1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

preventative services, costs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by joe350gt, Mar 27, 2007.

1. joe350gt

joe350gt It's too windy here...

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all,

I spoke with my dealer's (Eddy's Toyota in Wichita, Ks.) service dept. this morning about some preventative maint. stuff. My Prius is an '05, put into service 10/27/05 and I've got 62,531 miles on it as we "type"!! I generally average over 250K on my cars for work so I want to avoid having my car grenade on me and costing big bucks to fix. They quoted me a price of $129.95 for a transmission flush and fill. He told me it takes 16 quarts to fill the trans and that just a drain and fill would leave most of the fluid in the trans/converter. He also tried to get me to do a "max" service on my car for $429.95 which would include oil change and filter, air filter, brake fluid flush and fill, check the brake pads/shoes, flush/fill engine coolant, fuel injection cleaning and throttle body cleaning. In other words, the kitchen sink!! The basic full service as far as just checking most of those fluids was around $300.

Now of course I've read here in the Forums that the transmission can't even be flushed but can just be drained and filled. According to the service advisor they have a machine they connect to the trans that pumps new fluid through the whole thing. Could they just want to do the drain and fill for $128 and tell me that they've changed all the fluid? I just don't have a very good feeling about what he told me. Most of my miles are highway and the car is less than 18 months old for crying out loud!!... No dirt roads, desert or towing. All I've had done on it so far are new tires, oil and filters changes, window tint, air filters (Just put a K & N in it) and one alignment because it was pulling to the right a little. Oh and the steering shaft TSB too. I feel like getting a gallon of the WS for the trans and doing it myself. I think the dealer is just trying to make some easy money off me myself. What does everybody else think??

Joe

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The service advisor works on a commission basis. The more he sells you, the more he earns.

Just follow the maintenance schedule that came with your car.

3. engworks

engworks New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joe350gt @ Mar 27 2007, 06:14 PM) [snapback]413208[/snapback]</div>

Ummm, I looked up Hybrid Transaxle

Drain and Fill: Up to 3.8 US. qt. (3.6 L; 3.2 Imp. qt.)

Fluid Type Toyota Genuine ATF WS or equivalent

Converter???? Prius have a CVT..

I would get a second opinion of needed service.

Eric

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(engworks @ Mar 27 2007, 06:52 PM) [snapback]413227[/snapback]</div>
    Galaxee posted the attached service schedule. (See Bill, I got better about remembering where I steal stuff from.) ;)

Attached Files:

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    read what jimn posted, you can also find the thread stickied in the care/maintenance forum. we got sick of hearing about people getting ripped off.

anytime they use the word "flush" it means "run like hell" and the words "max service" mean "bring the lube, you're gonna need it"

6. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Change the oil and filter, air filter, cabin air filter, keep the tire pressure correct, and wash the car every year or so. If leaks appear on the garage floor then have it checked. Over maintenance does more harm than good.

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Mar 27 2007, 06:34 PM) [snapback]413271[/snapback]</div>
    You make me proud, Jim! :)

8. Teal

Teal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    30K service

Hi Folks,

I am new to this forum and am really happy to have found it. My prius which I purchased in May 2005 is a few hundred miles short of its 30k service. Novato, CA Toyota has given me a cost of $475 which sounds rather steep. I have not yet asked them what they do for this. Does anyone know, can you recommend what actually needs to be done, and does anyone know a good place to order things like an air and cabin filter with fair prices. I know I can change the air filter, but really would like some advice on the cabin filter. Any other relevant info would be greatly appreciated as well. Thank you.

Cheers,
    Teal

Fuel peace, drive a hybrid!

9. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Every dealer has a menu of standard services which includes everything they can possibly think of, regardless of whether it can be performed on a Prius or not. Anyone who strolls in and says "gimme yer X miles service" gets screwed.

Instead, read the scheduled maintenance guide for your Prius. Take it to the service writer, show them the appropriate service interval page and tell them to do the stuff shown there, no more and no less. If they still quote you a price much over $100 or try to sell you a transmission flush, engine shampoo or some such crap, go to another dealer.

And it is dead easy to replace the cabin air filter yourself. Follow the directions shown in the owner's manual. You can usually even vacuum off the old one and reuse it once or twice for added savings (but don't do that with the engine air filter).

If for some reason you do not have both the owner's manual and the scheduled maintenance guide (they are two separate documents published by Toyota), buy them from a dealer or online. They will save you money and bother. You might also consider Galaxee's maintenance advice a few posts back. It comes from a certified Prius tech and Prius owner and is the straight poop.