1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime Rear Bumper Protector

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by CBarr31, Jul 22, 2018.

1. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Toyota currently does not sell a rear bumper protector for the Prime. All they sell is the applique which is worthless for protection.

Are there any aftermarket companies who have made a rear bumper protector for the Prime?

Please note: A bumper protector for a Gen IV, even the one sold in Priuschat that says it is for the Prime WILL NOT work because the Prime rear bumper is curved slightly and the Gen IV bumper is straight.

Kind of surprised Toyota doesn't have one but I have asked. Of course you still can't get a Prime here in the Southeast unless you special order one and want to what several months, lol.

Happy driving,
    Chris

2. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Buy some vinyl wrap of what ever color you like and cut into a strip that fit and wrap it to protector your bumper. After a year or so or whenever it gets damaged just peel and replace.

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    For the Prius PHV in Europe, Toyota sells a Rear Bumper Protection Plate, part number PW178-47005. The accessory installation instructions (PDF) confirm that it is curved, and the illustration on toyota.co.uk suggests that it’s sturdier than the appliqués offered in the U.S. market. I expect it’s compatible with the Prius Prime, since the parts catalog shows that the Prius PHV and Prius Prime use the same rear bumper covers (part number 52159-47919 with Intelligent Clearance Sonar or 52159-47917 without).

I’m not sure how you’d order one. A Google search for the part number without the hyphen (PW17847005) finds a few sellers in Europe that say they ship to the United States, but the shipping costs might be high.

4. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I bought some clear vinyl off of Ebay and put a strip on the door sills and on the rear bumper. There was an article on the internet that told me how to make the slip and ratio of alcohol and water and the other solution of baby shampoo and water and it went on quite well and can hardly be noticed. DIY - Install Clear Bra using bulk film
    I had an '07 Prius and the rear bumper had a Toyota "guard" on the rear bumper which was nothing more than a clear film.

5. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have some Clear Bra material installed in the area you want protected. They claim it is self healing.

They use it on door edge guards too.

6. JspecPrime

JspecPrime Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It should be the same. I had the dealer throw it in for me but I bought the car but I haven't had time to bring it back to have them installed. I'll post a picture when I get my service done at 5000 miles

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.