1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Preventive maintenance question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Fast track, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Fast track

Fast track Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I’m I have a 2015 Prius four with just over 37,000 miles. Oil and filter is changed every 5,000 miles or every 6 months whichever comes first. I recently had the coolant changed. Transmission fluid drain an fill. Air filter is changed yearly. Car is driven equally city and Highway.
    Here’s my questions: Should I have EGR cleaning as preventive maintenance?
    Fuel system cleaning (local dealer recommended). I add Chevron Techron to fuel tank when oil is changed.

is there some preventive maintenance I’m missing or should consider based on age or mileage? I have all work done at local Toyota dealer.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would just follow the manual. use time instead of miles.

it is early for egr cleaning, but, you can peek into the pipe to have a look at potential clogging.

generally, around 75k should be fine. plus, you have the new rings and pistons which should help.

keep your eye on 12v health and clean/change the cabin filter.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe get the brake fluid changed. That's in the Canadian schedule, every 48K kms or 3 years.

And if you haven't had a "full" brake inspection, Toyota USA spec is tri-yearly or 30K miles, whichever comes first. When dealerships are rotating your tires (every 5k miles or 6 months), they're supposed to do a "visual" inspection of the brakes, but if you look at the schedule (US Warranty and Maintenance Booklet), you'll see that is not mentioned at 30K, and instead there's a vague instruction about checking rotors and so on. Not very clear, for sure.

Throttle body cleaning might be worthwhile. It might be DIY'able, if you're comfortable with light maintenance. @NutzAboutBolts video on the subject:

What I would do a little different than the above, is actually disconnect the throttle body, lift it off the intake manifold (with coolant lines still attached). This affords better access; you can get at both sides easily. There's 2 nuts and 2 bolts you need to remove, and install torque is 7 foot/pounds for both. When reinstalling, go in a criss-cross pattern, a couple of passes.

EGR inspection at 37K miles is a bit premature. Left at least till 50K miles wouldn't be remiss. I got ribbed for doing mine around 70K kms. But yeah, it was carbonning up just nicely. I definitely would NOT ask a dealership to do this. Again, if you can DIY, that's the way to go.

Oil Catch Can?

Anyway, there's a few links in my signature. First one, about EGR, has links to the Repair Manual intake manifold section, which has the aforementioned throttle body torque values, for confirmation.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1 on the brake fluid.
    If it goes from honey colored to Navy Chief coffee colored, consider changing the fluid - even in NV where there’s no moisture to be absorbed by the fluid.
    In your OP you mentioned HAVING stuff done rather than DIY.
    No shame in that, but I would forego the throttle body or fuel injector cleaning since you already put a bottle of cleaner in your gas tank every 5,000 miles.
    Charge yourself $150 for labor and congratulations!
    YOU do it like the pros do it.

If the Techron is really cleaning stuff in your intake that the 10% ethanol is missing, then you should consider adding the bottle a half a tank BEFORE you change the oil.

Other than that?
    Sounds like you are on track to own this car for many more faithful and dependable years of service.

Good Luck!

5. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For a car with that little mileage keep up on filters and fluids that age. Make sure you get the engine coolant and the Inverter coolant. Past that definitely make sure you keep up on greasing the caliper slide pins front and rear and your brakes should last the life of the car if you like to do a lot of regen braking. Definitely stick with the 5k oil changes to delay the whole egr/pcv oil and carbon problems a lot of the guys encounter. Seems like the people who did 10k (or forgot and did more than 10k) oil changes had a lot more issues.

6. OptimusPriustus

OptimusPriustus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I envy those low mileages(y) however, i would not replace air filter yearly unless you mean cabin air filter. It does not hurt of course but i t’s way too often with those yearly mileages IMHO

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes. Though maybe depends on environment, road conditions. I changed our cabin and engine air filters around 85K kms; still seemed too soon for the engine air filter. With our low usage, probably never need to do it again.

Look at them before deciding to change.