1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PriiDash(TM): Enhanced Instrument Panel / Data Logger - Now Open Sourced!

Discussion in 'PriiDash (TM)' started by 2009Prius, Jun 26, 2011.

1. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I notice that some of the gauges in the Windows exectutable Lite version are not displaying, but the labels are there: dhBV, dsc, wTobd(F), regenkw, kw, kw2, eff%, Load%. The same gauges and others are not displaying in the Windows executable for the standard version. This using either Win XP or Wine on Ubuntu.

I think the Lite version does what I was wanting, and looks good, what's there of it.

Which is odd enough...Running a program, compiled using Cygwin on a Windows machine, on a Linux machine running Wine. Hey, can you install Wine into Cygwin? (n)

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Which Linux are you running? The best for you is to compile native Linux binary from source.

For the missing gauges could you zip and upload the log____.txt and log____.csv files from the F:\OBDLog directory? Thanks!

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, but my compilation skills are pretty much limited to typing ./configure, make, make install. I use Ubuntu Lucid.

So far I am just using Simulation mode. I have now gotten my Cygwin installation running on the XP machine, and I see the same missing gauges running the Cygwin exectutable as with the Windows exectuable on XP:

wTobd(F),
    dhvBV(%),
    dsc(%),
    line/s,
    req/s,
    hvFanV,
    Load(%),
    gph,
    ODOint,
    DTC dist,
    kW,
    kW2,
    icekWt,
    regenkW,
    eff(%),
    eff2(%),
    frickW,
    frickW2

The labels are still there. Does the log file tell you anything in simulation mode? I see that it also creates the empty .csv file, but it does not write anything to it.

4. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    OK so there may not be any problem. The simulation mode does not simulate every single gauge. It's good to know you got both Cygwin and Windows versions running. When I get some time in the future I will re-visit Ubuntu and try to compile the project.

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah so. I will get the laptop out to the car for more testing. Part of this effort at making an alternate GUI is to make more clear what I will use to get a permanent installation going in the car. I guess a small netbook might end up being the way.

I am not sure, but I would think there is some tool of some sort that will take a project and create a configure script, that will allow for "make make install" type installation.

I looked at CPU usage in both the Windows native and the Cygwin version in simulation mode, and the Windows native version updates the display more quickly, and with lower CPU load, than the Cygwin.

I am still wondering how many times one could recursively install Wine into Cygwin and vice versa before some melt down occurs.:eek:

6. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yes I have been using a small netbook and it works well.

I have been using an IDE to manage the project. Let me see if it would generate the config.

I saw the same i.e. Windows native runs better in simulation mode. And it should. But somehow when running in the car for real the Windows version throws away about 1/2 of the data. I don't know where the problem is but there are additional codes added (some by me and some by Steve DH) to make the Windows version work.

Why not give the recursive install a try when you have some time? I am curious too. :)

7. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am curious as to what anyone thinks might be the minimum specs for a netbook that will be dedicated solely to living in the car and running Priidash?

Edit: I picked up an Aspire One netbook, so will see how that does.

8. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The notebook I am using (detailed on page 1 of this thread) uses about 50% of CPU when running in "Normal" mode.

9. Mozencrath

Mozencrath Junior Member

2009: love the new edition. I'm using the Win version-can you tell me how to read the new PSU gauge? I think the lines are KW's but I'm not sure

10. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yes they are KWs and the color scheme is the same as the original PSD RPM gauge (cyan=MG1, red=ICE, yellow=MG2). The three colored bars are the individual KWs and the gray line segments connecting the three colored bars show the accumulated KWs from right to left. So the triangle markers on the left show the total KW of the engine and the MGs. The two different triangle markers show results from two different PIDs that are not always the same. The numerical values of the individual KWs are displayed to the left of the PSD KW gauge with the same color scheme. The total KW is displayed at the bottom of the PSD KW gauge.

11. Mozencrath

Mozencrath Junior Member

Ok that certainly does help a lot but still leaves me with one actually two questions....How come there is often times space between the bottom of the ICE and MG2 bars? In other words say ICE is producing 10kw, the top of the bar will often be at 12 or 14kw and the bottom of the bar at 2kw. This is the aspect I don't understand.

The second question: next to that gauge are the numerical kw's for ICE and the MG's....I notice at highway crusing that MG1 is shown to be using power and MG2 is a negative number indicating it producing power and not using any....Is this a bug because I always thought that MG1 served mostly as a generator at crusing speeds and MG2 worked with the ICE to drive the car at those crusing speeds. Thanks!

12. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Both good questions!

In order to show the total power, the colored bars "float" on top of the cumulative power from left to right. So the MG1 bar starts from 0 and ends at MG1 kW. Then the ICE bar starts from MG1 kW and ends at MG1 kW + ICE kW. Then the MG2 bar starts from MG1 kW + ICE kW and ends at MG1 kW + ICE kW + MG2 kW.

To check the sign of the powers: when first start the car in the morning, don't drive away yet, leave the car in "P". Watch the PSD power gauge when the engine comes on. See if the engine produces positive power and MG1 gives negative power and the two cancels each other so the total power is zero (it should be since the car is not moving). After the engine stops, put the car to "D" and press the accelerator pedal very lightly to move the car forward slowly without firing up the engine. See if the MG2 produces positive power.

Regarding the sign of MG1 and MG2 power at highway speed take a look at this thread:
    Introduction to Prius Power Flow | PriusChat
    from which I copied a graph below:
    [​IMG]
    You may be in re-circulation mode when you saw positive MG1 power and negative MG2 power.

Please: Drive safely and never get distracted by the gauges! Keep eyes on the road at all times! We don't want to turn a fun activity into a sorry accident or worse!
    [​IMG]

13. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Fantastic!!! Only just found this part of Prius chat.
    After converting my Windows Phone to Android just to be able to run Torque... And still in the process of finding USB-drivers so I can utilise my old ELM327-based OBD-reader with it instead of buying a new Bluetooth version...

And all this time this was right under my nose! ;)

14. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  15. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks! Just sat in the car for half an hour (in which the HV battery drained from 7 to 2 bars in minutes. I did have the AC on without noticing, but when turning that off it still dropped like a stone. Creepy...

But my question: I get this error:
    openport: Unable to open /dev/ttyS3
    !!! Error open port /dev/ttyS3 -> UI stopping.

My OBD-reader is on COM3, so should I indeed fill out /dev/ttyS3 ? As I tried googling and found e.g. /dev/ttyUSB1. As I don't have a clue what I'm doing here, I think it is safer to ask :)

I did set the baudrate to 115200 on both the Priidash as on the USB-device (in device manager, othere options were 460xxx and 920xxx but I thought it safest to not assume anything (like 1M=920xxx) and just go for the slowest setting first). Did not alter any other settings (like data bits o parity)

Any thoughts?

16. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    You are using CygWin, right? If so then for COM3 you should use

/dev/ttyS2

not 3.

Is 115200 the highest baud rate for your OBD reader? It may not be fast enough to keep up. Give it a try anyway.

17. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am using XWin Server (which is part of CygWin, right?) to get to the PriiDash program and to start it.

I think I assumed there could be the standard computermixup of starting to count at zero or at one, and I did try ttyS2, but now that I know that is the correct setting, I will try again with more confidence (read: more patience :ROFLMAO:).

My USB-device is a generic (read cheapest I could find*) ELM327. In device manager, I can select a baudrate up to 920000 (iirc, which equals 1M I assume).
    I will try several combinations and start with 1M at both ends.

* the USB-OBD device was purchased for a gearboxproblem with my Volvo (worst case was a D in my display while it was in R :confused:). The reader showed an electrical fault in the automatic gearbox. I cleaned the connectorplug to the gearbox and sprayed it with contact cleaner. No errors since (4 years ago).:love: Random anecdote to show this reader can do no wrong.

18. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    nh7o likes this.
  19. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If the cheap OBD ELM327 is the same one that I purchased, it will only go to .5m and has to be programmed with STNterm. Hope this helps.

John (Britprius).

20. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks;) , atm that's over my head...:ROFLMAO: but I'll Google STNterm whenever I get some spare time.