1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime mileage and temperature

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by RJ Primw, Jan 12, 2017.

1. RJ Primw

RJ Primw Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Since I got my Prime in December, I have been more than pleased with the mileage I have been getting, expecting a boost when the weather gets warm. My daily commute of a little over 35 miles each way is 25 miles of interstate sandwiched by 5-6 miles of local roads at either end. In the morning, I use EV on the local road, switch over to HV on the highway, then back to EV on the local roads closer to the office. In the afternoon, I run on auto EV from work until I have about 5 miles of battery left, then switch to HV, saving the last of the battery for the local roads before I get home (this is also the heaviest traffic area). Using this strategy, I have been averaging about 71 mpg each day on my commute, a little more or a little less depending on variables in weather and traffic. (high temps ranging from 27 to 45 degrees).

Today, it was freakishly warm for a Jersey January day, with a high of 68 degrees. What a difference that made. First off, there was a notable difference in performance of the engine, quicker acceleration and a quieter ride. On the way in, my mileage was 86 mpg, and had much more battery power left when I got to work. But the way home was the sweet spot, when I pulled into the driveway, the trip odometer read 119 mpg. If that's what I have to look forward to in the spring, it will be one sweet ride!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!(y) are those mpg's gas only, or including wall power?

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  3. RJ Primw

RJ Primw Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Includes wall power. Battery ran dry about 1/2 mile from home.

bisco likes this.
  4. Darrell Kolodka

Darrell Kolodka New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    I will be providing some entries on what I am seeing with a 2020 Prius Prime for those interested:

November 10, 2019 @ 8:20 am central time, outside garage temperature was -14 Celcius (6.8 F), -22 Celsius (-7.6 F) with WindChill. Inside garage it was around -7 Celsius (19.4 F). Plugged in and fully charged the expected range was 37.7 km (23.525694 miles). This is about 6.1% range reduction from the 40 km\24 mi reported by Toyota. Incidentally, at this temperature any EV driving is minimal as Front Defrost was being used to keep cabin temperature comfortable.

Just to compare, September 26, 2019 @ 5:41 am central time the expected range was 55.2 km (~34.3 miles) Daily High was 13.1 Celsius (55.58 F) and Daily Low was 4.9 Celsius (40.82 F). My garage temperature at this time was probably 8 Celsius (46.4 F). This is 38% above the published 40 km\24 mi reported by Toyota.

At low speeds (<50 km) motor was runs, more than 50 km the EV did kick in a bit but then changed back to motor.

Cheers!
    Darrell
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

benagi and Tideland Prius like this.
  5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh boy. Hitting that low this early. I am not looking forward to what to arrive in our area later this week.:cry::cry::cry: