1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime destined to be doa?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Prius Five Guy, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well there's the potential for a 200 mile+ 2G LEAF around the corner if you're willing to wait. Sure Toyota says they're working on a Prius EV but there's no timeline and if it does come out, there's no guarantee it'll come with DCFC in North America.

What's your thinking for not keeping the 2014 and waiting it out? Why do you want a Prime if it doesn't appear (at least based on what you said) to fit your lifestyle. How quickly do you think EV infrastructure will develop? I would think cars will evolve faster than the infrastructure.

Apparently the focus groups had positive responses. Also, Toyota's research shows that people who buy advanced technology cars love to have the latest technology in their cars so putting in a tablet sized screen was one way Toyota is attempting to reach out to that group. It is the second manufacturer outside of Tesla that I can think of that is equipping this type of screen in their vehicles (First is Volvo with the new XC90 and it's 12.3" "Sensus" touchscreen). Yes I know Jaguar and Audi have digital dashboard (Audi calls it Virtual Driving Assistant) and MB revealed a huge single 12" screen that plays the part of both instrument panel and infotainment screen and Lexus has had a 12.1" MFD screen for the GS/LS vehicles.

2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A short range BEV like a Tesla is fine if you stay in your metropolitan area or just go from city to city. If you ever want to go anywhere worth going like, say, our nation's national parks, they won't get you there and back.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Really ? ... and of course you know that's a fact, because you tried?

for fun i checked .... just 1 of 2 tesla chat sites - both seem quick to contradict you. Here's just a couple;

Model X Road Trips | Tesla Motors Club

Model S and Glacier National Park, MT - Help with how to approach | Tesla Motors Club

so .... which tesla are you calling a
    'short range' - a 200 mile X? a 315 mile S? .... 400 mile rev II Roadster?
    anxiously awaiting to hear the basis of your contradictory wisdom. Must be these owners are full of lies ...

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Anything under 600 in the winter is short range.

Try this. Show me how to get from Flagstaff, AZ to the Grand Canyon south rim to Mesa Verde National Park to Great Sand Dunes National Park, a trip I'm planning for next year.

Or how about just a simple visit to the Carlsbad Caverns from anywhere to the North.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i saw that the corolla im has a tablet clip. now that seems to be the way to go.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the prices posted in the other thread are correct, prime is gonna leave volt in the dust.

jdonalds and iplug like this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For a moment, I thought 600km and said "yeah sounds about right". 600 miles in the winter? My record tank in the summer is just under 600 miles!

8. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    One problem with a BEV is you don't get free heat. So, 600 is without the heat running, meaning a lot less if you have the heat running. And you'll need it around here in Colorado. That's needed for emergencies like road closures where you have to turn back or wait a long time in the bitter cold for the road to reopen, which has happened to me several times.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey I've lived in a frigid place before, I know what it means to be without heat. (Still remember my 2010 pumping out heat even with 100% grill block, 3 people in the car and the climate control set at 22°C).

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    oh i see - yea i forgot what a chick magnet i used to be - camping in frigid temps & needing a catheter in order to not stop for 600 miles. And since it's all about you & i, well there's no sense in discussing what easily works great for the other 99.99%

Trollbait likes this.
  11. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If there was a half megawatt Supercharger every place there's currently a gas station, I'd only need 300 miles.

bisco likes this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's all that matters. That, & gas - which will last at least 'till we're gone.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i know my gas will last at least that long.

Redpoint5 likes this.
  14. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ease up on the beans buddy!

Ashlem and Tideland Prius like this.
  15. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This is patently false.
    I've taken a number of vacations with our Tesla. The Tesla has actually not only been sufficient for all my driving needs, but has also replaced my airline miles.

Now, if by "you" you really mean "me", then I have no argument with you.
    Sorry you are, and will be, missing out on all the fun, convenience and fun ;)

16. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    I beg to differ. I just took mine on a 1700 mile trip from phoenix to lake tahoe to yosemite back to phoenix. Was a very pleasant ride and charging wasn't an inconvenience as it was timed with pit stops and meals.

And I'm not even counting on all of the time you spent at gas stations breathing toxic fumes.
    Take a stop watch and measure from the time you pull off the road to the time you get back on the road and then multiply that by how many fill ups you do in a year. 95% of my fill ups involve a 10 second grab the cable and plug it in maneuver.

Ashlem likes this.
  17. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've asked this twice here, and no Tesla owner has answered. Using the Tesla Supercharger site and Google Maps I was unable to answer it as well.

The trip I took this year included two legs I couldn't figure out how to do in a Tesla as well. One was doable with a two hour diversion that would have made us two hours late for a family rendezvous while the other would have cost us an entire day.

18. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Nobody said the network was completely built out. They are adding about 100 sites per year in N.A.
    see

supercharge.info

I10 and I80 are a couple of bare spots in the network.

evtripplanner.com is another site.

I'm sure you can hand pick some sites that cant' be reached.

But for a lot of people, Tesla's can take them to a lot more places than it can't take them, with the number of places unreachable via fast chargers decreasing all the time.

But I will agree with you that if you are doing a driving trip to national parks and such, I would not do it in an EV at this point in time. Perhaps in 2 to 3 yrs there will be more chargers available to make some of these places, which are not near major Interstate highways, reachable.

#838 mozdzen, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  19. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Most of my state of Colorado is unreachable. If you aren't on I70 or I25, you are hosed. And with winter range dramatically reduced, it's not safe to be away from charging infrastructure, especially in the mountains where death can easily result from running out of energy. I was once in Fraser when it got down to -41 over night and the nearest charging would have been over Berthod Pass and 58 miles (in the wrong direction) to Silverthorne.

20. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There are about 168,000 gas stations in the US. So, at the current rate, they'll be all caught up in about 1,600 years. And the current stations are too slow. Based on our last trip, they need to be able to put in 170 miles of range in 8 minutes. That's our longest distance between bio breaks and our longest stop time for said breaks.