1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime electric bill cost to operate

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by PriusPrimeOwner, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry you feel this way. The comments were not personal attacks, nor meant to nit pick.
    Mine were meant to clarify, and to insure that other people reading are aware that the Prime does not take that much electricity.

The "vampire drain" of my 90kWh battery pack is about 1kWh/day. The Prime has fewer systems that stay awake gobbling power, and I can't measure (but that would be a cool experiment). I would guess less than 1/2kWh/day.

The observations you shared are appreciated. Even without a dedicated meter tracking the power bill over a month will give you more accurate information. You could also track how much kWh the car reports using, and add 1/6 of that to cover charging losses. That will give you a better estimate.

MMBH and Samprocat like this.
  2. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So what happens when the battery warmer function kicks in? still 0.4-0.7 amps?:confused:

3. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It will draw more.....i have not have chance to measure that....

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I agree with you and people should not get .....learning from each other will make all of Hybrid driver's more experienced

MMBH and Zythryn like this.
  5. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I will be connecting my data logger on Saturday when the weather co-operates. It will be logging every 10 seconds for about 24 hours the amperage and voltage. I have to run my EV to zero before that time tho.

Samprocat likes this.
  6. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That is what I'm going to do.....
    Remember that for USA there is no true battery warmer.....Canada do have ....also preheating if you use 120 supply to the car is drawn from big battery then replenished by power supply
    And i have confirmed this information with Toyota tech's
    Only with 240 V this is drawn straight from the power supply

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  7. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, that settles that I won't be able to measure at 240 volts. My first test will be with EV at zero miles, and charge immediately upon plug in. Next time I will use the scheduler and climate prep.

Samprocat likes this.
  8. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Is .11 per kwh the total cost delivered to your home or just the cost of the electricity? For example, my bill has a component for electricity generation, another for delivery infrastructure, another for recovery of stranded costs, another for taxes, etc. The total delivered cost is closer to $.165 per kwh.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  9. PriusPrimeOwner

PriusPrimeOwner New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I added all the figures up and times it by the taxes and that is the rounded number.

10. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Im still trying to figure difference with advanced and premium model....my Advanced model locks the cord and from my buddy lower level is not.....
    So the software logic will be different with cord plugged

11. CaliforniaPrius

CaliforniaPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes. Advanced version can lock the charging cable. But if someone tries to yank it off and steal your charge, your charging port is in a bad shape. I would rather not lock it and let the bugger steal. Cut my losses that way.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I know you're new but still:
    PriusChat has many excellent features to help you 'not going to bother sharing':
    • unfollow a thread - so if something is going catty-wompus, you can avoid getting notices of updates to a thread.
    • @PriusPrimeOwner user tag - so if you want to tap someone on the shoulder in some posting, this lets you sent a notice.
    • "Start a Conversation" - allows you to take something offline with individuals without making it into a Spanish Inquisition.
    • "Report" - if someone is being abusive, this will ask the moderators to check a particular posting to see if someone has crossed the line between a civil discussion and being rude and abusive.
    • "Ignore user" - this allows you to block notices; seeing the postings, and; seeing the replies of others who offend your sensibilities. For example, I have two entries but am considering adding a third.
    Over the years, I've learned a lot here with folks pointing out things I didn't know or better approaches to a problem. I've seldom taken offense when discussing technical things ... things that have mass or engineering units. You might consider snark poisons any discussion and risks leading to a quiet place or an alternate forum ... say: CleanMPG

Bob Wilson

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PriusPrimeOwner welcome to Prius Chat and congrats on the Prime!
    The thing is many plug-in owners are advocates of plug-in advantages including lower cost of electric vs. gaso, depending on your local elec costs. So you just happened to touch on a "hot" discussion/calculation area.

14. Neohippy

Neohippy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes that's the internet for you. This forum is much worse since everyone wants to prove everyone wrong. I sit back and laugh. Don't let people you are never going to meet face to face upset you over the internet ;)

Data Daedalus and jrodz09 like this.
  15. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    On the other hand, if someone puts out something that is false, I welcome someone else challenging that with the facts. I don't like being mislead.

16. kevin54

kevin54 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This place is a wealth of info and that's why I come here, and to share. My intent is to give accurate info - a few times I'm been mistaken, then corrected and I learned. I don't want to give misleading info.
    I questioned what you said about costs not because I know more or was trying to insult you. But something with your costs seemed off to me and I wanted to be sure either something you said was written wrong or maybe I misinterpreted what you said. Trickle charge or not, I hope you can see that a once a day charge from empty is not going to produce a $69 monthly increase in your bill.

17. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I wish I hadn't plugged in last month. I was in tier 4 ($.40/kwh) because I had to use space heaters because my furnace went out.

iPhone ? Pro

18. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    1/2 kW/day "vampire drain" in the Prime's traction battery? No way IMO, this means completely drained from full in less than 17 days!
    My PiP traction battery is disconnected and completely isolated from the systems when the car is shut off, systems that stay awake are consuming from the 12V auxiliary battery, the self discharge of the traction battery is very low - maybe two orders of magnitude lower than what you stated. I believe it is the same with the Prime.
    I once left the car for 3 weeks with SOC as recommended by Toyota (6 bars on the HV battery icon which is probably ~23% SOC), when returned, I found it - same 6 bars!
    Most of the " from wall vampire consumption" will come from standby current of the EVSE if it is not shut off, irrelevant of the car being plugged-in or not.

#38 giora, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  19. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Which is why I said "less than 1/2 kWh/day".
    I wanted to err on the worst case scenario to give the benefit of the doubt to the opposing position.
    Even worst case, it wouldn't explain the amount of loss needed.

I also don't have any measurements that I made, so I don't want to make a guess that is too good ;)

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In a thread on the vampire drain in a Tesla, there was a link to an owner that left their Model S and Leaf unplugged for a week or two. The Tesla lost amount of range, but was ready to go. The Leaf didn't lose range, but the 12 volt died, so the car wouldn't start.

I think all plug ins and hybrids disconnect the traction pack on shut down, but all modern cars have a vampire drain on the 12 volt to some degree; alarm systems, SKS, remote locks, etc. aren't energy free. Tesla does have their cars reconnect the traction pack to top off the 12 volt while the car is unplugged.

In regards to an unplugged Prime, I would not worry about the traction battery loses charge beyond the normal self discharge rate for the chemistry. Neither would I worry more about the 12 volt as I would in any other car.

Data Daedalus and Zythryn like this.