1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Price Guesses?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by markabele, Mar 28, 2013.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Think it will be cheaper than the current GenIII? Or do you think they may go a hair more expensive can let the c play in the budget category?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i say they go up a couple hundred bucks. unless there is competition, of which i don't see any.:cool:

3. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    $25,000 - they're going to try to push Li-Ions, if it works $25,000, if it doesn't they'll keep the same price :p

4. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I am very comfortable in saying rather firmly ..... it "ain't" going to be cheaper.

markabele likes this.
  5. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If Toyota is going to try and make hybrid tech more mainstream, then I would think they would come down a bit or stay flat with pricing, just like they did between Gen II and Gen III. They can't come down too much or it will eat into Corolla and Camry sales.

6. priusplusowner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    I dont think they will come down that much in price on the Prius. Prius will probably continue to be aimed at early adopters. For mainstream they are pushing a number of other models with the Prius drive train like the Yaris and Auris hybrid (Prius C in US). Prius IV gen will be the first to show the (hopefully) new THS. On the other hand, the transition to Li-Ion (which is probable on Gen IV) probably wont have a big penalty on the price. My Prius+ (seven seat Prius V) doesnt cost a lot more than the regular Prius sedan (+ 35 000 SEK = 5000 USD roughly). Given that this is a bigger car, the Li Ion doesn't represent all the +5000 USD, more likely +2000 USD or something maybe. Given that Toyota will ramp up the Li Ion production significantly this will drop even more in price....

7. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'll guess $24k, a bit shy of where it is at now when released. Then, like the release of the Gen III, we will see short subsequent price increases. Early adopters will basically benefit more than the 'waiters'...

8. jayyc

jayyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd say only two options will work:
    1. Offer general incremental improvements over Gen 3 on all basic aspects - keep (inflation adjusted) price the same
    2. Offer more luxury and extra features - at a price

In reality though, i would assume it would be a combination of these two but with competition from other hybrid cars and clean diesels stronger than ever, Toyota will need to aim right with pricing.

When I got my Gen 3 in the UK back in 2009, it was a clear class leader in every way. They'd have to do that all-over again for Gen 4 to get me back as a customer and they will have to stay firmly on the ground on pricing as I would not want to pay a larger premium just because it is Hybrid tech.

Michael M. Maslowski and Felt like this.
  9. Johnprius

Johnprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed! (y)

10. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would say similar MSRP but you are paying MSRP (or more initially). Mine stickered for $25.9k and I got it for $21.6k: How to buy a car | PriusChat