1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pretty much my view on Christmas...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Dec 13, 2006.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Dec 13 2006, 03:24 PM) [snapback]361905[/snapback]</div>
    Just because it's a parody religion, doesn't mean it's not true! And its recent origin cannot be used against it. Every religion was one year old at one point. But the fact that Pastafarianism has grown so rapidly (it's the fastest-growing religion in the world today) is just one more proof that it is the true religion. Clearly, the FSM is causing his religion to be so successful.

RAmen.

2. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Dec 13 2006, 06:24 PM) [snapback]361905[/snapback]</div>
    A Parody: taken fron wikpedia,
    In contemporary usage, a parody is a work that imitates another work in order to ridicule, or poke some affectionate fun at the work itself.

So yes its not true its a parody... ( but at least you believe in something ) I like the part where if your non -gay you'd better beware of the FSM..... :rolleyes:

3. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Dec 14 2006, 03:24 AM) [snapback]362087[/snapback]</div>
    You are correct, except in your assumption that merely because it was created as a parody, it cannot also be true. Bobby Henderson thought he was making up a bit of silliness, but unbeknownst to himself, the FSM was actually inspiring him. As a result, it is a parady, and it's also true.

Your second paragraph is ambiguous:

Do you mean to say ...it's not true. It's a parody.? Or do you mean to say ... it's not true [that] it's a parody.? Because if the latter, then I wholeheartedly welcome you into the fold. Drop by my house and we'll have spaghetty and beer. (I drink non-alcoholic beer, but I'll have whatever kind you like for you.)

But you're also mistaken when you say that I believe in it. But again, just because I don't believe in it myself doesn't mean it's not true. Lots of Christians don't actually believe in that either.

RAmen.

4. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Dec 13 2006, 01:06 PM) [snapback]361497[/snapback]</div>

Who are "we"...are you just talking about the extreme consumerism. The spiritual meaning of Christmas is centuries old.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Dec 13 2006, 01:16 PM) [snapback]361507[/snapback]</div>
    No, if you were a Christian in the early times, you were persecuted and could end up DEAD. Soooo...what better way to openly worship Christ than to make it LOOK like you were worshipping th pagan gods.

FWIW, isn't it obvious by now that most people know what Christmas is about and don't even remember the pagan stuff, unless they study up on it......

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Dec 13 2006, 01:43 PM) [snapback]361537[/snapback]</div>
    I find it fantastic that so many "pagan" rituals were co-opted by Christianity....what a way to quash gods and "Praise" GOD.

5. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Dec 13 2006, 08:24 PM) [snapback]361905[/snapback]</div>

A-HA, a PARODY.....I KNEW IT! Only ignoramuses would start a religion based on a parody!

6. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Dec 14 2006, 06:11 PM) [snapback]362550[/snapback]</div>
    Better be careful here - Mormonism is based on a proven fraud. Yet it's become as established a sect as Judaism, Protestantism, Catholicism or Islam in terms of the respect accorded it. I read or heard somewhere that Mormonism is either THE fastest or in the top 2 or 3 fastest growing sects in the world.

Atheist that I am, I don't regard those who hold religius beliefs as ignoramuses. True, there is a positive (and strong) correlation between degree of education and disbelief in deity, but calling someone an ignoramus because they believe in Poseidon, or Atlas, or FSM, or Jesus, or the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster is unnecessarily insulting. The emotional drive to believe in some sort of supernatural being is strong and universal in human culture - you can't attribute it simply to 90% of the world's population being ignoramuses (much as the temptation to do so is sometimes overwhelming).

The amazing thing is, everyone on the planet is an atheist. Whichever god or gods any individual believes in, there are other gods they don't believe in. Those who call themselves christians don't believe in Thermopylae. Or Zeus. Or Thor. Those gods had just as much establishment backing in their heyday as today's gods enjoy. So how does one choose which god to believe in? I don't think we choose - our parents choose, we follow the lead of our friends and social circle. Everyone's first god is local, the one being worshipped by our immediate family and close friends. Later on we may widen our vision and look to other gods, or widen our vision further still and recognize that if all the rest of the world's gods have so far proven pointless, the likelihood that our own god is equally as pointless approaches probabalistic certainty. As we atheists say, we're ALL atheists - it's just that the number of gods we believe in is one less.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

7. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  8. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Dec 14 2006, 10:11 PM) [snapback]362550[/snapback]</div>
    And I once had it told to me by Harlan Ellison at a writing workshop that L. Ron Hubbard founded Dianetics to win a bet.

9. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Dec 14 2006, 09:11 PM) [snapback]362550[/snapback]</div>
    Rumor has it that Elron Hubbadub started Sc!ent*l*gy on a bet with a fellow sci fi author that he couldn't start a religion and make a million dollars.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Dec 14 2006, 06:11 PM) [snapback]362550[/snapback]</div>
    You only just now figured out that the Gospel of the FSM was written to make fun of fundamentalist Christianity??? Just remember, as I said in my previous post: just because it was written as a joke doesn't mean it's not true.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Dec 14 2006, 07:09 PM) [snapback]362568[/snapback]</div>
    The Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster is a drink, not a god.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Dec 14 2006, 07:09 PM) [snapback]362568[/snapback]</div>
    And Thermopylae is a place, not a god. A famous battle was waged there. It made some of the earliest history books. But you knew this, right? You're just teasing.

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Dec 14 2006, 10:09 PM) [snapback]362568[/snapback]</div>
    Another famous saying: "The reason you don't believe in those gods is the same reason I don't believe in yours."

12. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 14 2006, 08:15 PM) [snapback]362602[/snapback]</div>
    You tell Ford Prefect that! I'm pretty sure he'd disagree with you, then offer to have one with you. Maybe two.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 14 2006, 08:15 PM) [snapback]362602[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I'm teasing, but I did think that clipper ship was named after a god - it sailed fast as a god, anyway. Thanks for keeping me honest!

13. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is just another example of the ever changing world & the level of brain washed people out there.
    I think the -WE- He/She is referring to is the FSM. they have an FSM in their pocket . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Atheists :
    Per Wikpedia,
    In recent years, some atheists have adopted the terms strong and weak atheism to clarify whether they consider their stance one of positive belief that no gods exist (strong atheism), or of mere absense of belief that gods exist (weak atheism).[10]

Many self-described atheists share common skeptical concerns regarding empirical evidence for supernatural claims. They cite a lack of evidence for the existence of deities. Other rationales for atheism range from the personal to the philosophical to the social to the historical. Additionally, while atheists tend to accept secular philosophies such as humanism, naturalism and materialism, they do not necessarily adhere to any one particular ideology, nor does atheism have any institutionalized rituals or behaviors.[11]

For the rest of the story:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism\

Per the article Im guessing the Atheists we have here are the weak ones, as they bring up thor and the other gods as examples. A Strong Atheist believes that no gods exist.

From what I can tell the downward spiral really started the faster spin cycle in the 80's until we crash and burn. ;)

In the end when we die I guess thats when we find out if our religious beliefs hold true. until then we all will believe in what we do so now.

Its funny how so many atheists have some form of belief in 'christianity' or it wouldnt bother them so much..

14. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Dec 13 2006, 09:00 AM) [snapback]361423[/snapback]</div>
    Well said Squid!

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Dec 15 2006, 03:04 AM) [snapback]362675[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with the above definitions of "strong" and "weak" atheists. I am a strong atheist. I believe that no gods exist. This contradicts my belief in the FSM. But since when is a person prohibited from believing in contradictory things? Christians do it every day!

If there is an after-life, we will find out about it when we die. However, if (as I believe) there is no after-life, then we will find out nothing at all when we die. We will simply cease to exist.

One need not "believe" in Christianity to be concerned about it: The religion as an institution and a generalized belief affects our entire social structure, and therefore affects every one of us. Let me offer an absurd example: If the head of the CIA came to believe that you were the new number two man in al Qaeda, you would be very concerned, even though you did not "believe" that he was right. I believe that Christians are utterly wrong in their beliefs, and that their beliefs have absolutely no basis in fact. And yet their beliefs affect every aspect of my life because they are able to use their political power to pass laws based on those beliefs, and because their beliefs inform deep social norms and taboos, and therefore I am concerned.

RAmen.

16. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 15 2006, 12:55 PM) [snapback]362751[/snapback]</div>
    I would imagine a "strong" believer would not even allow for the possibility. Just how much do you believe there is no after-life, as we generally know it to be?

17. jtullos

jtullos New Member

I'm a strong Atheist as well. I don't believe in any dieties. But that doesn't mean I'm right. I realize that the fact is, we simply don't know. That doesn't define my religion, it defines my realization of how things are. So, for all we know, Pastafarianism may be right, Christianity may be right, any (non-disproved) religion could be right. Or they could all be wrong.

I can allow for the possibility that I might be wrong. But that doesn't change my belief one bit.

And on the original topic, I can say Merry Christmas all I want. It's a federal holiday, whether I celebrate it in the proper religious manner or not. And if someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I'm fine with that. It's the same to me as someone saying have a good day. They're just picking December 25th as the day, instead of another day. When someone starts preaching at me, then I might get annoyed. But most people don't, so it's not a big deal.

18. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Basicly in a nut shell,

So I guess we should just celibrate the holidays in our own ways and not belittle another persons beliefs,
    even if we may think there beliefs are wrong.....

Enjoy the holiday with family and friends, Merry Holidays! ;)

PS I wonder if the Jehova's Witnesses celibrate Christmas?

I know they dont celibrate most holidays... :huh

Im NOT going to knock someone else for NOT believing in the same religion I do, nor am I going to cram the bible down anyones throat. If they are intrested I will tell them, otherwise I follow my faith ..

19. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 15 2006, 11:55 AM) [snapback]362751[/snapback]</div>
    Precisely! Christians are already strong atheists of all Gods except the Abrahamic one. There is already a good word for weak atheist: agnosthic.

20. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I proudly label myself as an Agnostic; I think a lot of self-proclaimed Atheists are really Agnostic, but they don't call themselves that because it doesn't sound as cool.