1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PRICE DROP=Anybody buy a NEW 'HV' Toyota dealer $1,921.00 battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Jan 7, 2019.

1. ojay

ojay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just spent $1000 on a reconditioned battery. Looks like I really should've waited.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good luck with it!(y)

3. BabbleBits

BabbleBits Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just ordered one from my local Toyota Dealer for my '06 Gen II Prius. What do I need to remove from my battery pack before turning it in as a core? I already have the battery out, so I'm planning on just turning in the core during the same trip that I pick up the new one … but not sure what I need to keep. ??

4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess that’s possible if it’s a long trip. Don’t forget to bring your torque wrench’s with you

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You will need to separate the electronics and some other little bits and pieces, these items go back onto the new battery 20190114_174400.jpeg

6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don’t you need to wrap some parts in electrical tape or something? A full work up would be good to read. I think someone here has one.

BabbleBits likes this.
  7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Turning in your core at the time of picking up the other one can go poorly.

You have to prep the core with items that are in the box of the new one.
    You would have to talk them into letting you take parts out of the box of the new battery before you actually buy it.

Then you would have to open up the old one by removing the metal cover(in the parts department?) and put the require items underneath the metal cover.

Plus you don't want to accidentally leave any of the needed items on the old core and have them send those away.
    That'd be bad.

Do not reuse any of the old items that are replaced by new ones. Do not reuse the old nuts. Use the 6 new ones that are supplied. (And use an inch pound torque wrench to properly tighten them. Don't have the proper wrench? Then buy or borrow one.)
    Do not use the old fuse holder. Do not use the old negative cable. Do not reuse the old positive cable.
    Clean the hybrid battery fan while you are back there as well.

You will need info from you Prius for the parts department to properly credit the core.

8. BabbleBits

BabbleBits Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks JC91006 for the photo. That helps! Gives me a good idea on what I'll be needing to do next. Skibob has suggested it's best to just plan on two trips so that I can get everything packed up they way they want it done in the box they provide for the new one, so I'll do just that. The dealership is not that far away from me.

ericbecky, yeah, the last thing I'd want to do is give something back attached to my core that I'll need to complete the install of the new traction battery. That would be bad!

And thanks for reminding me about getting an inch-pound torque wrench! I don't own one of those … but will real soon. I did clean out the blower … it was definitely nasty in there! Lots of good advise all around. Thanks!

I didn't open up the case to expose or inspect the individual modules … decided to just do the right thing and replace all of it. I was getting the 612 Ground Fault info sub-code, so I suspect I have a leaker in there. 189,000 miles, it's a good time to just get a whole new traction battery … especially with the current $2k pricing from the dealer for the part. Although voltages all looked good, I had been getting weird battery level indications … drop down into purple quickly while climbing a hill for 20 seconds, then pops up past halfway into blue in a minute or two … park it at night in the green zone, only to find it at the bottom of the blue zone when starting it in the morning. I think the battery has gotten tired and is ready to move on into The Good Place.

Thanks all for the awesome replies!

BB

Robert Holt likes this.
  9. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My cost is $1650 brand new from Toyota. That is with commercial discount and I'm not sure what they are w/o discount.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah just my spidey-sense says: keep the old battery until the new one is in, and functioning. It's the one bullet-proof way to the get the parts-swap right.

#30 Mendel Leisk, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  11. JRobertson

JRobertson New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The part number listed in the first few comments is for the 17-19 batteries, or will it fit in a 2005? Mine needs to be replaced and would rather go OEM for peace of mind. Thanks in advance.

12. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are planning to do it yourself, if the dealer will sell you the battery pack without installation, it will only have a one year warranty. If the dealer installs it then the warranty is 3 years.
    Not all dealers will sell you the pack to install yourself. You should be able to verify the part number by checking some dealer parts sites online.

13. JRobertson

JRobertson New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Prodigy, thanks for that info, I didn’t know that the warranty changed with diy installation. What is the part number for the gen ll battery? Or will the battery for the 2017-2019 fit?

Josh

14. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 1yr vs 3yr warranty for a NEW Toyota battery is a moot point.

Skibob and TomB985 like this.
  15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was on my phone earlier. I just followed my own directions and actually searched. ;)

upload_2019-1-19_12-35-53.png

from Battery - Toyota (G9510-47031) | Boch Toyota South

JRobertson, kenoarto and SFO like this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The modules from a 2016 - 2018 Trim Two Liftback fit because they are the only trims with a NiMH battery pack. The pack itself would be different.

#36 Prodigyplace, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    JRobertson likes this.
  17. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly the battery will most likely last almost as long as the original if installed correctly. The 2 years is just an incentive to pay them to install it.

JRobertson and Prodigyplace like this.