1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime charging rates at home

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by 4rpr15, Sep 10, 2017.

1. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    I am not sure that the app is essential. There is presumably a charge timer option on the car itself.

The Euro car has remote climate on the fob, but no climate prep option on the charge timer, for any model.

For what reason I have no idea.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#21 GT4Prius, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  2. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is probably the thread to which I should have posted rather than starting a new discussion about watt-hour metering for one's EVSE. ( See: https://priuschat.com/threads/watt-hour-metering.187407 )

I would think that the "Kill A Watt" meter would work great with the Prime's 120-volt EVSE charger. It is a simple and reliable device. And it's easy to find one at Home Depot, on Amazon, and elsewhere for about $20. You just plug it into the wall outlet and then plug into it any 120-volt for which you want to measure power consumption over a period of time.

What I had been looking for is a similar low-cost device which could be installed to use with a 240-volt hard-wired EVSE.

After a little research, I discovered that there are a number of such devices which can be acquired for a mere $12 to $15, although wiring them into/onto the 240 volt cable feeding the EVSE is not a project for the casual do-it-yourselfer. (This is something which needs the skills of a professional electrician who is willing to get creative in making a mounting plate or box for the device.)

All that I'm trying to do is to figure out how much charging my Prime is costing me on my household electric bill. Measuring the power consumption of the EVSE is simple and does not require any subtle calculations. (We do not have peak/off-peak utilities rates where I live; that would complicate the analysis.)

And, because I sometimes charge my Prime at other locations -- like parking garages and the lot at Whole Foods -- I really just want to monitor my real cost of charging at home and not worry about things like efficiency or whether I'm driving on someone else's electricity.

#22 Old Bear, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017