1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime destined to be doa?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Prius Five Guy, Apr 1, 2016.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From this site I noticed there was plenty of negativism about the 4 seats and range. Our feedback will probably get overridden by focus groups. After all they are least getting free coffee, donuts, etc.. Us? At least we don't have to move much or make ourselves presentable. Might have to find them and kill them to make our 2 cents worth more.

mrlebop and bisco like this.
  2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Feedback in the form of "would you" responses pales in comparison to "did you".

Actual purchases are what makes the difference.

3. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So you are saying we (Gen 1 PiP buyers) were the largest most influential focus group? If that's true then the majority of comments were definitely not whether we have 4 seats or 5 but the actual operation of a plug-in and our wishes for other attributes. It seems like they also paid attention to Consumer's Reports on the car as well who complained they couldn't keep the ICE off during their testing. I can see why they only offer 4 seats. The reinforcements for the middle passenger and seat belt requirements probably interfered with the engineering and placement of the larger battery pack.

iPhone ?

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Or they simply didn't want to take the time and expense for for placing the pack and the requirements for the fifth seat.

5. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would think having an EPA rated 6 mile EV range would be motivation to fix the problem of the ICE coming on during the standardized test. This was confusing for the consumer, and was a point misrepresented by the anti-EV crowd as an attempt to discredit the PiP usefulness.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like the new LI batt is more powerful allowing better EV performance.
    But the sedan-like appearance reduces not enhances the ability to hide a 8.8 kWhr of batt.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Designing to pass a particular test was a serious misrepresentation problem in the past. We were quite pleased in 2012 that Toyota didn't give into that industry pressure.

As for the greenwashing, it will always emerge in some fashion. There are Volt enthusiasts already hammering on Prime for battery-capacity. The disregard they place on other purchase priorities is a dead giveaway they aren't being sincere, that they primarily just don't want to loss bragging rights.

In the end, the measure of success comes down to sales. The goal is to change what people actually buy.

8. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    If you are young enough to remember - or ever owned a Chevy Vega, (and a full 100% of them fell apart) you might be reluctant ti give 'em another chance. No, I' d much rather trust the Prius, even tho it's not perfect.[/QUOTE]

The Cadillac Catera fell apart also. 42 service visits in 4 yrs. No more for me thank you.

#168 mozdzen, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...sales in CARB states where mandates requires sales is another measure of success, I would think.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    word on the street, is that toyota was more interested in focus groups than priuschat, because they are looking for a new market. i hope they find one, but i'm pessimistic.

Trollbait likes this.
  11. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Makes you wonder if they offer something other than coffee.

iPhone ?

bisco likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yet, the seating for four only critique of the Volt wasn't limited to Priuschat only.

13. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was contemplating putting 6 people in my Prius for a short drive (15min) the other day. That would have put one person in the hatch.

If I'm being honest, I rarely need seating for 5, and when I do, it's for a short drive. I never use all 5 seats for longer drives because there isn't room to seat everyone and all of their things.

The one time I put 9 people in my Subaru Legacy was a longer drive (1hr) because I was transporting people that were stranded in the woods when their Durango caught fire and burned to bare metal.

What I'm saying is that if I need to fit 5, 6, or 9 people in my car for a short duration, it won't likely matter if there is a dedicated seat for them or not. The trip will be short enough that it won't matter. Maybe if I had 3 small children a 5th seat would come in handy.

YBLee likes this.
  14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is the just in case scenario that had people disappointed that the first Volt only had 4 seats. The fifth seat of cars of that size are going to be tight, and likely uncomfortable, but it with a seatbelt is loads better than straddling a battery tunnel or sitting on a plastic armrest. Plus, it wouldn't be a citable offense.

People will pass on a car missing a spare tire. A fifth seat is something they likely would get more use out of. Specially if they have a child or dog.

15. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The law varies by state, but in Oregon and Washington, you are only breaking the seatbelt law if there is an available seat belt that isn't being utilized. Riding in the bed of a truck is legal as long as all seat belts in the cab are being used by passengers.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It would be cool if they offered under-seat storage for the rear passengers (unless they filled that void with something else). It'll help offset the reduced storage space. I somehow doubt it since it'll add extra cost.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    perhaps then you need one of these bad boys;
    uploadfromtaptalk1461019880868.jpg
    Plenty of under the seat storage there . . .

Tideland Prius likes this.
  18. mrlebop

mrlebop Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here's my reasoning: The electricity is generated here, but we're getting that $9000 worth of gas from the moslem horde who drive planes into our buildings and promise to slit our throats using the money we gave them.

bisco, hill and Zythryn like this.
  19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the ICE mpg difference between the prime, versus the 2 Korean phev offerings (Ioniq & Sonata) seems to only differ by 6%-8% - but the Korean plugins get greater ev range ... PLUS, 5 seats. What am i missing ....

20. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $750 million in fines from overstating the mpg?

iPhone ?

KrPtNk likes this.