1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Preparing to do my own oil change for the first time...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Toyotally04, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Toyotally04

Toyotally04 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok, i'll try your advice and see if a franchise does such personal favor transaction (although it does sound pretty foreign/strange to me, it being a formal business.)

2. Toyotally04

Toyotally04 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got back.

When I asked the manager about filling up a 2G Prius, he reactively said they fill 4.2 qt.

And I had to show the manual and point out that the correct amount was 3.9 qt.

They filled about exactly 4 qt., seeing afterward how much was left of the 5 qt. purchase I got.

So, yeah... hopefully, next time, I can do this... and not mess up my car.

jzchen likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Excellent good job. It will be a little overfilled no big deal. Your good for 5000 miles or more. Not sure your oil brand if M1 your good for 10K miles just every few days before you start the car check the oil. See how much oil its eating. keep it at the full mark always.

Toyotally04 likes this.
  4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Glad you got the car serviced as needed. Yes stores will use your oil if you ask. I wonder if you can politely ask if the tech could not tighten the filter nor drain too tightly.

BTW- Please replace the drain plug gasket with a new one at every oil change. It's cheap insurance from leaks.

moto g(7) power ?

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I usually duke the guy under the car $5 and tell him don't go mungo on the pan bolt my brotha

Keep track of the oil changes about every 5 oil changes buy a new pan bolt at the dealer ($6) and replace the pan bolt. It will keep the pan thread hole from stripping out.
    It works I have owned maybe 50 cars in my life never stripped a pan.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I liked Kris' suggestion of having a real mechanic do the o/c and installing the drain valve. With the valve, that means a totally "wrenchless" oil change. Which is what I have been doing for 30 years,,,,and man is it freedom or what.

Of course, I installed the valves myself, but whatever.

7. jessiejosco

jessiejosco Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With a low oil drain pan you can actually change the oil without lifting the car up. The pan bolt and the oil filter are within easy reach if you lie down at the front of the car. You have to change the oil filter without being able to see it but once you know where it is, it's not that bad. I often do run the front wheels up on a couple of scrap 2/6 s just to make it a bit less tight, but can be done without.

I'd stick with the oil pan bolt. The oil pan is close enough to the ground without a valve hanging off it. If you don't over tighten the bolt it is no problem to take off. The valve is also not going to save you from getting oil all over your hands because you get way more when you take the oil filter off. I don't even change the gasket on the bolt. It does not leak, even after many oil changes. The worst that will happen is that you will have a very slow drip.