1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime Long Work Commute MPG?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by VR89, Jan 24, 2019.

1. VR89

VR89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hello Folks,

Just joined here. Hoping to pick up a 19' Blizzard Pearl Prime Premium this weekend as my work commuting vehicle. Just had a question in regards to actual MPG.

I live in Elk Grove, CA and travel to Santa Clara, CA every day for work. This is 110 miles one way and total of 220 miles round trip. I take the 5 > 205 > 580 > 680 > 880 and so on as traffic varies on different days and times. Sometimes G maps will route me through back mountain roads like the 84 and or city roads. Thus the road will be uphill / downhill, flat, curvy you name it. Traffic is usually stop/go from Tracy > Livermore where Altamount Pass is on the 205 - 580 merge and 680 forth.

I want to know how the mpg (both EV and HV combined) is compared to my current Rav4 Hybrid (which is averaging 35mpg)? Hoping this could save me some money on gas and time with the HOV pass. Also, my work place has a charging station which I 'assume' it is free.

Currently I pump every other day. My gas lasts me a round trip and one way there or one way back home. Full tank costs roughly $30 (Costco nearby my house), $35 (Costco nearby my work or Chev/Shell/Mobil nearby my house) to $40 (Chev/Shell/Mobil nearby my work).

Does anyone have any details similar to my current commute to help me make a decision?

Thanks,

VR89

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's punishing!

No offense, but you should be able to work this out, plus/minus 20%. Gather the variables, like what speeds you'll be going, is there charging at your work, do the math. Look on Fuelly too, for what Primes and 4th gen Prius are getting for mpg, figure out what percent of your commute will be electric.

Sorry for the Dutch Uncle reception, friendlier folk will be along. (y)

VR89 likes this.
  3. Woodman411

Woodman411 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With the RAV4 hybrid, you're getting 1 mpg better than the official City rating, that should give you a rough idea how the Prime will do, adding to that the electric only range, which will vary widely depending on how much and at what speeds you use it. I'm guessing you will save a lot due to your daily 220 mile commute.

VR89 likes this.
  4. Mark McIntyre

Mark McIntyre Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    With proper manipulation of modes (EV/HV/Charge) I think you should be able to get 50+ in the prime. I don't commute (home office) but I base my thoughts on mountain driving without any charge. See my other posts.

VR89 likes this.
  5. smyles

smyles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Looks like you'll be mostly driving in HV mode, which, in my opinion, in Prime is painfull for highway driving, especially uphill. I'd choose a diesel for such commute.. or long range tesla.

VR89 and triggerhappy007 like this.
  6. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    On an open highway at speed we get about 60 mpg with the Prime. This is HV operation with the battery mainly depleted. One route we drive has some hilly sections early (before the battery is depleted), and we get better total mpg using EV-Auto in those sections. With higher load it runs the engine and saves some battery power for the flatter areas. One mode is charge where part of the engine power charges the battery while you drive. This may be useful to prepare for high speed uphill sections. Otherwise I haven't found a use for it.

VR89, HPrimeAdvanced and jmarkd7 like this.
  7. heiwa

heiwa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My hats off to your daily efforts! I drive about the same distance once a week for skiing on city, county roads and HWY 4, with elevation delta from my home to the ski area of roughly 7000 ft. I am consistently getting 63-67 MPG (perhaps 5-10 % less actual) with one charge at home before departure. I am just driving with the traffic, not hypermiling on those trips, twice with tire chains on the last 12-20 miles. What I notice is that Prime captures a lot of juice in downhills, and turns off ICE whenever it deems appropriate. From my daily commute experience, MPG or miles per kWh gets signifficantly better when the traffic is slow on HWY 99. You will love its efficiency and the safety features.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

VR89 and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat, al the best!(y)

VR89 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I averaged about 54 MPG doing 80 MPH average from Los Angeles to San Jose. I would guess you will easily be at or over 50 MPG on your trip.

Your usage of EV mode should be restricted to stop and go traffic and speeds below 40 MPH to get the most out of the charge. Using EV at 65+ MPH is a waste of your charge unless you are on a very short trip (definitely not yours!).

jmarkd7, E-GINO, VR89 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    2001 Honda Insight is the best

VR89 likes this.
  11. jmarkd7

jmarkd7 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I charge at home only (nowhere to do it at work) and go 80 miles each way daily. 65 of it is interstate going 72-77mph with moderate hills. I use EV mode for the non highway and under 55-60mph part. I got about 66.7mpg over 48k miles and 2 years in my 2017. I occasionally get a coffee near a 220V charger on the way back.

Basically without EV I get about 52mpg on the highway and 57 off. The EV gets me to 65-67.

I never do EV auto, I always manually push the button.

Hope this helps. Your situation (longer distance) might get you around 60MPG unless you can charge at work. Then you’re looking at 65. Just my guess.

TGrracie and VR89 like this.
  12. Can Doan

Can Doan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had a trip before XMas from Boston to Florida and back, and I got 55MPG for almost 4000 miles travelling.

jmarkd7 likes this.
  13. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I used to drive 102 miles every day (from my home in NJ through the Holland tunnel into the financial district in NYC). I would switch between HV/EV mode manually. I would leave early (say 4:30 am) to get into the city and leave the city at 2 ish to avoid traffic. From where I lived I had just enough ev range (about 3 miles left over) for the low speed driving stuff (backroads at home and tunnel/city). The rest I did on HV. I would average 89mpg over that trip and exhaust the battery as part of it. I would average about 58mpg on the gas side. Never did the math to figure out total cost, but NJ electric rates were fairly cheap (much cheaper than CA) (I think it was around 9c per KW). The garage I parked at did have a charger, but the rates were much higher and it would require moving your car after you were charged... and, especially during winter, the wind-tunnel that is the city sucked so I never used it (maybe twice for shits and giggles). Commute was 51 miles one way so it wasn't going to get me round trip on EV anyway.

jmarkd7 and VR89 like this.
  14. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW, 220 miles a day commute! You must love your job. With my PRIME, during a summer trip of 300+ miles on mostly highway was ~50-60 mpg. This is without counting any EV. You really can't go below 50 mpg in warm weather unless you do 80+mph on the highway.

#14 Salamander_King, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    TGrracie and VR89 like this.
  15. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Regarding the 2001 Honda Insight, I had one I purchased new, which I drove to 230,000 miles.
    I DEFINITELY would NOT recommend that car for the long, hilly drives. That car averaged 58 MPG over its lifetime with me, but cost an arm and a leg in maintenance. I just found the invoice for 30,000 mile service, $302!! It ate 2 sets of catalytic converters, tires, and had poor A/C, and needed clutch and transmission work. It wandered all over the freeway when it followed the grooves in the road, and the braking of the car was the worst I've ever seen in a car. I got into a rear-ender before I realized the extremely limited braking of this car. The concept of the car was wonderful; the execution was poor. My Prime 30,000 mile, total service cost: $0.00! You can't beat that with a stick! I still average 32 miles on pure EV, even occasionally drag racing ANY other willing combatant! It's still WAY too big for me, but a necessary compromise.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

jmarkd7, benagi, KrPtNk and 1 other person like this.
  16. VR89

VR89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks folks for all the comments.

Looks like it'll roughly be 4 gallons a day. Fill ups, I assume will still be on or after two days. I am hoping EV mode will help me in the city roads as G maps have been routing me through them recently due to HWY construction traffic.

I normally leave my house about 5:45am and it is pretty cold (CA's cold) - roughly 36F to 43F. I try to leave work by 4-5PM but regardless I still get home by 8-8:30PM and temps range from 60s to 51F.

I haven't looked into diesels but I have looked into Tesla's Model 3. It is out of my range.

LOL. I have no other choice at the moment.

Raytheeagle and Salamander_King like this.
  17. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My sympathies on your commute. My "commute" would be about the same distance (Roseville to Redwood City), but worse, since I have to cross one of the SF Bay bridges. Fortunately, I work from home, and only have to do the trek once a month or so to have face-to-face human interactions.

VR89 likes this.
  18. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    With 25 miles of EV each way, you should average around 72MPG.

19. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The calculation I did was this:

110 miles - 25 miles on EV = 85 miles on gas.

85 miles on gas / 56MPG average on gas (my personal long-term average) = 1.52 gallons used

110 mlles / 1.52 gallons used = 72.4MPG.

Of course, electricity may or may not be free or cheap.

20. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've researched cost per mile (taking into account fuel cost, initial cost and depreciation) for nearly every vehicle sold in the USA. The Prius Prime Plus with various government incentives is the least expensive option that I've found. You will have to mount your phone beside the nearly useless 11 inch screen to use Google maps.

jmarkd7 likes this.