1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pressing horn activates AC and vice versa

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nicotin3, Jun 13, 2015.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I certainly hope that before you did all of that, you disconnected the 12 V battery and waited the necessary time for disarming of the airbag system. Otherwise, I am glad you are uninjured. You might have a small celebration, then come back to the remaining problems.

-Chap

2. Nicotin3

Nicotin3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I forgot to check the 12v battey health, but I remember that in ready mode, with the lights off, it was 13,8V.

I did wait 10 minutes before I disconnected the airbag. I was planning to open and check the "clock spring" also, but I didn't do it because I need to center back the steering wheel and I am not the most accurate person :)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm sorry nicotine, i'm out of stupid suggestions.(n) all the best!(y)

Nicotin3 likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. Less for me to worry about. :)

Not very hard really. If it is centered when you remove it, and you don't disturb the column shaft, you'll be able to tell how it goes back on. The shaft is splined and the splines are coarse enough that if you start it on one spline to the left or right, you'll see it's not where it should be.You can also make mating marks on the wheel and the end of the shaft before pulling it.

The other thing that has to be centered is the clockspring itself before you put it back on. It is a wound-up cable after all; you just need to check how far you can spin it in either direction, then spin it back half that distance from the end, and reattach it to your (still centered) steering column. Those directions should be right on the yellow label on the clockspring itself, so not easy to forget. :)

-Chap

Nicotin3 likes this.
  5. timothysk

timothysk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    I just recently encountered the same problem. Exactly after using the foam cleaner in ducts :/ I wonder if you ever found solution to this issue?

6. Tails06

Tails06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I encountered the same problem today. Used AC cleaning foam: it should be alcohol based, but it it had also copper and silver ions for antibaterial purposes - I don't know if much enough to conduct electricity or rather there was water in the mixture.

After couple of hours I started my car and noticed excess of liquid leaking on the passenger floor mat. Hour later I found out that "temperature down" button on steering wheel doesn't work.

...soon more silly things began to happen:
    - "temperature down" starts navigation
    - "map" does nothing
    - "temperature up" LOWERS the temperature instead of making it higher
    - "A/C Auto" activates AC and horn for 2-15 seconds

Also after turning on ignition (without pressing brake, not "ready" mode) diagnostic screen was appearing instead of normal screen. But no error codes or OBD readings.

Symptoms pointed to a clock spring connector, although my car has only 100kkm on odometer and shouldn't be worn out. I even managed to order replacement one for ~20$, but then I found this thread... And quickly went to car, turned on heating to max with AC, sprayed some isopropyle on every connector and wire visible after removing the glove box.

For now everything is back to normal. I hope it stays so. Probably vent pipes are not sealed well enough in case of using foam and drop liquid straight on some humidity-sensitive electronics, which may lead to malfunction or even permament damage.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Stefan4

Stefan4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello,
    I have a Prius Gen 2 and I have the exact same problem described in this forum. I cleaned AC with spray foam and it started dripping on the inside floor mats both passenger and driver mats. Now after about 24 hours when I press the horn, the AC starts or stops the same way I would press the steering AC button control. when pressing the horn, it will not stop till removing the fuse.
    Can anyone suggest what connectors to clean ? Would be under steering wheel ? (with the assumption it is related to wheel controls) or the connectors under the glove compartment where the filter and AC is...
    I checked the connectors by hand but nothing suspicious.
    Anyone was able to fix and trace back to a connector fault ?
    Right now I am trying to get any moisture out of the car by running hot vents and leaving the car in the sun.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,
    Stefan

8. Stefan4

Stefan4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello, Were you able to fix this ? Having the same issue. Thanks

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe the clock spring?

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Totally off/topic, but once I reversed left turn signal light and windshield washer motor plugs. Everything went smooth till I made a left turn…

11. timothysk

timothysk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Our problem went away on its own. We didn't use the steering buttons for a bit, but after a month or so it went back to normal. I can't guarantee that it will clear for everyone but I'd say be patient before removing trims or steering wheel if you can live without the buttons for few days/weeks.

12. Marius27

Marius27 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Having the exact same thing happened to me today. God damn those AC cleaners! Dasboard won’t turn off, only engine. Commands on steering wheel are reversed. All kind of crazy stuff. Hope staying in the sun will fix it.