealer will really change the oil.

14. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They'll also inspect the driver floor mat, per the new warranty book. That alone is worth it!

15. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    People stop buying extended warranties and pre paid service contracts. This is a Toyota it does not brake (I mean break).

The only thing needed from 0 to 45,000 miles is 4 oil changes and tire rotations every 5,000 if you decided to do that. The oil changes should not cost more than $40 each with synthetic oil and you can buy a life time tire rotation package from NTB for $39.

Most dealers (liars) give FREE (lies) oil changes when you buy a car as long as you come back every 5,000 miles. They are not completely free because they ‘CHARGE’ (opposite of free) for synthetic oil. Then they try to sell you many other worthless items.

If you spent more than $200 on your service contact you got ripped off. If you are going to buy a new car and you are reading this ‘NO NOT BUY PREPAID SERVICE CONTACTS’.

16. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just spoke to Amy at Toyota Financial Services, and she basically told me that the fact that my plan has the 5K OCI is my problem. To cancel it now, even though I have not even used it yet (I have 4500 miles and it was bought the middle of October), will cost me $125. Another Toyota Ripoff. She suggested I cancel it (and pay $125) and get another plan. Fat Chance! She is putting it all back on the selling dealer, since Toyota "only administers" the plan. She did say she could extend it for another year - about 1.5 oil changes worth. Again, thanks a lot Toyota. Honda, here we come!

17. darebornsolja

darebornsolja New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That sucks to hear liskipper. Longo Toyota said I can cancel the extended warranty at any time without paying an early termination fee. I would call Toyota again and tell them to stop screwing you over and cancel it. I am going to cancel mine, I also bought the extended bumper to bumper 60 month warranty and cancelled it. The only pain is having to wait for them to credit it towards the balance.

18. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Amsoil makes two 100% Synthetic Motor oils, one that they sell on price to the "Jiffy-Lube" places, a 7500 mile oil that is 5-W20 they designate XL, and the best oil that can go 25K if necessary between oil changes. I believe MOBIL-1 also makes a 'regular' version, and an Extended Range version of their 100% synthetic oils as well. And these are the two Best synthetic Oil Manufacturers, with the higher poly-alpha olefin content. Amsoil was the first to make and sell automotive motor oil synthetic oil.

19. psli09

psli09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bought the plan back in november 09. Have not used any coupon. Talked to TFS and requested a refund. Fax in the request letter and got my check. Of course, they took some "cancellation fee" and the refund is at 91% of the original purchased price (pro-rated from the time I purchased the plan to the day I request cancellation).

20. Yonessyo

Yonessyo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bump - Anyone else have experience cancelling their prepaid maintenance plan? I bought my Prius IV back in July with that platinum PM plan. Now with the oil 10,000 change, I would like to cancel my plan. I've used 2 coupons to date. Wondering how much I'll get back once I cancel it.