1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime has Android Auto?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Marine Ray, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Happy Saturday Prime mates. Sharing this recent video review on 2020 Prime. Overall OK but the 2020 Prime does not have Android Auto as stated in the video. Are those the stock rims under the hubcaps? Bonus question - what inaccuracy was mentioned regarded naming scheme to LE, XLE and Limited for the 2020 Prime?

2. bevhoward

bevhoward Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    >> 2020 Prime does not have Android Auto as stated in the video <<

That's a sore point. I specifically asked about this pre-sale and was told that it had android auto. After the sale when I found that it did not and I brought up the question again, the sales person stated that they had been told by a Toyota rep that android auto was included.

Further discussion with the dealership said that they had been told that it would be included in an upgrade but that they did not know if or when or if, if it would cost additional.

I teach android classes, so, this was not a minor issue in my case, especially since the need for help with android auto had already been brought up by students.

Beverly Howard

Marine Ray likes this.
  3. mistermojorizin

mistermojorizin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did it ever end up getting AA? Also, how do you get a job teaching android (I'm an android enthusiast)? My 2015 car had it. Had to wait for the update but It came within half a year of buying the car or so. Luckily, AA runs without a head unit on the phone, but it still sucks that the 11" screen is such a waste.

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    mistermojorizin likes this.
  5. jinigo1

jinigo1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I have the 2021 Prius Prime XLE and it does NOT have Android Auto. Incredibly furstrating as it was my understanding that the 2021 Prius Prime DID come with Android Auto.

6. Hicksite

Hicksite Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Only the LE, I have read.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is correct.

8. JerryW

JerryW New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That is my understanding too that only the LE does not have Android Auto. But why? I don't understand what in the LE that would prevent from having Android Auto support. Does anyone know the answer? I am very curious since I am all Android. I went ahead and bought the LE anyway, hoping it will somehow become available later in the future.

9. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Actually, the 2020-21 LE is the ONLY trim that has Android Auto.

Trollbait likes this.
  10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not 2020 LE. I had 2020 PP LE, no AA. Currently, only the 2021 PP LE trim has the wired Android Auto. Car Play has been available starting on the 2020 PP models in all trims.

The reason 2021 LE offers AA but not XLE and Ltd is due to software development on the 11.6" screen head unit in upper trims. The head unit in LE with a smaller screen is shared among many other Toyota models, whereas the large screen HU is exclusive in PP and maybe some upper trims of regular Prius. Toyota just did not want to spend money on developing software for small groups of models using this HU.

#10 Salamander_King, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
  11. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You're right, thanks. 2021 LE only has AA.

12. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Leading to the perverse situation that you lose functionality by going to the higher priced trim.

Marine Ray likes this.
  13. DukeofPrime

DukeofPrime Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm still a bit salty about this. I had AA in the car I replaced with my prime and found it quite useful.

I saw all the marketing about Priuses now supporting AA, saw it listed under LE model specs and then ASSUMED the higher models must have it. I mean, since when do models de-content as you go up.

I then ignored all the reviews dumping on the big screen because, I said to myself, I'll just use AA. My salesman said my XLE had it, but when we figured out it didn't (after I bought the car), he admitted that this was the first Prius he had sold. Might have bought the LE if I was fully aware, but probably not (don't like cloth seats).

Oh well, live and learn. Don't be like me.

The PP is otherwise a great car, but the head unit is a mess. If I drove more, I might consider switching to Apple, but it probably does a weak job with carplay as well.

#13 DukeofPrime, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021