1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime Rear Cargo

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Acadianer, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Acadianer

Acadianer Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hello all,
    Tomorrow we’re going to go test drive a 2020 Prime Upgrade w/ tech package. I know the rear cargo has less volume because of the larger battery and it doesn’t have a spare, but I’m curious for those that had other models of Prii, if you actually see a noticeable difference. The one we’re going to go see has high mileage for a 2020 (54000kms), but it’s price reflects it. It has a roof rack and rear hitch as well.

Just curious if you found the rear less useable than the non prime version

Thanks in advanced

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Noticeably smaller but with the rear seats folded down it still has plentry of useable space.

Acadianer likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i couldn't fit my recycling bins, so i passed. i think it just depends on how you use it, and what you need from it.
    many are very happy with the size. there are lots of threads if you search

Acadianer likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not had Gen4, so I can't compare PP to Gen4. But PP cargo is substantially smaller than my previous Gen3. But, I almost never used the rear seats, so having rear seats folded down made the cargo area big enough for most purposes.

#4 Salamander_King, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    Acadianer likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Noticeable? Yes. But I also have noticed more Primes in my area with cargo boxes so I suppose that's the solution owners are going with.

I have stuffed the trunk full once on a ski trip (pre-COVID obviously) after we stopped by to fill up with groceries in the US before heading back.

The biggest issue for me is the height beneath the cargo cover as I like to keep it extended to cover the cargo area (as I have for all my past Prii). But for me, the pros outweigh the cons and the ability to drive in EV mode, the much better suspension system over any of the previous Prii and the seat comfort is enough for me.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  7. E-GINO

E-GINO Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Prime’ cargo is reduced because its bottom is raised by about 15 cm.

Honestly I have lived happily with it if with exception to the scratches in my rear window tint film due edges of some cargo that have scratched it, because there are no cargo hooks in the 2017 Prime trunk. hence a cargo net cannot be fitted.

I wonder if this issue has been fixed by Toyota in 2020 Prime... because forgetting to fit the cargo hooks in such advanced vehicle is really inexcusable IMO.

Acadianer likes this.