1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prestigious Society Navi hack installed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by RadioZero, Sep 26, 2009.

1. hptsang

hptsang Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    sounds like the hack and the video feeds will be something I would do after my warranty.

2. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    OK, my car has successfully survived my installation of the Prestigious Society Nav hack. It took me an hour from start to finish, which included taking pictures and 5 to 10 minutes trying to figure out where to tape the PS unit (which I gave up on).

Here are my pictures:

Picasa Web Albums - Greg - Install Nav Hack

Here are my notes:

1. As promised by RadioZero, it only took one pry of the screwdriver to start the disassembly. It was fairly easy to pull the dash pieces apart after that. My only boo boo was not having a long enough socket wrench extension when I went to remove the 2 bottom bolts. I rubbed the socket wrench handle on an edge of the dash at one point, which was enough to cause some minor discoloration. Anyone know how to fix that?

2. Contrary to the instructions, I did not disconnect the battery or any of the connectors connected to the dash or console pieces. You are warned not to disconnect power to the nav unit if you fail to disconnect the battery.

3. I routed the switch wire as soon as I got the nav unit free from the dash. I haven't decided whether to try to attach it to the lower dash anywhere.

4. FYI, the nav unit is held on by 4 bolts, and by some dash connector style plastic clips. The nav unit was not all that heavy, but you do want to be careful when you go to pull it free of the clips. After that, you can just sort of balance it on the shifter, with a blanket underneath it.

5. Each of the electrical connectors has a tab that has to be held down as you pull the connector out. As has already been said, you want to make sure you hear a click when you plug each car connector into the PS connectors, and each PS connector into the nav. Actually, the hardest connection I had to make was plugging the PS switch into the PS unit. Seemed to take a lot of work to get that plug shoved all the way in (almost flush with the unit).

6. I was a little surprised that the Nav unit made some mechanical noises when I first connected all the PS connectors, prior to powering the car on. I guess just connecting the connectors causes some kind of interaction with the nav unit, like the ECU talking to the nav and seeing if it is live or something. Not sure if it was the dvd or cd player spinning or just electrical mechanical relays clicking.

7. Ultimately, I blew off trying to tape down the PS unit anywhere, and just decided to let it dangle in the void underneath the nav unit. I know RadioZero said he taped his down somewhere, but I couldn't seem to find a place that worked, the tape gave out, and I didn't see any harm in letting it dangle. FYI, there's a large void underneath the nav unit. I'm surprised Toyota didn't try to put some sort of storage drawer or shelf in there.

8. I started the car before putting everything back together. You have to wait for some sort of dvd initialization procedure to finish the first time you start the car.

9. After that initialization, if you press the PS button, you are pretty much freezing the movement of the car on the screen, although I suppose it might eventually try to do dead reckoning. I entered a destination while moving and then discovered the nav was not set to the right region. I had to start over and press the button a 2nd time, since I ran over the 5 minute delay. I'm pretty sure the car was set to the right region before I did the installation, but I could be wrong. I then had to push the PS switch again, to allow the nav and guidance to start working again. It sort of found itself pretty quickly, but was wonky for at least 30 to 60 seconds.

2 people like this.
  3. RadioZero

RadioZero Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    wow, our navi units look totally different from the rear. mine was aluminum on the back more like a casting, not black stamped steel. what is the production date of your car?

other than that, glad to hear the install went well.

4. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    04/09; #1114 (out of that particular plant).

5. RadioZero

RadioZero Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four

hmm, mine's 05/09 # 3219. wish i had taken pics of the rear of the unit.

6. Lucky2beme

Lucky2beme 1st Time Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The voice features are gravely inferior!!!
    We make a game of trying to say various commands and laugh at what it comes back with.

Plus you can't search for places by name only near here! etc.

I would rather make Toyota admit they are not my Mother and they should not restrict my use of the system I paid for.

The only reason I bought the inferior GPS is because I wanted the solar roof! Any of my hand-held Garmins are much better than this one! :eek:

7. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It does seem a bit lacking... when the screen comes up warning you to keep your eyes on the road, pay attention, and be responsible "paraphrased" that should cover it all.

Fortunately, my cellphone (with text messaging, internet, movies, satellite weather etc etc), radio, CD player, Airconditioner controls, buttons and vent louvers, Heated seat button " works while moving", Headlight switch, buttons on the steering wheel, Cruise control levers, windshield wiper settings, lighted visor, interior light buttons, Solar roof controls, Coffee-drink holders, glove box, and of course.... my electronic nose picker doesnt lock me out while moving, so Im not sure what they are so afraid of.

All of which require my attention and eyes to be off the road momentarily to tend to.

God Forbid anyone would actually need to "navigate" while moving!

8. Lucky2beme

Lucky2beme 1st Time Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you!

I agree, but remember, we are not just talking about the driver, here... My passenger can not use the Nav system while I am driving either!!!!! :mad:

Where is it a danger or illegal for a passenger to do anything (except drink!) while I am driving?!?

9. HondaConvert

HondaConvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm seriously considering this. The price seems fair to me, and I think I can handle the installation. The only reason I haven't bought it already is I don't like the thought of a sticky-taped switch jerry-rigged on my new 2010 dashboard. Seems like they could easily get a very standard Prius-shaped switch to mount in that same place where you stuck your switch.

Anyone have ideas on that?

Also, I don't have the DVD system installed, so I'm really just interested in the NAV lockout override, so having a round bulbous switch with TV on it, just feels kludgy.

I want my shiny new Prius to still look shiny and new when I'm done hacking it.

10. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I do this on our Lexus - it infuriates her - but is amusing to find what random command comes up

11. that.ubercool

that.ubercool New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    great instructions. Thanks for sharing. Good job

12. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I read this twice and I like to sum up in my word before order.

So to sum of of what I understand, there are 2 solutions here. PS and Navtool.

PS can help to do all the Nav & phones functions which stock car can't do while in motion.

On the other hand, Navtool can do above AND offer a RCA input and we can use any portable DVD player or video iPod to watch video feed in the Nav screen while the car in motion.

It seems to me both solutions are plug and play and no need to cut any original wires.

If my above are correct, PS $300 vs $ Navtool $450 and I pay extra $150 for the RCA in for nav screen.

Thanks for your answer/confirmation in advance.

13. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The Prest. Soc. hardware does not give you any audio or video inputs. It only does the Nav hack. I don't think NavTool or VaisTech do the Nav hack. It is probably possible to combine the PS with either the NavTool or VaisTech (based on info from PS).

14. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks ggood! I spoke with them this morning and now I understand the whole game now.

PS will be able to do the unlock function ONLY while the car in motion.

Navtool offers RCA input but need to cut OEM wires in order to do above.

If combine both, it will be a true plug and play and no need to cut any wires at all.

VaisTech does not have any app for our Pirus yet and when they do it will be only for iPhone and Ipod video in not RCA for any portable DVD player.