1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prii Gurus...please gimme some advice!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LittleRedHen, Feb 5, 2008.

1. LittleRedHen

LittleRedHen New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay, I think I'm pulling the trigger here thanks to all the advice. I offered it to my friend for $21K ($1K less than Kelley Blue Book) in the name of friendship, and as a thank you for making me aware how valuable my car was, to avoid the hassle of selling it thru the standard avenues and to help someone else get on the Prius train!

I found a Metallic Blue 2008 Package 5 for a great price, so with warranty and tax and all that jazz...I'll have a new Prius for around $7500. If my friend doesn't take me up on it, I can sell it locally for closer to KBB value - no harm, no foul!

Again, I really appreciate the insight (oooh...can we use that word on Priuschat? :p) everyone has given me!!

2. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Underwhelmed, to say the least

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For the record, my '08 Base model was priced at $23,575 and there was an '05 Base with 69K miles going for $18K at the dealership here in central CA, so she's looking good at that price, considering.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    $7,500 depreciation in 4 year after how many miles? That's very good!

Only in Prius.

4. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Cool! $7500 for a trade sounds great, though it's still a $7500 out of pocket. But is there something you don't like in your Fully-loaded 04 Prius with HOV (other than Black Color), which you want a 08 Prius instead?

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    $7500 in 4 years??

man how times have changed!!... i bought a 2004 Pkg #1, base Price, 19,900, MSRP was ~20,200 after the "optional" rear window wiper (you could not buy a Prius without one...) after taxes it was just over 22,000.

i drove it 25 months, put 30,000 miles on it. it was wrecked. the other insurance company paid for my rental for 3½ weeks and cut a check for $23,800...

now THAT is resale value!!

of course it helps that there was about a 3 month wait for Priuses at the time. well, i had ordered another Prius the day after the accident... and someone backed out of the purchase, they asked a half dozen people and no one wanted the SPM pkg 4 (which was my first and only choice) so it was ready for delivery the EXACT same day i returned the rental car. in fact, the rental car agency gives courtesy rides and dropped my off at Toyota of Olympia so i had to drive my truck only one day...

6. LittleRedHen

LittleRedHen New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The 7,500 includes tax and extended warranty. If we're just talking sticker price, I'm selling for $21,000 and buying for $25,019. That seems like a great value!! My sweet little Black Prius continues to be good to me, right up until the end!

Qlara: Really, I love my current Prius, it's just I thought I should jump at the chance to get such a great value for my current car before the sticker advantage goes away (the HOV strickers expire in a few years) If I hadn't been approached to sell, I never would have done it.

DaveinOlyWA: :eek: That IS a good value! Makes me want to crash my car! Oooh, just kidding - I shouldn't say such things so close to selling!

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i don't know about taxes over there but you can hold off on the ew for a while if you like- you have until 3 years or 36k miles to decide. also, you can get the 7/100 warranty here from troy for $990, it's a great deal and also supports the site. we bought ours last summer.

8. bardgal

bardgal Prius Koolaidâ„¢ drinker

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey - then you'll be the OTHER person in LA Co with a SpectraBlu!

9. LittleRedHen

LittleRedHen New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    galaxee: Oh, I was planning on getting the ew thru Priuschat, as well as the clear floor mats (fancy!). I was just lumping all the costs together. I can't believe how much I've learned thru this site. For example, I was considering the delux alarm system until I read here that it would take using a flat bed to steal a Prius. So good to know!

bardgal: Uh, whaaa? That color is awesome! I never even saw it. I'm going for the (I think most common) Mag Gray. BTW - do you have a good Prius body shop in the LA area? I want to fluff up my old one before I hand her off to the new owner.