1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime Battery Layout

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by iplug, May 11, 2016.

1. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am curious if the increasing utilization of carbon fiber and other lightweight materials will significantly reduce their cost. As I understand it, carbon fiber and resin are relatively cheap, but fabricating pieces with it is complex or labor intensive. Perhaps the process can be further automated to drive down cost.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is the carbon fiber hatch part of the FCEV partnership with BMW?
    The i3 is the result of BMW's ongoing development to lower that cost.
    It is report that Toyota is getting some of those developments in exchange for sharing their fuel cell ones.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a small underfloor bin on the passenger side of the cargo area.

The entire rear hatch is fabricated from CFRP. The double wave rear window is part aesthetics and part aerodynamics. The designer wanted that feature as part of the signature design. Luckily Toyota was able to find a way to design that window without distorting the rearward visibility.

drash, Redpoint5 and wjtracy like this.
  4. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota also probably wanted the weight reduction to avoid putting in an automatic hatch opening (which seems to be an industry favorite) and its associated weight gain.

Unsupervised!

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Possibly (and/or test the waters for CFRP production on a smaller piece like a hatch. The battery is at the back so it's worth making it for that part to lighten the rear).

I thought a power liftgate was a great feature until I actually had to use it on a number of cars (current gen Forester and last gen Murano). Then I realise how slow they are, how you can't override it in manual mode (at least on some vehicles) and how bulky that motor is. I understand the convenience of it but the option of a manual mode as well would be nice. A lightweight hatch is also a plus. I'm not too happy with the placement of the grab handle for the Gen 4's hatch. I prefer the Gen 2/3.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder how much a replacement rear window will be, and if insurers will balk.

7. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Doesn't matter how much it will cost. What matters is what the premiums will be. Auto insurance is priced for all those little things that can break. If glass is outrageous, then insuring the car will just be more. Think OEM windshield for the HUD display. They have a way of figuring it all out before you call them and ask for a quote.

I guess we will all find out sooner or later.

bisco likes this.
  8. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I read on Tesla forum that some insurance companies specifically except coverage for the front windshield on the X. Another coverage specifically is needed for it.

9. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife's Venza has a power liftgate as well. Toyota just last week sent her a technical letter about the issue of the automatic closure mechanism. They gave her 2 stickers to put on the door warning of leaving your fingers underneath the door when closing. I myself have always used the old putting my hands on the outside and gently bring it down until the closing mechanism catches. She yells at me when she sees me grabbing the spoiler until she realizes I'm not slamming it shut just assisting the closure.

Also don't forget that it's 2 parts: a power cylinder and a power latch. Both of these put additional stress on the 12v battery which is very small to begin with. To deal with a power lift gate Toyota would have to put in a bigger heavier 12V battery.

#49 drash, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
    Tideland Prius likes this.