1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime drive coming - Portland, OR (Impressions inside)

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by KrPtNk, Aug 15, 2016.

1. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    i just got an email from Toyota about a viewing and driving opportunity for the Prime this weekend in the Portland, Oregon area.

I am very excited.

#1 KrPtNk, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  2. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Nice! Report back when you can with your review..

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cool! someone posted a pic of one on the street in ct, with the dealer name on the side and, 'take me for a test drive'. kinda surprising, seeing how we're still at least 3 or 4 months away from deliveries.

4. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nice! See if you can grab the vin In case others of these drives pop up? We can see if it's the same car or if they have more than one making the rounds.

5. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Has MSRP been released yet?

6. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No. Not yet. I am guessing it will be $1500 to $2000 more than a similarly equipped lift back.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Photos of the different colours please! :)

But more importantly, enjoy the drive. Let us know what you think!

TMS is doing Prime test drive tours. It's not a dealer AFAIK. It started in Baltimore in July. It looks like it's starting to make its way to the west coast.

I've edited the title so hopefully people in the area will see the thread.

KrPtNk likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    haven't heard of anything in ma. you wouldn't want to send an email to your existing customers to let them know what's happening, since they're not your 'target' market.

9. Prius Maximus

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what it is?

11. Prius Maximus

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Vehicle to vehicle communication. The car talks to other cars with info on speed direction etc. They can talk to traffic signals and get info on when the color will change. So the Prius can start braking to regain electric before the light changes. It also helps with traffic because it will know a car it can't see through other cars is stopping or crashed.

bisco likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow! is canada getting it?

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. But possibly in the future. Again, stuff gets tested in Japan first and we'll get the refined versions later (like DRCC and PCS)

Future Toyota Integrated Safety Systems (2015 Edition) | PriusChat

See number 4 for more info (or click on the link to go to the global newsroom webpage directly)

Note that the Prime in Europe will get the Matrix LED Array headlights. US models will not.

No.

#13 Tideland Prius, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  15. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    @Tideland Prius, I think you are right that the Prime driving event is put on by Toyota. It isn't located at a specific dealer, but rather near a shopping center instead. Here are the details:

Your registration is complete. We look forward to welcoming you at the Prius Prime New Possible Tour at:

Bridgeport Village
    7455 Southwest Bridgeport Road, Suite 215
    Tigard, Oregon 97224

You'll find us in the plaza area between the parking structure and the west entrance to the mall.
    We're open as follows: 8/19, 8/20, 8/21, 11 a.m.-7 p.m

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the one i went to for the gen 3 was horrible. once around the parking lot at 10 mph. and the guy that went with me had never driven anything but a tundra. had no clue about the prius. i hope they charge the battery for you!:rolleyes:

17. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Got a chance to go to the Prime driving event today. They had several cars there: 2 blue, one silver, one gray, one red and one silver blond metallic. Sorry, @tidelandprius, but I didn't get very many pictures of the colors ( on the drive up to Portland the check engine light came on in my Tacoma and I was a bit freaked out).

The cars were very busy with a lot of people driving them. The event was centrally located in the mall and they had several tents set up with a bank of iPads in another area on which you registered your personal information. The staff would approach any adult walking by and offered them a discount coupon for a theater ticket (I think?)as an incentive to drive the car. The emphasis seemed to be on introducing the Prime to as many people as possible. The fact that I was pre registered because of the email correspondences I had received from Toyota and had been given a registration number didn't seem to be too important.

The cars on display there are the only Prime cars presently in this country and were therefore the same ones seen in Boston a while ago. I think they will be shown at more venues around the country. There were about ten representatives there from Toyota and the event seemed very professionally done.

The gentleman who rode with us was from Toyota and travels to various shows to represent the company. He seemed quite knowledgeable. He said that the car we were driving was a preproduction model. He of course didn't know what changes might be made when the final version is released. When I asked him about the number of seats and space lost to the battery he said that those wouldn't be changed. He said that the car would be available in the fall of 2017!! When I was incredulous and said I was anticipating a first quarter release, he said that the fall 2017 date was something he was told to say, but he too thought that it would be probably be available in the first part of 2017. It was an example of the company being cautious. I asked him if he had driven the car on the freeway and if so how it compared to the gen4 in terms of road noise. He said that it was very much quieter and that one of the reasons was that Toyota had put more sound insulation in the dashboard and that the sound insulating glass made a difference as well. He said that one reason for having only two rear seats was that the center headrest reduced the rear vision.

The drive was a short one around the mall. Not much of a chance to evaluate the car's performance. It was all less than 25 mph and not surprisingly the car was very quiet. I had it in ev mode. I floored the car and the pickup seemed adequate, but not adrenalin rush strong (this was certainly affected by the fact that there were three adults in the car). When the cars were waiting to be driven they were sitting in forced charge mode. The interiors were cool from the air conditioning and the running engines were not noticeable. The battery was 80% charged. We really werent aware they were running. My wife found the rear seats very comfortable and the space roomy, but she is petite. As has already be discussed a lot, if there were three rear seats fitting three adults would be a squeeze.

The desert blond metallic was subtle and a bit on the beige side. Kind of ordinary. The blue was a richer color than we had expected. The car looks less angular and aggressive in iperson than it seems in the photos We've seen. We were thinking that the car would look best in the darker colors, but we thought the styling was very sharp and the car wore all the colors well.

I wish the battery hadn't taken the room it had, because the hatch space behind the seat would be nicer if it were a bit larger. But all in all there was nothing that would discourage us from buying the car and plenty to really like about it. We can't wait.

#17 KrPtNk, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    giora, m.wynn, bisco and 6 others like this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds more like he was clueless. why are you expecting a first quarter release, when toyota said late 2016?
    the center headrest reduced rear vision, so they eliminated a seat? oy vey.

thanks for the write up and the pics!(y)

#18 bisco, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  19. Prius Maximus

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I pull out all my passenger headrests for better vision. I only put them in if I have a passenger. So I can understand eliminating the seat, but it still seems dumb.

I was getting all worked up expecting it in a few more months. I thought the delay was just a small one and they would still be delivering this year or early next year at the latest. But now we're talking fall of 2017????

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the delay was in japan, which was supposed to roll out a few months aheads of us. now, basically.