1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime Efficiency from Another POV

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by EV-ish, Mar 28, 2017.

1. EV-ish

EV-ish Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    My drive to work is 45 miles each way and about 1300 feet net elevation change. Every car I have checked until now has better efficiency returning home with a climb, so I was curious how the Prime performed. This is my first drive so more data may change the results a little.

I calculate the potential energy by m*g*h and presume 40% ICE thermo conversion. I used
    17.9 kWh of LIQUID FUELe going down and 16.9 kWh going up. These two results are quite close, and the small difference might be explained away by wet roads on my trip down and slightly more than 1/2 the battery available for the return trip.

Truly impressive.

Incidentally, the r/t worked out to 85 mpg + one full charge for 90 miles. I had estimated 90 mpg before buying the car, but I was not including wet roads ;-)
    After the tires wear a little and in better/warmer weather I'm pretty confident of seeing 90 mpg. I'm also quite happy that I can mostly drive 65 mph and still obtain acceptable (to me) fuel consumption.

Disclaimer: I am aided by driving at 5,000 - 6,0000 feet elevation.

Mod: Please correct my title: it should be from another POV