1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime drive coming - Portland, OR (Impressions inside)

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by KrPtNk, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's ok! Thanks for the photos! Hypersonic Red looks stunning, especially in the 2nd photo. I wasn't not expecting that. Desert Blonde looks good and shows its beige/champagne colour better than in the photos from Japan (where it was cloudier and looked more silvery or white). It's definitely better than the Sandy Beach Metallic that was available on the 2010-2011 models (sorry to those who owned cars with that colour).

For Gen 4s around here, it's mostly silver and white. I saw one Blue Crush. The only 2 reds I've seen were showroom and auto show test drive. I haven't seen a privately owned Hypersonic Red Gen 4.

The additional sound insulating glass would be the "acoustic front door windows".

2. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The piece of news for me was the new sound insulation in the dash. That was the first I had heard of it.

bisco likes this.
  3. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Great write up and thanks for the pics!! (y)

Does anyone know the reason for the curved glass on the rear hatch? Aerodynamics or just for styling? Would be obviously very expensive to replace if needed I would think..plus I wonder if the curved glass distorts your vision out the rear like those carnival mirrors that make you look stretched or short and fat?? Lol!

And yeah, seems strange that the Prime Rep doesn't even know when they will actually get released..:confused:

4. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think the curved glass was for both style and aerodynamics. The curve reduced the drag on the back enough to make up for a loss of efficiency due to the front end design. It doesn't distort at all.

Blizzard_Persona likes this.
  5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why so much concern on only having 4 seats? I have seen most Prius being driven with two peps and rarely anyone in the back seats.

6. lisantica

lisantica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for the write up and your impressions.
    I am looking forward to its release. Even though I just bought a Gen 4 Prius, I might be inclined to pick up a Prime as well being a two car family.

KrPtNk and bisco like this.
  7. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Same here!!

We are currently house hunting, and if we find a place that is EV friendly then when my wife's lease expires on her 2014 v (half way there) we will seriously consider a Prime!!

It would cover her 8-9 mile commute both ways in EV and that is pretty cool!

KrPtNk and lisantica like this.
  8. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I just mentioned the four seat versus five option because there seems to be a number of priuschat members offended by the change. They are hoping for a 5 seat model either when the production model is released or in a year or two. We found the rear seats comfortable and liked the center console. Four seats is plenty for our needs. It doesn't really matter to us. The space was ample.

HPrimeAdvanced, drash and orenji like this.
  9. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Right and once the 16 and 17 regular Prius starts getting totaled, there will be 3-person rear seats available used to swap in

iPhone ?

10. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That may not be so simple. I think the charger is located under the rear seat's center console. Also there was some discussion about the necessity for structural strengthening to handle the added weight of another passenger and the matter of safely anchoring the seatbelt.

#30 KrPtNk, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  11. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I guess we will have to wait until someone buys one and removes the seat to take photo for us. I'm sure someone industrious enough could relocate the charger if it was that important to him/her ;) don't know about structural things though.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, news to me too, and welcome. i wonder if @Prius Team can confirm.

13. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure this has been said already elsewhere on PC. Also, the following is based on incomplete data from Europe (only the "kentekengewicht" for the Netherlands (the car without the driver and gasoline)is known: 3218 lb (1460 kg). I added 264 lb (120 kg) to get the estimated "empty weight" (see below).

Here, the gen 4 Prius including the driver and his luggage (only accounted for 165 lb (75 kg)), and a 90 % full gasoline tank weighs 3240 lb (1470 kg) (called empty weight). The payload is 705 lb (320 kg) and corresponds to 4 light passengers and a bit of luggage. This is often criticized as too little.

Still in Europe, the "empty weight" of the Prime can be estimated to be 3483 lb (1580 kg), or 242.50 lb (110 kg) heavier. Without structural changes to the suspension, its payload would be reduced to only 463 lb (210 kg).

I read that Toyota indeed changed the suspension, probably to adjust the payload for 3 passengers and their luggage.

It was probably too difficult to do better, also considering that the solar roof and its battery + electronics available in Europe and Japan add additional weight.

I believe this is the reason why we will not see a 5-seat Prime soon. Only weight gains for the battery could provide a possibility.

Jan

#33 Mister MMT, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    drash and KrPtNk like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    supposedly, we will. maybe not in europe, idk.

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Because many expect 5 seats in a midsize car, and 4 seats was often sited as a con for the first gen Volt.

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That is quite misleading. Criticism about not having a 5th seat faded away by year 3. Focus shifted to comfort instead... leg & head room.

Ironically, the 5th seat GM delivered offers no leg room whatsoever.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's only current prius owners who care about the 5th seat, because they don't want to lose more of what they had due to toyota's decontenting habits.
    but for new buyers? you won't miss what you never had.;)

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    But is still a fifth seat, and if it was no longer a big deal, GM could have easily scrapped it for a little more weight savings.

While the new Volt's fifth seat will not work as regular seat, it is still a flat bench that allows easier loading of cargo into the rear seat, and is more comfortable for pets.

As long as they are coming from a subcompact like the Spark with 4 seats or Corvette with just two.:D

bisco likes this.
  19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Less comfortable for humans is not a good tradeoff.

Dropping the seats for a pet is the usual approach anyway.

20. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does the prime rear seat console not fold up into the seat back?

I don't know about your pets but my dogs sleep in the craziest positions. I don't think that console would have any pet comfort issues. I can see using it to holdr a water or food bowl on a long trip.