1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Primary Differences Between 2017- 2022 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by daisy555, Feb 17, 2022.

1. slowmachine

slowmachine Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We had the Toyota dealer install the Miller Cat shield on our 2021. It is now offered as an accessory in the “build and price” configuration on Toyota’s website, so I can’t imagine any warranty issues. My dealer strongly encouraged it, as they have had converter thefts from cars on their own sales lot.

2. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I bought a Miller cat shield for mine. It’s pretty slick looking. Install wasn’t too terrible but instruction order must be followed when installing to a T. Although from what I’ve seen, the cat already has some partial coverage with a metal bar that makes it a bit tougher for thieves to steal for gen 4, the shield just makes it 3x as tougher. I still would like to know the data of how many gen 4s are stolen though. With the metal bar already present, it only blocks the most valuable portion of the cat but doesn’t block the other half of the cat which thieves may still cut not knowing.

#22 thomassster, Feb 27, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    One extra piece of information on possible differences 2017-2022 Prii. I had a full set of Weathertech floor and cargo mats in my 2016 Prius 3 and they fit perfectly in my 2020 AWDe.

JeffD

4. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Differences I know, 2019 introduced new styling which changed the headlight and tail light design and the introduction to AWD-e. I think the 2020 introduced the car play headunit which changed up the audio wiring drastically from traditional Toyota vehicles (important if you are diy aftermarket audio). I forget what year started to not include spare tires. There is a wheel well in the back vacant if you want to put one in but may need to modify or buy old model foams. AWD-e does not have the wheel well due to space taken up by electronics for AWD system. I think 2018 introduced the usage of 0w-16 oil instead of 0w-20 in older models. That is also the same year the oil filter changed from cartridge to their spin on filter they used in their 2nd gen Prius.

softex is a nice upgrade (I have 2019 if there are any differences). I still doesn’t deter from stains but it does help prevent them.

as previously mentioned about tpms, Toyota came out with new tpms which should auto detect to your car. I’m not clear on which year these came out and whether newer gen Priuses are using this feature.

#24 thomassster, Feb 27, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2022