1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime Charging

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by HPrimeAdvanced, Mar 12, 2018.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Look into the Supercharger network. It's mind blowing.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm sure it's splendid, however being that I'm a low-budget peasant, I would be dreaming to even think about purchasing one of those extremely expensive vehicles.
    I also have my paranoid fear of trust issue to deal with. Prius Prime is a very safe haven for me and my limited budget.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I can definitely understand the trust issue. We all have our own little paranoia's in different ways.

However, with the cost thing....less than a year from now you will be able to buy a Tesla for roughly the same price as a Prime.

4. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The Tesla Model S and Model X are indeed expensive but they are nicely outfitted vehicles. When and if Telsa finally manages to ramp up production of their Model 3, they may be able to attract more of us who have financial constraints.

Meanwhile, I notice that the Model S and Model X have been around long enough to start appearing in the used car market at more affordable prices. TrueCar currenty shows about 280 of them on offer at prices from $35,999 to $48,947. Not cheap but not totally insane.

As for charging, I have seen many Telsa Model S and Model X at Level-2 EVSE charging stations around town. Keep in mind that the kWh per mile is not that much greater than most PHEVs and EVs, so if their owners are driving the same number of miles as a typical Prime owner, they can "top off" their battery in about the same amount of time at a Level-2 station.

Admittedly, I really wish that the Prime had a 50-mile EV range. Its 25-mile range is OK for the vast majority of trips in our urban Boston location, but it just would not work in a more spread-out city like Denver. Even so, its ability to supplement its EV range in hybrid mode may be a greater advantage than having a few more miles of EV range before having to find a charging station or a tow truck.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For my travel style, it is mindblowingly sparse.

In between I-90 and the TransCanda Highway, the only stations between the Pacific Ocean and the Great Lakes are in Kelowona BC, Fort MacCleod AB, and Baxter MN. And even I-90 and Highway 1 themselves have giant gaps.

A couple years ago, the spouse and I took a very leisurely cross country sightseeing trip across the northern tier, including a couple days north of the border, to her high school reunion on the opposite coast. We generally avoided Interstates, and took very many side trips along the way.

Along Highways 20 and 2, this Supercharger map (supercharge.info) shows no service for a 1750 mile stretch. Not counting the extra miles rolled up on side trips.

#45 fuzzy1, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  6. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, currently a Tesla wouldn't fit your needs. I definitely suspect that will change within a few more years, especially once most decent hotels have Tesla chargers at them.

7. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That's the big qualifier, TIME. I'm sure the ADEQUATE infrastructure for BEVs will appear eventually, just not in the short remainder of my lifetime. Hey just look at the current road/bridge infrastructure; estimates put the cost at some 1 trillion dollars to bring it up to date!! Good luck on getting THIS government to do ANYTHING about that, let alone electric infrastructure upgrade. It will have to be done by private industry.

AChoiredTaste.com

Nic Steussy and fuzzy1 like this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The charging infrastructure is definitely under the purview of private industry, not government. But like you, I'm also running up against a biological expiration date, at least for active travels, and am not confident about ever getting to use it. I'll probably be watching travelogues about it on TV from an assisted living home.

That is also one of the reasons I went ahead with putting solar PV on my house several years ago, designing and installing it myself. Even if it will be more cost effective to wait until later, I want to see and make use of it during this lifetime.

E-GINO and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  9. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Older gentlemen...have faith that soon autonomous vehicles will be able to take you wherever you want to go in comfort.

10. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Comfort and terror; I'll walk first!! Now where did I stick my consarn it wheelchair??!! I can Amazon most anything, and the groceries can be delivered too!! If they want to see me, they can drive to MY house!!

AChoiredTaste.com

11. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Alas, you cannot stand in the way of progress (or, for safety, within 30-degrees of either side.)

forward-sensor-beam-width.jpg

#51 Old Bear, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  12. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No but I can stay in my SAFER manually driven car, until I'm confined to my little cottage, with the beautiful garden!! At that point, let progress pass me by!

AChoiredTaste.com

benagi likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some hotels do have Tesla home chargers but you'll have to call ahead (otherwise it's a regular L2).

According to the supercharger map, I-90 to I-94 and Trans-Canada from Calgary to Thunder Bay will be equipped with superchargers by the end of this year.

14. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I bet you are better at math than a calculator as well?

15. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Quicker for many functions, yes! It runs in the family; my dad could multiply 3 digit numbers by 3 digit numbers in his head, super fast!

AChoiredTaste.com

16. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A