1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prevent key damage

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by trogong, Dec 7, 2012.

1. trogong

trogong New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    1) The manual says to not attach metallic materials to the keys. I have my home key on the same key ring as my Prius electronic key and they often rest on each other when in my pocket. Is that ok? I'm sure thousands of other people do also, so I presume it's ok, but the manual statement above seems to suggest otherwise.

2) The manual also states to carry the electronic key 3.9 in. or more away from electric appliances that are turned on. I suppose that would include cell phones and hand held GPS devices, right? I would think many people would violate this restriction too, but I doubt it is causing a problem or the problem would be wide spread.

What am I missing?

2. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nothing but physics. The fob puts out a low power signal and any metalic or electromagnetic radiation may cause interference and compromise the signal making it more difficult for the vehicle to recieve the signal, and vice versa.

3. trogong

trogong New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. So having the fob on a key ring may cause a problem? I would think most people would have their fobs attached to a key ring, so must not be much of a problem? Also, the manual says to not attach metallic materials to the fob so as not to damage the key, not for the vehicle to receive the signal.

Prius owners: Do you have keys with your fob on a key ring? Is your fob within 4 inches of a cell phone or electronics when driving the car or otherwise using the fob? Have you had any problem with your fob as a result?

4. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius

I've never had an issue with the FOB being on a key ring in over 3 years.

My FOB battery life was shortened though when I used to leave my keys on a shelf that was shared with a wireless interent router. Seems that the router kept the FOB "busy" as it constantly sends out it's signals. Now they are kept apart and battery life is not an issue any longer.

In the few months of the year here when I use a jacket, the odd time a pocket will be shared with a cell phone and the FOB on it's key ring. Whenever possible I like to have them in separate pockets to prevent scratches to my iPhone, but, when they have been inside the same pocket, never any issue with bluetooth, or the car detecting the key etc.

Roland

5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If this were true, the manual key inside the fob would be ceramic.

CaliforniaBear likes this.
  6. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No problem mixing and matching metal on my key fob... loving the Smart Key feature where the key can be in a pocket and I can touch the door -poof- it unlocks. Reverse key withdrawal now - I threw the truck keys on the seat and started looking for a button to push to start it...

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Most of us have the fob on a key ring. It is possible that adjacent metal keys could reduce the range of the fob, but I've never had any trouble with it.

As for cell phones, some people have experienced trouble with that. In addition to interference, a cell phone can cause a fob to repeatedly broadcast, reducing the life of the fob battery. It's not the end of the world, but be aware of the risk in case you notice any sort of trouble.

Tom

8. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Well, it's not REAL!!!

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I dont keep my house keys on the fob. I leave it on a shelf near the door and pocket it as I leave. I have my cel phone wallet and other things in a small bag which I store under the shifter.

9. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've never heard of metallic radiation :) Here's a picture of my key fob.
    [​IMG]

10. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Metallic radiation comes from the isotopes found in metals. Generally it's best to avoid those commonly found in reactors, but they can be beneficial when locating lost keys.

;)

Tom

11. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Okay, metallic radiation :) I hope the amount of U235 in my fob is quite low.

12. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Toyota normally uses mostly U238 as it is much cheaper, except in some parts of the former Soviet Union.

Tom