1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime Battery - Topping up?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by jgurley, Dec 27, 2016.

1. jgurley

jgurley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    II
    The main reason I bought a Prime is that although I put 20K miles a year on my car, my typical use is way less than 25 miles and my '05 Prius would always use the ICE, since I have a steep driveway and have to pull out on a rural highway. Possible loss of the $4500 tax credit with the new administration was a factor, as well.

If I make a 5 mile run to the Post Office using about 20% of the battery, is the battery better off by topping it up every trip or waiting till the charge indicator gets a little lower? Most info on the web says "cycles" is the killer, but "depth" is an important factor, too. I don't see any guidance in the plethora of manuals that came with the car.

We only pay $.08/kw, so charging is a no brainer.

priuscatprimeguy and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it doesn't matter. i plug the pip in at any level when i know i'll be using it again. lithium is very forgiving.
    i'm sure the prime is even better. congrats, and all the best!(y)

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I understand "cycles" correctly, it's not about the number of times you charge but the number of times the battery is charged from empty to full.

e.g. if your phone battery is at 100% and you charge it every time it drops to 80%, then you have to do it 5 times (20% x 5) for it to be considered "one cycle".

Whatever you decide to do, use the "Charge by" function rather than the "Start charging at".

The former means the battery doesn't sit at "full" (full by the computer's parameter since the battery isn't actually full. There's a buffer) for too long before you drive off. One detriment to battery life is a full battery sitting for a set amount of time. It's best to start using the battery as soon as possible after charging is complete.

Optimus PRIME and Insirt like this.
  4. Olegoat

Olegoat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    What kind of distance / mileage are you folks getting from a charge ? I was getting 28-30 miles per full charge, in the past month it's dropped to 21-22 per full charge. Dealer says everything is okay. I say what happened?

5. CraftyCoder

CraftyCoder Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It got cold outside.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not in central florida. i'm in orlando for the last 3 weeks, and it is perfect ev weather, no hvac needed.

that is a big drop, i would have a look at tire pressure. do a full ev drive to see how far the car is actually going before the wall charge runs out.