1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime has a Aluminum Hood

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by bb4srv, Feb 26, 2019.

1. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I worked for Arcelormittal steel for 40 years at a plant where they make the steel for cars. They use different types of steel in different parts of the car for its strength and stamping properties.

Here is a link where Arcelormittal tells about the switch back to steel.

Audi A8: steel makes a comeback :: ArcelorMittal USA

Thinking aluminum is such an exotic metal is funny. Ford made airplanes out of it in WWII.
    People need to be trained on how to work with aluminum that's all.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. But, now come to think of it. I think Travelers New Car Replacement plan was suggested to me by someone in another thread. I am sure I did ask for a quote then, but IIIRC it was substantially higher than the premium I had then. I wonder what would they do if you don't want "to replace it with a brand new car of the same make and model", or if the model no longer exists. Five years is a long time for a car model, even if it exists it can be a totally different car by then.

3. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    LOL. It was probably me. :)

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Going to "more than 40%" steel is only big news for a steel company, since past designs had varying amounts of steel, carbon fiber, and magnesium in them. Some headlines for the new chassis are using "aluminum-intensive".

Considering how exotic is used for aluminum, high strength steel can be called more exotic.

Repair shops need to update training and equipment to work on aluminum. They also have to do the same for high strength steel.

Manufacturing aluminum planes is much easier than aluminum cars. Planes don't have all the curves and creases of a car body, and those can be difficult to make in aluminum. Ford's aluminum trucks don't have a long bed option, because they haven't figured out how to reliably make one out of the metal yet. There is also a potential health hazard from toxic fumes when welding aluminum.