1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Preserving Wild Spaces - My work in video format

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by F8L, Jun 23, 2010.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The site looks great! You have a nice diversity of plants in there. It will be interesting to see which ones do best on that site and end up dominant. :) You chose Rodeo due to the proximity of water right?

Have you tried talking to the neighbor and offering to replace his rcg with something similar but native to the area or something that is not tolerant of wetlands?

When the plants are old enough to bloom, please post up more pictures! :D

2. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks, Justin. The diversity is what I'm so pleased with. I went to a wetland restoration seminar and they all talked about how difficult it was to get great blue lobelia to germinate and mature and we have a lot of this that came in from seed. So, I think we just have really good soil we're working with.

At the time the conservancy and engineer were talking to my neighbor, I was hoping he'd retain them for his portion of the creek. In retrospect, I'm glad he declined. It's a ton of work to maintain it to a healthy state and a 70-80ish man with no passion wouldn't be inclined. The first year we had at least 100 thistle that came up along with a carpet of ladys thumb we had to contend with in addition to the rcg. I guess his rcg monoculture is probably better than all that stuff. Maybe one day we'll talk him into the project and offer to maintain it for him when our project matures and is less work. I would be excited about that.

Sure, I'll post more pics as it matures.

Best of luck on the land acquisition. It seems like a really nice piece to preserve. I'm looking forward to watching your progress on this.

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear you on the "weed" problem. I have a new-found respect for farmers who have large mono-crops with few weeds. Granted it is easier to accomplish when you can just till the hell out of a piece of land and liberally apply herbicides but still. :)

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We preserved 1,773 acres of Bruin Ranch as of Dec. 31st 2010!

We will begin working on preserving the remaining 527 acres this year.

More information on the details of the project and how we worked with the County to preserve this amazing piece of land.

1,773 acres of Bruin Ranch Preserved!

2 people like this.
  5. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nice work! I knew you could do it. ;)

Now on to the next feat....management of that land. Them there is a lot of acreage!

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. And our group was pleased with acquiring an additional 6.5 acres last year, but then our group is all volunteer and is funded almost entirely by private donations. 1773 acres is very cool! Is any ranching still going to occur there? Was there originally buffalo in that area?

FYI : I had problems viewing your placerlandtrust.org website (Windows XP and Firefox) - the navigation links & blue background were overwriting the middle/right side of the text

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! :) Yes, management is a lot of work. We worked out a deal with the original owner of the ranch and the cattle breeding operation that occurs on the preserve. He will continue to graze the land and manage it while myself and the rest of our staff observe the operation over the course of 3yrs before we take a very active role in the management. Because the County donated $5 million to the project, we are working with them to develop a very robust management plan and coordinate public access in the future.

Our organization started out that way so I hear ya on volunteer power. :) Baby steps! You guys do some really great things and every bit counts. If you ever need advice or templates for management plans etc. just let me know.

Ranching will continue on the Preserve as part of our management plan and to help support the local AG community. There were no bison on the Preserve that I am aware of but once you start going back into the early Pleistocene anyone's guess is probably valid. We know that they used to roam the grasslands of California but I don't know how far into the foothills they ventured. We have a conservation easement on 900+ acres directly adjacent to Bruin Ranch and that preserve is grazed by a herd of about 50 bison.

I'm lost. Was the viewing problem on our website or was it a problem with the links on the PC page?

8. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it was the PLT website, your link was fine.

We're going to stay a volunteer org. for a long time (the plan is forever, but who can say what will happen when there's a big change in board members). We've been around 40 years and have 350 acres now, in about 10 parcels, about half of that is active management for prairies, etc. the other half is left as is for now. For larger parcels that become available we lobby the county government, they have a good system of "forest preserves" here. But large parcels are not commonly found in the Chicago suburbs.

They're re-introducing bison into some larger properties in Illinois, but we don't have that kind of capability. What would be nice is timber wolves, to help with the deer problem...

9. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here's to hoping that they County's priorities are as you see them. I wonder if there's a way to draft the plan as binding and that can only be changed by mutual consent. Then, if the political waves shift, the land doesn't suffer.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really respect the work you guys do. I also understand that some counties just don't have a lot large parcels left. Believe it or not my county is the same way. :)

We're safe from that situation because we own the property in fee title and we are the one's writing the plan since we have much more land management experience. They hold the conservation easement and will be responsible for making sure I do my job. We also received 4.5 million from the state Wildlife Conservation Board so there are many reasons why the county could not have a change of heart and reduce or endanger the conservation values. :)

I wish you guys were local so I could take you on tours of these great places!

11. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would not just be touring if I lived there. I would be volunteering under your direction. :)

I saw the video and that land is exquisite! I love land that has watershed on it. It adds another dimension. We've seen with our creek restoration how much more wildlife is drawn with open water.

Congrats on protecting it. I'm glad to hear you'll not experience problems in the future. That was a big concern for us placing our easement in the hands of the land conservancy but we're as confident we can be that their philosophies won't change.

Have fun and don't let the task wear you down.

I hope you're feeling ok.