1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime Excel 2017 Headunit Replacement (JBL System)

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Everon, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Everon

Everon New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    Hi all,

Recently upgraded from a 2010 Gen 3 to a Prime and loving it (saving lots on fuel).

The factory fitted head unit is quite dated and I had replaced my factory head unit in my old Prius (Non-JBL) with the local car shop (Halfords).

The new one has JBL and it is proving difficult to determine what I will need to integrate a Kenwood Android Auto capable headunit into it with due to the JBL amplifier being different.

From my research I have come across a few adaptors that work for older models but cannot find anything that is listed as compatible with either a Gen4 or Prime. My understanding is that Gen4 and Prime have similar if not the same headunits and sound system options and that they are interchangeable.

I'm looking to install this headunit from Kenwood: kenwood-dmx8020dabs

After contacting a company about the other parts to retain controls/parking camera etc they have recommended this kit from Connects 2CTKTY25

Of the parts I have looked at to allow working with the existing JBL AMP are:
    * PAC TATO
    * TYTO-01 / TYTO-02 / TYTO-03 (none list the Prius gen 4 afaik).

I see some threads mentioning soldering of wires which is fine I guess, more used to just connecting wires together.

The factory fitted headunit looks to be the normal double DIN shape (see attached).

TL;DR
    Which adapter should I use to allow retaining of the JBL amp and speakers with an aftermarket headunit?

Many thanks
    - Ev

Attached Files:

2. Igor331

Igor331 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    JBL amplyfier activates by AVC-LAN bus commands, you need special adapter or simply change amplyfier