1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Price of GAS

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by phenoyz, Feb 9, 2012.

1. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Amazing how much it varies state to state and even within states. Regular $4.479 down two cents from Thursday.

If everyone would stop topping up, there might be enough drop in demand to make a difference. I remember a previous gas "shortage" where they had to impose odd/even fill-ups to stop everyone from filling up every time they were near a gas station.

Overfilling can be bad for your OFVR (Onboard Fueling Vapor Recovery system). Let the auto shut off work.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can't consume more gas by topping up

3. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got nothing against gas guzzlers and in fact I own several classic cars. But after 2008, I learned my lesson bought a weekday gas saving car. People have forgotten so easily about this. Its quite disappointing to see a few irresponsible 4x4 owners, big SUV's using these buying groceries or where ever that quite not really necessary to use it and parking their vehicles while occupying 2 spaces... Things like these that they don't even have any respects and lacking courtesy to others.
    Along the way and somehow we need to move to move on to green energy but we still need fossil fuel as of today in order to develop and move there. its is quite selfish and foolish to kill fossil fuel overnight so this is the effect today. Without gas, stocks and supplies will have shortages and will result inflation, then chaos.
    As of today, I can easily buy lets say a prius prime for I have enough saved. But this car will not fit my criteria because I cant wait from 5 to 10 hours of charging and I need to be on the road roughly 40,000 miles a year. So I have a hybrid and I need fossil fuel.

#263 Classic Car Guy, Jun 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    keep the price high, and the tax higher

TheRedRocker likes this.

5. The 1959 Shell Opel V1 got 376 mpg

And several others have done fuel vaporizer mods, which would use a lot less fuel and make the currently high price of gas not seem like such a big deal if only these were everywhere.

If someone would combine that technology with a hybrid, gosh, hybrids could get more than that.

More info: https://fuel-efficient-vehicles.org/energy-news/?p=1310

But instead Big Oil prevents us from doing this

#265 Deleted member 111882, Jun 19, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2022
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and yet elon managed to circumvent big oil? (n)

Zythryn likes this.
  7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I am highly skeptical of such claims. Seems like snake-oil to me.

If big-oil could keep this tech suppressed, why didn’t they keep EVs under wraps?
    Sure, they are slowing down adoption, but EVs are getting a foothold in the market.

****edit****
    Shoot, Bisco beat me to it:p

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    imo, if there were such a thing as the '100 mpg carbeurator', one of the asian mfgs would have taken advantage of it back in the day, while the big 3 were in cahoots with big oil

Zythryn likes this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    376 MPG | The Story of the 1959 Opel P-1

What become of the 376 MPG Classic 1959 Opel P1, who killed the EPA dream? | GM Inside News Forum

"Early MPG Milestones
    The previous record of 49.73 m.p.g. was broken in 1939 by a 1947 Studebaker achieving mileage of 147 m.p.g.; in 1969, a Fiat 600 established a record of 244.35. In 1973, the 1959 Opel P-1 Hardtop discussed above shattered that record with its 376.59 m.p.g. result. Although heavily-modified experimental cars can today achieve m.p.g. of 2,000+ in specific test conditions, these high-performing road cars—Studebakers, Fiats, the Opel—perhaps demonstrate that fuel efficiency and performance are not so much a function of scientific possibility as will.

Documented Track Results
    The 1959 Opel established its stunning record as it appears in the above photo—on a closed airfield circuit course at a stringently enforced minimum of 30 miles per hour (driving style was not restricted, but tuning modifications were limited to carburetor and ignition adjustments only).

Description and Modifications
    The 1959 Opel is a CaraVan station wagon whose roof was chopped (lowered) and made into a pickup, with a 2-speed chain drive, 4-cylinder motor that is nearly completely insulated (including the entire radiator), a strange air induction (the carburetor has a ¾” bore), and a mid-engine replacement. Its rear wheels are connected to the center of the axle. ..."

It isn't Big Oil that prevents you from doing that.

These tiny demonstration vehicles built for MPG records, are death traps by today's standards, not even close to street legal. (That chopped Opel with very heavily modified engine most certainly wasn't a "high-performing road car" even in that era.) And they achieve their high mpg scores at slow constant speeds on closed tracks, not even close to EPA / CAFE test cycles.

Today's Prii have ICEs that surpass 40% thermodynamic efficiency. That should give you an idea of the upper theoretical bound possible from just fuel burning improvements. Additional MPG improvements would need to come from different directions.

#269 fuzzy1, Jun 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    Trollbait and Zythryn like this.
  10. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
  11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That Opel lacks modern conveniences and safety features. It also had no emission controls, and NOx levels are independent of fuel amount used.

Cars stopped using carbuerators because it is easier to control performance and emissions with vaporizing the fuel inside the cylinder with fuel injection.

Poster on another forum once installed such a system on their lawnmower. It worked; less gas used. It only burned the lighter fractions in the gasoline though. The left over, less volatile portion could be dumped into the tank of the car, as it was only a few cups, but for a car sized system, you'll have gallons of hazardous solvent to dispose of in some way.

Well, the oil companies did block the use of NiMH for EVs for over a decade.

This more likely died to performance and emission issues.

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just returned from my semi-occasional sojourn to the home sod, and I pretty much saw prices ranging from $5.1 to $4.2 ($4.19 was actually the Monday after I returned.)

MANY MANY things vary from state to state! ;)

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  14. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel

So basically an early LPG vehicle as the Gas was Vaporised before sent to the engine. That sounds sooo safe.

That driving position looks pretty uncomfortable too.

D896ACED-348D-454D-BDC1-64FF8A4157DD.jpeg

#274 PaulDM, Jun 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  15. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So what is the fed tax rate on gas? Isn't it like 18 cents/gallon? Well, that still is not going to bring the price to below the $4/gal mark for us. I'd much rather pay tax now and have the roads and bridges maintained.

fuzzy1, Trollbait, Merkey and 3 others like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ah, if only they used the gas tax to repair them :p

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's more an issue that the gas tax hasn't kept up with the times, so it alone isn't enough for repairs.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. just a political hot potato. if the dems can't raise them, and have to go rogue like this, it might never happen.
    i suppose i should be grateful there's a tax at all.

19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  20. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    As someone that lives within 5 miles of where interstate freeway 35W collapsed in Minnesota, I am rather offended that we don’t keep up with maintaining the infrastructure we have.