1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pretty Sure my HV Battery is about done.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MPGHokage, Jun 30, 2018.

1. MPGHokage

MPGHokage Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey guys, I bought a 2008 Toyota Prius, and I'm thinking the HV Battery is just about on its last legs. I budgeted for the expense so it's not a big deal as I was expecting it. However, I want your input before I buy one.

My average MPG has been sitting around 36-42 with it dropping about 10% within the last 3 months

When I go on break from work I frequently (though not always) will go from 1 bar in the green to 1 bar purple in about 3600 feet (I measured it on google maps). In which case my acceleration from zero is quite pathetic.

I bought a Prolong Grid Charger, and I'm confident that it's the reason it has lasted so Long.

Otherwise I think I should replace the battery now before it fails and potentially leaves me stranded.

Would I be best to get a battery from NewPriusBatteries.com | Home ? I Have the ability to replace it myself so that's not an issue.

Or would my best bet be to just go to the dealership and spend the extra 1000$ which I would prefer I didn't do.

Thanks for the Input! Let me know if I left any information out that could help!

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    With a Prolong setup another option might be to look at local salvage yard for a late Gen3 (2013 through 2015) and swap all the modules;).

You’ve got the right equipment, and I bet the salvage yard pack won’t be too pricey :).

Another option worth considering (y).

SFO and jerrymildred like this.
  3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you gone to the dealer parts department and found out what their best price is on a battery?
    If you have a few dealers, call around.

jerrymildred and ITBland like this.
  4. MPGHokage

MPGHokage Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Gen 3s work? Hmmph, I might have to look into it haha

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Same number of modules ;).

All you have to do is remove them from the Gen3 case and put them into your existing Gen2 case:).

So some assembly required ;).

Good luck with your decision (y).

6. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I'd place a preorder for the NewPriusBatteries.com | Home right now.. and then decide later.. they are still at least a month out.. Sell the core batteries that are functional on ebay..