1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Price Sanity Check - New Noob

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Jim Stoll, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Thanks a ton for the explanation.

Unfortunately, I'm in sales. It can be lucrative, but it was not with the last company, and I just started with this company. That means I'm still developing clients. This probably would not be the year to rely on a federal income tax credit then. :cool:

2. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Finally got an offer I was willing to accept. Then, 10 minutes later, got called back and was told by the internet gal 'ooh, I made a mistake - I kept telling the managers that you want a Yaris.' This, after a ton of emails about the Prius, and me showing up in person and test driving the Prius there after meeting her.

3. dirkpitt73

dirkpitt73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm debating between the L and LE too - trying to find one in blue with black interior is tough where I am. I think the 2019's are about done, 2020's coming in Sep according to my dealer. Trying to decide if I wait for the 2020 or if there will be larger incentives in August to clear out the 2019's. What's the best pre-taxes and fees price y'all have seen on an L? Anyone know if the 2020 will have Android Auto?

Mambo Dave likes this.
  4. Jamesb93612

Jamesb93612 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly, I would look into a Prime. I was able to purchase my Prime Plus at a cheaper price than you reported for an LE. When I factored in incentive rebates and tax credit, my Prime cost a little less than $16k. May be worth looking into even if you are unable to use the full tax credit.

iPad ? Pro

Mambo Dave likes this.
  5. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Just left a large dealership, without an L Eco - they were holding at $24,690 OTD with 7% sales tax. Tag transfer on top of that.

They are claiming that the $3,500 rebate from Toyota for Prime models only applies in certain States. Sure enough, most of the great prices on Primes is California in that price thread.

6. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Fly out. Drive home. Excuse for a road trip...

7. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Vehicle won't be registered in California. Probably won't work.

8. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's been done. I would not dismiss it without research...

9. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It will work. I have done it. You pay about $10 for a temporary transit permit, and that's all you need to drive the car out of state. You don't register the car in California. You do have to pay the state sales tax at the time of purchase, and that may be a bit more than your local sales tax. Most dealerships aren't that familiar with the temporary transit permit, so you have to explain it to them.

Edit - it's called a "One Trip Permit". It specifies for continuous transit with the most direct route, but I doubt this is ever checked. I picked up my car in Sunnyvale, drove it around Los Altos for a few days, then up to Lake County, then down to Folsom, then past Tahoe and out of state (over 6 elapsed days).

FFVR 36

Edit - if you want to not pay the California sales tax, the vehicle cannot be driven in CA and must be shipped to you out of state. I recall there was a tactic near the California border where they would truck it across the border to out of state, then you drive it from there.

#29 jb in NE, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Mambo Dave, Merkey and krmcg like this.