1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pricey Leather Steering Wheel Covers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by lex, Sep 26, 2010.

1. lex

lex 2010 trim level V Prius & a 2005, always garaged

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Wheelskins cover option seems to be the favoured choice here, but I must ask, will conventional leather skins not work for any reason (odd wheel size, other spoke fit issues)? I've laced on four such covers in the past which were high quality leather that look and feel superb while still very affordable. I know the outcome is dependent on patience and care. Are there any features of the Wheelskins that make it truly preferable?

Supporting Prius Chat with a purchase at the store is certainly worthwhile as this is an invaluable resource, no question, but as a cash-strapped graduate student with time in between studies and experience with these covers I'm compelled to ask about using other more affordable leather covers.

What is the Gen II steering wheel diameter, actually?

Many thanks!

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Lex,

I didn't know that there were less pricey, quality alternatives to the Wheelskins ... can you give us a couple of referrals?

Anyways, as to Wheelskins and sizing of the Gen II Prius steering wheel, Peter Senich had this to say on one of the Wheelskins threads:

3. lex

lex 2010 trim level V Prius & a 2005, always garaged

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've used these leather skins in previous cars which have turned out quite nice:

Superior 58-0600B Superskin, Extra Genuine, Black

Price: 15-$20. Often to be found at auto parts stores as well. I'm unsure as to whether the proper size is available at this point, and that may certainly be the advantage to the Wheelskins, however, for what they charge, the sizing should always be perfect without the need to place custom orders.

Thank you for the info!

1 person likes this.
  4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Lex.

Regarding standard sizing of the Wheelskins, I don't know what they use as the standard size for the Gen II (2004-2009 model years) Prius. *

I do know that when I ordered my Wheelskins in 2008-2009, the standard size they sent me fit great -- it wasn't too tight like the one they first sent Peter Senich in 2007.

* EDIT: I see on the Wheelskins website that they still list 13 3/4 X 3 3/4 as the size for the 2004-2009 Prius. I didn't special order a size and I don't know what size they sent me, but I know that whatever they sent fit great without any of the problems Peter Senich had experienced.