1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Preserving Wild Spaces - My work in video format

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by F8L, Jun 23, 2010.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    *UPDATE*

It is now preserved!

It's been awhile since I have been active in this forum. During my treatments I didn't have much energy for much beyond work. I put together a couple video slideshows of the work I've been doing over the last 8 months. Al are available in HD.

We are trying to preserve a 2,500 acre piece of land and the first video will tell you all about it. :) I shot half of the footage and it was produced by Str8-Up Tv.

The 2nd video is a collection of pictures taken on the tours I led this spring. The slide-show was created to share pictures with community members that attended the tours. We conduct these tours annually on different preserves that are normally closed to the public in an effort to allow community enjoyment of the land as well as an education opportunity with the help of guest speakers. I'm the lanky guy in the cowboy hat and/or Wranglers. ;)

The 3rd video is a collection of flora and fauna pictures taken on Bruin Ranch.

I hope you enjoy some of it.... I'll make a new post with my other work including the bird box program updates I promised you guys last year. ;)

Justin

9 people like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    very nice, beautiful country. great work F8L!:)

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! :)

I'm now reading over the bird box data the girl scout sent me so that post should be coming soon. :)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my sis in law and nephews live in sacramento. they spend a lot of time around the american river. we're hoping to get out there this fall and spend some time seeing northern california. havn't been since i was a kid other than l.a. and san diego.

5. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Hope you are doing well with treatment F8L.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The American River Canyon area is amazing! It's much better in the spring than fall though. Let me know when you will be up here and I can recommend some good spots! :)

Thanks buddy! The doctor mentioned some about sailing being good for cancer cures..... ;)

7. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sailing cures everything... esp an overstuffed wallet! ;)

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not when we roll err sail with MarinJohn! :rockon:

9. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's nice to follow your work, Justin. That's a beautiful piece of property and with the watershed, I can see why this is a priority for protection.

The land looks like it's in nice condition. Is this from grazing, does he burn it or does he actually mow all of that?!

When you say you are "trying" to preserve the land, are you encountering obstacles and what are they? I thought this type of land acquisition is an easy feat if you have two willing parties....the Trust and the land donor.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed. The property fits well into our local watershed protection program. We didn't go into too much detail but the property would connect quite a bit of land to create an uninterrupted contiguous wildlife corridor as well. The acreage may not sound like much but in Placer County this is a huge parcel for a private owner.

It is a working cattle ranch that specializes in breeding stock (Angus). So the majority of the property is grazed. They are continually adding more interior fencing to aid in more controlled grazing. This is good for the livestock as well as the land. Like most lands in CA, the property has plenty of exotic and invasive grasses but the cattle help keep that under control as well as reducing fuel load for fire safety.

It would be an easy feat if the land were being donated. :) Instead, this is a regular sale. So the "trying" part means we are working to raise funds to cover the $14 million dollar price tag. This is a bargain compared to the original sale cost of $30 million just a few years ago when the real estate market was much better. $2 million of this goes towards stewardship costs as we will need to continue managing the property in perpetuity.

This property is located just one small parcel away from our Shutamul Bear River Preserve which is the focus of my butterfly expedition threads and is likely to harbor similar species. :) See the attached area map. Shutamul is the small 40 acre parcel just to the right of Bruin Ranch on the map. The protected lands below and to the left of Bruin Ranch are also ours. The county owns the southern-most parcel and turned it into a regional park. We hope to expand their trail system through our preserves and Bruin Ranch and end at the Bear River. This would be the only trail system of its kind in the Bear River area. Most of the recreational trails are generally on the American River side of Placer County.

I LOVE my job! Thanks to everyone who has helped me throughout my cancer ordeal. Without you all I might not be here to save the world one parcel at a time. :D

Attached Files:

11. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You may LOVE your job but I'm JEALOUS of it!!!

I did understand the contiguous nature from one of the links you provided. I could see that this land would connect other protected parcels. It's great when fragmented land gets put back together once again. :)

I know that this depends on the land owner's priorities but is there a way to work it where he donates the land, places a conservation easement on it with an underlying management plan and then receives a tax break for the contribution? This may be a win/win for all involved.

If there's a way to quantify local tourism revenue expected from the acquisition, maybe the local business owners (or the County, who is hopefully not broke) would contribute to the cause.

Or maybe you could lease some of the land back to the current owner for grazing purposes and offset some of the purchase price.

For stewardship cause, maybe there are some matching grants you can tap.

I'm sure the Trust thought of all this and the current "purchase" goal is the last remaining viable option, eh?

I hope you get what you want out of this deal....seems daunting but you've overcome much greater odds, for sure. It's nice to see you out and about and engaging in life!

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Then you should come visit me and come on some of our annual tours. ;)

That is an option we have taken on over half of our current preserves but in this case a sale is the way the landowner wants to proceed.

You're good! Those are all options that are currently in the works. We were out last Thursday giving helicopter tours to agencies like Trust for Public Land, Wildlife Conservation Board, the county, etc. We've hosted more tours than I can count at this point and so far it looks good! We even held a series of Plein Air painting days where we brought artists out to the property for the day to paint or take pictures. The pictures were then displayed during the city's annual art walk and some proceeds were donated to the trust. :)

Thanks! You're not living unless you are out engaging life in some fashion! :)

13. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Visit? - I'd love to but cannot take any vacations due to a sick pet requiring daily meds. CA is on our list but I reeeeeally want to get to Oregon first. Been wanting to do this for years so you have to wait a bit. :)

I forgot to ask about the US F&W. Didn't you say the dogface is endangered and can't they be of use to you if this butterfly is found at the purchase site?

Good luck in pursuit of your land purchase. We donate to our local land conservancy annually but maybe we can consider Placer at year end for this too.

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They're pretty close together. ;)

If you're going to travel all that way, you may as well see both while you're there. The coast, at least. :)

15. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Did you just learn that from your visit there? :p

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :D

No, I remembered that from my first visit, a cycling trip down the coast. The dunes, the redwoods, and highway 1 in Cali were the best parts.

17. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You're in tip top shape, I gather. That sounds like it's not easy. I saw the redwoods when I was young. Out of all our annual driving trips, the redwoods are ingrained in my memory.

18. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Justin,

Here are pics from our creek project I told you about. I don't have a "before" pic as the engineer didn't contact me prior to starting work. Our creek was channelized and had a monoculture of reed canary grass. Here's our progress as of last weekend. There's a lot of stuff in here that's growing but is too immature to set bloom....silphium, lobelia (2 kinds), chelone, penstemon, betony, iris, lilly, etc.

We've been hand wicking the rcg with rodeo and so far so good. Many, many back breaking hours as our land neighbor really likes his rcg and won't kill it (he actually needles me about our "project") so his seed bank gets on our site. :rolleyes:

DSC_0701.jpg

DSC_0704.jpg

DSC_0711.jpg

The creek is evolving as he planned, that is to say it is now acting more like a swale. The main creek has now branched into a second creek and it's creating mini islands. There's a third channel forming for times when the water volume is very high. During abundant rains the entire area is flooded. This, my neighbor like as he said that before restoration, my creek would flood his property.

I saw water hemlock in bloom that we didn't seed in but I subsequently learned that there's an alien of this plant. I have to go back to check which one decided to pop in for a visit.

1 person likes this.
  19. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Twenty years ago, yeah. Now I'm mostly just skinny. :rolleyes:

Pulling weeds by hand definitely feels like work. Gotta be tough not to give in to using poison - good for you. :)

20. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Unfortunately, I have to use chemicals. One could never get rid of Reed Canary
    Grass by hand pulling. I use a chemical glove with a cotton glove over it to apply the chemical on the target only. This uses about 75% less chemical for the same surface area. As the site matures, the rcg will require less maintenance to keep in check (at least I have to hope).