1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prestone Asian antifreeze at Walmart

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Georgina Rudkus, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you only have to replace your coolant every 50,000 miles or so, why gamble on "close enough.....maybe?"

ESPECIALLY if you're mixing.

ASRDogman, Mendel Leisk and Valiant V like this.
  3. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That coolant is the "red coolant", not the Pink 00272-SLLC2 required by most Toyotas (3rd gen for sure).

My local dealer sells the coolant for pickup only (normally they charge $14.95 for shipping on orders)
    https://parts.conicellitoyotaofconshohocken.com/oem-parts/toyota-toyota-50-50-pre-diluted-super-long-life-antifreeze-coolant-00272sllc2

NOTE the Toyota MSRP is only $20.42 for this coolant (my dealer charges $19.25). Price is not the reason for using something else.

Would I consider using this Prestone brand Red Coolant in an emergency, such as a radiator hose blowing on 4th of July weekend? Yes I probably would, if the alternative was towing it to a dealer and renting a car for 3 days. But I would replace it with Toyota coolant soon afterwards.

Raytheeagle, ETC(SS) and Valiant V like this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The Toyota branded Super Long Life coolant currently sold today isn't the same coolant that was supplied at the factory until maybe the current year. The earlier coolant has a yellow cap to distinguish it form the current pink jug sold today.

Simply put, a well equip chemistry lab can and does easily analyze the makeup of any coolant, which they do. The coolant formula is not patented and any manufacturer can readily replicate it. Patents are required to fully disclose the formulation and last only 20 years. Trade secrets, if protected by non-disclosure agreements last forever. Toyota does not manufacture their own coolant, they have a major manufacturer make if for them.

If you are changing your coolant, today and purchase SLCC coolant, you will almost never be able to remove all of the old coolant. So, you are mixing the pink capped jug formula with the original yellow capped formula.

Zerex Valvoline started to manufacture SLCC equivalent coolant in 2014.

I can use the Zerex Valvoline with confidence that it is compatible and provides the same service qualities as the Toyota branded coolant.

So, like 0w20 synthetic oil, Mobil 1 is equivalent to Toyota supplied oil. Its likely that Mobil 1 packages it's oil and ships it to Toyota in their branded container.

I can be assured that Mobil 1 oil is adequately sufficient for the needs of my engine,

#5 Georgina Rudkus, Jun 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2021