1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime 0-60 :15 sec in EV mode

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by fotomoto, Oct 3, 2016.

1. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah those calculations are way, way off. Best to stick with real world results/feedback for now.

2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, the 10.5 seconds to 60 in Hv mode is just about dead on, so I don't see why the other plot would be off by a factor of two, and with the wrong sign compared to the Hv mode plot. Plus, we have one guy saying its slower in Ev mode, one guy saying it's faster in Ev mode to 40 and one other guy saying it's really fast off the line in Ev mode.

3. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I guess we will have to wait for more tests .
    After all we have to keep in mind that probably no one has driven the real production model yet !
    The thing is,Toyota allways has promised more performance with each new Prius model,as they are doing with the Prime,but the truth is they don't differ very much in real life and 0-60 has been roughly the same since gen. 2 .
    It's not really important to me if it takes 10.5 or 11 seconds from 0-60,although I would find 15 sec. 0-60 in pure EV-Mode a bit disappointing ,what I am hoping for is better passing power .
    Not that I am disappointed with the passing power my gen. 3 gives me now,but if Toyota promises more performance for the Prime I would expect it in that category,especially because of dual electric motor support.

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    2017 Toyota Prius Prime Plug-In Hybrid Drive – Review – Car and Driver

"Faster to 40 mph Without the Four-Banger
    Toyota has teased us with a few more facts and numbers to bolster that impression: It says the Prime accelerates more quickly to 40 mph in its EV mode than it does in normal hybrid mode with the engine running. And it will accelerate to 60 mph, in either its EV or hybrid modes, in about the same time as the standard Prius—a claimed 10.6 seconds."

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Here's more to muddy things up. It's from the same source (Car and Driver) but from this weeks review not last July. (Bold mine)

"Before, if you hit the gas pedal hard enough, the engine would be forced to pitch in as the single motor became overwhelmed. Now, with both motors pulling, the computer can leave the engine to remain as inert ballast at speeds up to 84 mph, at least until the battery depletes." 2017 Toyota Prius Prime First Drive – Review – Car and Driver

Is it "can" or "will"? A subtle but big difference in EV operation.

6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's both. It will above a certain level of charge, and may not below that point depending on throttle position. At least, that's what I've read.

7. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe the can (bolding is yours) refers to EV Auto? who knows. They also say: "as the single motor became overwhelmed" (without the ICE) which is not true, the battery is the limiting component.
    As for me, if and when I slam the pedal due to emergency I want all the power the car can give, do not care if the ICE fires.

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  9. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "...Perhaps that's why the wind refuses to touch it. How else can you explain the Prius Prime's excellent 0.25 drag coefficient."

Funny enough, someone explain this guy journalism and circus clown performance make ex-TopGear Clarkson unique?
    Ah, and he got fired.

giora, bisco and Tideland Prius like this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So unless you're just hopping on/off the freeway (1-2 exits), it's best to use EV Auto or HV mode in extended highway driving (for passing power)

telmo744 likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    • ~13 sec - Gen-1 Prius, ~120k miles
    • ~10 sec - Gen-3 Prius, ~73k miles
    Having owned both, they worked perfectly fine in traffic.

Bob Wilson

telmo744 likes this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found my smart's 13.5 seconds a bit slow. The onramp close to my place when I owned the smart only allows me to hit 70km/h (44mph) before I run out of room on the onramp. Traffic is doing 110km/h-120km/h (68-75mph).

I've used both automatic and manual mode. I find manual mode easier as I can downshift and rev up faster, as well as shift faster (As you may know, the 451 smart models have slow shifting transmissions).

13. Neohippy

Neohippy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I totally agree with. The Prius has no problem keeping up with most 4cyl cars on the road. You just have to use 100% throttle. I find my Gen 3 not as slow as people assume it is.

Montgomery likes this.
  14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    But was it L.A. traffic?
    I have no complaints about the acceleration in the 2005 Prius, nor the HHR and Sonic that came after.

15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The slow 0-60 EV times in my Energi are rarely an issue; however, I sometimes have to join a 75 mph rural interstate from a standing stop. There are no on ramps or side service roads so it's pedal-to-the-medal-full-speed-ahead-captain during peak traffic conditions. It's :08 sec HV mode is most welcomed and used then.

16. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Can owners here confirm that ?
    12.2 sounds a bit slow .

17. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  18. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  19. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yup. That was a much closer estimation to the real world data reported than your original guess based on Toyota's graph. (see below) When other corporations present information in such an ambiguous manner, it's referred to around here by some as "greenwashing". ;)

My guess is there cannot be an "official" 0-60 EV time. Why? Because the system relies on many variables (temps, SOC, etc) in how much power it allows in EV mode. As they say, YMMV.

20. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If that graph had been correct, my analysis of it would have been correct. Since it had some units on it, it's really strange that it wasn't even close to correct.