1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prepping for a home service

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MattNorge, Mar 9, 2020.

1. MattNorge

MattNorge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Guys, new member here from Norway.

I'm getting ready to do a lot of work on my 2012 Prius plus7 or V or whatever its called and want to make sure of a few things.

I'm replacing the slide pins on the rear brakes, they are very stiff and the price of new ones isn't too bad. I've already replaced the pads and discs so this is straight forward. I've also got a kit for the front (pins, pistons, rubbers etc) as the front has given me some trouble over the last year or so. With the videos i've seen from nuts about bolts this all seems pretty straight forward.

I'm also changing the oil and filter, any suggestions on the oil viscosity? it gets pretty cold here in the winter (down to -30c/-22f at times)

I also want to change the spark plugs and possibly the coils. I've had the knocking on start up occasionally so while its all apart i think it would make sense to swap them out? Any recommendations for spark plugs?

While every thing is apart i might as well do the intake manifold clean and EGR pipe clean also replace the PCV valve as its a cheap part and easier to get at at this stage.

I'll drain the coolant system as well and refill, is it worth doing the inverter coolant as well? I have no idea when or if this has ever been changed. What fluid is used in there?

Lastly, I think, the transmission fluid. Again I have no idea when this was last done. The manual states toyota genuine ATF, is there anything better or stick with this?

Air filter and cabin filter

Is there anything else you would recommend doing while i'm at it? I want to get as much done myself to keep the costs down at the workshop.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius chat(y).

Some questions:
    • How many miles on your Prius?
    • Why not clean the egr cooler as that is a weak link and will continue to be?
    Good luck and keep us posted(y).

Mendel Leisk and MattNorge like this.
  3. MattNorge

MattNorge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s coming up to 125k miles now. Somethings are long overdue, I’ll take a look at cleaning the EGR as well

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Ivan White

Ivan White Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Raytheeagle was suggesting cleaning the EGR cooler behind the EGR valve. Probably more important than the valve itself, which has an updated part number. I bought the newer version EGR valve when I cleaned my EGR cooler at 90,000 miles. EGR cooler was clogged and EGR valve is hard to completely clean. Great YouTube video by Nutsand bolts.

Raytheeagle and MattNorge like this.
  5. MattNorge

MattNorge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    The nuts and bolts videos are great and have given me the confidence to do a lot more work than I would have tried otherwise

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Some info/links and 3rd gen Repair Manual excerpts:

The simplest way to see where you're at, is to check the degree of carbon build up in the EGR pipe, a stainless steel connecting pipe between the EGR valve and intake manifold. Watch @NutzAboutBolts video #16 here:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

Two or three other videos linked there too, for the full cleaning of the intake manifold, full EGR clean, and Oil Catch Can install.

Good thread:

EGR & Intake Manifold Clean Results | PriusChat

Another:

Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock! | PriusChat

Some tools worth having:

E8 Torx socket (mandatory)
    E6 Torx socket (optional, but good to have, to remove the throttle body studs from intake manifold)
    3/8" ratchet wrench, regular and long handle, flex head, you can never have enough (or 1/2 plus reducer)
    1/4" ratchet wrench, or 3/8" to 1/4" reducer
    Ratchet extensions: you can never have enough
    Long needle nose piers, straight and bent tip
    Ratcheting 12mm box wrench (optional, but makes disconnection of the EGR cooler from exhaust easier)
    Torque wrench (3/8" and 1/4" both good to have)
    Floor jack and safety stands (or ramps): basically some method to raise front, if you need to take underpanel off, which you may need to, both for access and to recover dropped items.

NutzAboutBolts and MattNorge like this.
  7. MattNorge

MattNorge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks a lot, that will be some very useful info

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.