1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prepping for 300K miles.....

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by smallschumi, Nov 3, 2021.

1. smallschumi

smallschumi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My PIP is a 2012 model. I think I was one of the earlier members who reached 150K miles by 2017 in less than in 5 years of ownership. Currently I have 190k miles. Added just 40K in the last 4 years due to less commute and work from home. Still runs great. EV range still 10 miles though :)Sometimes I almost forget the fact that its 200k miles car.

Looking for inputs to take her to 300K mile club.
    This is what I have done so far. Appreciate if you could let me know the recommended/ mandatory things to do

Things done so far
    Synthetic Oil change every 8k to 10k Miles
    Spark plugs and Engine coolant at 120K miles Oct 2016.
    Transmission Drain and fill at 130K miles Feb 2017
    Inverter coolant change 150k Nov 2017
    Original brake pads 6mm as per dealer. Top of brake fluid not replaced yet
    Couple of Cabin and Air filters, tires, wiper blades,

Appreciate everyone's input!!!!

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Clean the egr circuit and add an oil catch can ;).

And I'd replace the engine water pump and thermostat:).

These would be attempts to avoid a head gasket failure:whistle:.

Good luck on your quest(y).

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you don't ever smell anything off during fillup or always use 10% ethanol gas to refuel, might want to try a few tanks of real gas / non ethanol gas.
    https://www.buyrealgas.com/
    https://www.pure-gas.org/

I still wonder why when I fillup at a station that sells 10% ethanol gas, I typically get the smell of home heating oil while pumping. Anyone else notice that?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Second the EGR cleaning. Do include the intake manifold, it has EGR passages as well. Get the throttle body cleaned while you're in there. Do check out my EGR info link in signature. If at all possible, DIY this. And with your miles, keep your fingers crossed...

And change the brake fluid. Dealership could/should do this for not much over $100. If much higher, shop around. You can DIY this as well; see info in my signature.

5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Are the PiP engines the same as the regular gen3 Prius engines? I never bothered to check mine out while I was learning the in and outs of plugging in with the PiP.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh, good point. A Plug-In Prius that's regularly plugged in, does most of it's miles on electric, will definitely have an engine in better shape, at any mileage. Apart from that, I believe the engine is identical.

#6 Mendel Leisk, Nov 4, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. CardiffChris

CardiffChris Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    II
    256,000 miles - Still Shines Like A New Dime - A/C Blows Jingle Bells - Not For Sale 20180509_105250_1536009741622_001.jpg

8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The engine is identical;).

But depending on how the PIPis driven could determine the engine condition:whistle:.

Example: if the engine kicks on at full freeway speeds after being cold, that might not be best :cool:.

I'd just take the same precautions (y).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. smallschumi

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you all. Glad to see not a long list of things to do :)

My EV % usually has been 30%. Most of the miles as you can imagine where on freeways. Generally its in great condition. I am sure good freeways in AZ must have helped

Folks at this miles have changed water pump and thermostat?

10. smallschumi

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    All, I have seen many folks changing water pump at lower miles even at 100k Miles. I assume its time for me at 190K miles? However, I am of the opinion that chances of water pump going out all of a sudden may be less? You should see some coolant leaks or some sort of whirring sounds etc?

Anyway it wouldn't hurt to change since I want to keep the car for long.So anything else to do other than the EGR valve and intake manifold ? Major work so far been Spark plugs and Engine coolant at 120K miles Oct 2016., Transmission Drain and fill at 130K miles Feb 2017, Inverter coolant change 150k Nov 2017.

Brake fluid change, EGR, intake manifold etc I could do DIY but dont want to mess with water pump so will have to shop around and get someone who will use OEM parts at a reasonable price

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sync the water pump (and thermostat?) change with coolant change? IIRC the interval for engine coolant change in the States (by the way: where the heck are you?) is 100K miles or 10 years (whichever comes first), and subsequently 50K miles or 5 years.

12. smallschumi

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks. I am IN US. Given that at least 25% miles are EV miles, I think I can push the coolant change to a later point unless there are some added benefits for in terms overall cost if its done with water pump and thermostat.

Regarding the EGR clean up, I assume there will be some symptoms like rough idle, car shaking at start up if there is carbon bild up and its clogged?

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wouldn't wait for such symptoms, they're more likely signs the head gasket is failing. If you've got over 100K miles it's time.

15. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The water pump is one of those things you don't mess with (or change) unless you are having problems...fits in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" Same for alternators, etc.
    For me, if I really wanted to get to 300,000, I'd be changing my engine oil/filter every 6-months or 5,000 miles. If you pull the dipstick and check the oil at 5,000 miles, I'd bet it would be looking dirty. It's one of the most inexpensive maintenance items but has the most impact on helping those engines run forever.

douglasjre likes this.
  16. smallschumi

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks Mendel Leisk

I have 190K miles. I was talking to a local shop which deals with Japanese cars mainly with very good reputation for being honest/upfront when it comes to repairs. He said that he has seen only 2 or 3 plug ins where as they work on many regular Prius's. Must be to do with lower number of PIP's. His opinion was to check the car first and start thinking about water pump & thermostat replacements

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I noticed you didn't mention the PCV valve which I replace when I'm having idling issues or whenever replacing spark plugs....usually less than $10 for an OEM one.