1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pressed the "DISP" button for the first time for some excitement...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by OceanEyes, Jan 7, 2013.

1. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ... and started having fun with the Hybrid System Monitor... took a route home where I could be in EV mode the whole way home... didn't like when I had to go into the PWR end of the display to accelerate where a hill was involved.

I guess I will get used to using it but it is like a whole other dimension of my car has shown its face.... did manage to break 55 mpgs for the first time since the weather got cold but found that in this mode I am more likely to creep along trying to keep it from crossing the "line". Will probably need more explanation of the bar graph that follows with the stack of little cars embedded - got 3.5 little cars in one bar during the trip... 2.5 on the other two bars.

Definite fun with technology!

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unless something has changed between the GenII and GenIII, the "cars in the bar" represent the KWH regenerated via braking. Per physics, 0 cars is best because all reclaimed energy by braking means that you were braking. And the best mileage means no braking.

Keep in mind that since you do not have a Plug-In, all energy you spend in EV mode must be reclaimed. The only source of energy in the Prius in gasoline. Since there is no such thing as a perfectly efficient conversion ratio, going from gasoline to engine to motive energy to brake regeneration to the battery then back to the motive power will be less efficient than going gasoline to engine to motive energy. That's just physics.

So you will artificially inflate your fuel efficiency but in total, your fuel efficiency went down.

OceanEyes likes this.
  3. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for clarifying what I was reading.... I still have a LOT to learn and this was another screen to tell me that - just needed the translation.

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    HSI indicator is the only display I use. But, I try to be either energy neutral at the zero line, or accelerate at the top of ECO zone (=2000 RPM) with nothing in between. That is my recipe for the highest MPG and the lowest wear on the battery and hybrid components.

OceanEyes likes this.
  5. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Something new for this newbie... I did OK mpg wise on the Energy Monitor screen but now trying to take it to the next level to keep my spaceship running at peak. I knew to keep it in ECO in the green zone... Was overjoyed in EV mode... Now just have to apply this new information to life lessons.

6. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So i like to take advantage of every situation. When possible:
    I coast in stealth mode, i.e. no engine and no battery,
    I try to use battery, so that means I need to recharge so:
    long slow recharges using my breaks is first choice,
    second is charging on a down slope where I try to maintain vehicle speed, yet engine is charging the battery only,
    Pulse and glide is an art that I continue to experiment with, quick excellerate slightly above the S/L then a 6-8 mph stealth glide.
    sometimes When I accelerate I try to keep within the ECO mode and use the instant MPG gauge to try to stay above 50 mpg.
    When all else fails I just snap it on cruise control and place the Prius in the hands of its creator.

OceanEyes likes this.
  7. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Was getting the hang of the HSM tonight as I had a meeting to drive to that was highway and 30 minutes away... I am one of the few posters on the self driving thread to say I would not drive such a car... hence I don't use cruise control as I hate the lack of control without a foot on the pedal... but that is just me. Probably hurting my MPGs but I can live with that. Kept it in ECO mode during acceleration... had to punch it once into the power zone due to folks sitting in the left lane and cars merging in on my right... but the car responded quick enough for my needs.

At the end of the trip, I got the bar display to drop to half a car and a car and a half instead of the dismal 2.5 and 3.5 I had last night... making progress! ;)

Bob Hahn and dcrist66 like this.
  8. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Never, ever thought a routine thing as driving could be as much fun as I am having!

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The only time I like the cruise control is on cross country trips. Locking on to a tractor trailer in the middle of the night and letting the auto pilot do most of the work makes the trip less tiring. Otherwise, I think I can get better FE.

OceanEyes likes this.
  10. TN Traveler

TN Traveler Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I drive it like a normal car, I wish I could turn the HSM off......

11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Check under settings.

12. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't understand "artificially". If the display and fill-up calculations say the mileage is better, then it is better.
    I believe the important consideration is the efficiency of the ICE when producing and storing energy. When driving at low speeds (say below 35 mph) the ICE efficiency is low so the gas needed to charge the battery is higher than would be needed for the same battery charge at higher speeds or simply higher RPM such as going uphill. If you operate in EV at those lower speeds (having charged the battery at high RPM) the conversion losses for EV still produce more efficient operation than simply running the ICE at low RPM. This would be why the computer switches the car to EV at those lower speeds.

My conclusion would be... Its fine to use EV when the computer allows it. Of course true glide (everything off) is even better if you enjoy wide ranging variable speed driving.

13. Jzerocsk

Jzerocsk Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I don't either, and I also don't get the idea of "gliding" always being preferable to "EV". It seems like the system is designed to charge the battery opportunistically when braking or at speeds above 45MPH, so the "conversion loss" should only matter if your driving situation results in the state of charge going low enough that the ICE comes on solely to charge the battery (or dissipate energy when the battery is fully charged, I suppose). My work commute, for example, is about 1/2 winding country roads with 45MPH or less speed limit and 1/2 interstate...if I use EV as much as possible during the slower parts of the drive, my battery is always fully charged by the time I exit the interstate. Since the ICE is going to run the whole time I am on the interstate regardless of state of charge, I can't see how it's more efficient to try to only use ICE and gliding during the slower part. Aside from coasting downhill where gliding is surely more efficient than having the slight drag that comes from completely letting off the gas pedal, my intuition tells me that using EV as much as possible under 45MPH is the best course of action for me.

Am I mistaken?

14. jnadke

jnadke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, the Hybrid System Indicator should be set to the factory default display.

I mean, it's the next best thing in the Prius to having RPMs (tachometer).

Drive to make the HSI efficient, and everything else comes second. It tells you your breaking power (little as possible, as friction brakes are not "On/Off", but are blended in), when you're using electric motor, and when you're using engine power.

RED is not necessarily bad on HSI. It's RED because it's unsustainable. I believe on the red mode, the car is using every motor possible in addition to the engine (meaning - nothing is generating power, it's all being consumed from the battery). Correct me if I'm wrong.

15. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Still getting the hang of it...this is a confusing display to work but got 48.7 mpg today... my coworker has had a lot of time riding in various Prii this week due to being without a car and she said today, "I used to think Priuses were ugly but they are really growing on me and the gas mileage you are getting is just blowing me out of the water."

Then the comments: "Doesn't it freak you out when it shuts off like that?" (at a stoplight...)

"It makes a lot of noises and then it makes none. That is so weird...."

"Pulse and glide? What is that?"

"You look like you are having fun driving this car. It looks fun to drive."

Finally she asked, "What is the base price?":D

The place we went to for dinner has been a Prius parking lot the past few times I visited. When I brought my coworker home last week and we stopped by this tiny oyster restaurant a Blizzard Pearl joined mine in the lot. Today three others in shades of silver and grey joined mine.

There must be Kool Aid in the water here...;)

16. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Six months ago I told my wife that there was no way I'd ever buy a weird looking Prius. Things changed and now here I am, and telling how much I like driving the car! All the displays give a nice distraction from commuting monotony. I find I do good mpg when I don't try, the key seems to be keeping things steady if I can. Cruise control and long highway time have proven to be mpg killers. I do like to take advantage of the hills though, getting some good speed and still having 100 on the HSI!

OceanEyes likes this.
  17. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, cruise control and long highway time don't allow you to "game the system" and use all the various techniques to improve mileage. The interesting thing about cruise control on a flat highway, it shows why the dreaded 55 mph speed limit of the 70's and 80's really did save gas. Its all about wind resistance, rolling tire resistance and road condition for the speed you are traveling. We recently did a 400 mile each way trip. Outbound at about 58 mph the display said 52 mpg and returning at 70 mph it said 48.7 mpg. Since it wasn't all flat the averages were somewhat dominated by some mountain travel. Watching the consumption display on the flatland, the difference was more like 55 mpg at 58 and 46 mpg at 70.

Weird looking. What weird looking? All the cars are more and more looking like the Prius for lower wind resistance. Gone are the days when you could quickly identify models and manufacturers. Of course 14 mpg was no big deal with 27 cent gas.

Chris S and OceanEyes like this.
  18. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I
    I miss those old days, when horsepower trumped mpg and we were watching the tach instead of the HSI! Not that the mpg game isn't fun though.
    You are right though, now I think the Prius looks cool, a few mods to make it my own and then it'll be a little different and just perfect.

19. Neohybrid

Neohybrid Not-so-junior member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Six years ago I never would have thought I would own one (now two) and have so much fun driving a car that doesn't win in the quarter mile. I've owned those 60's muscle cars that got 10mpg on a good day - they were fun to drive too, but for a different reason. I got my first ticket about 2 months after getting my license for "participating in a speed contest". My second ticket three weeks later was for "excessive noise" - aka leaving part of my tires on the pavement and not for the Thrush mufflers.

I imagine I could certainly get a ticket for speeding in the Prius or get a ticket for not coming to a full stop at the stop sign, but I doubt I will get either one of the two listed above. And looks? I get more comments on the looks of the gen III than I ever thought possible - and from some people I never thought would make those comments. It does look good - IMHO.

OceanEyes likes this.