1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime Stall Shut Down

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Stacey Jones, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Stacey Jones

Stacey Jones Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    2018 Prime Nav Screen, Dash controls, cruise Control shut down and restarted while driving on the interstate and then another time while slowing to pull into a parking lot. It only lasted seconds but car completely lost power. Dealership couldn’t find anything wrong the first time. Taking it back again today. Anyone else had this happen???

primer likes this.
  2. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I’ve had that happen while on the highway. All my electronics “rebooted” but I didn’t lose power. I wasn’t on cruise control so maybe I just didn’t think that much about it. If I was on cruise control I would probably think the car lost power. I believe your normal reaction would be to take your foot off the gas.

Probably the 12V PDU rebooted which kills all lights, accessories and creature comforts. A lot different than the Inverter which controls the drive train.

Unsupervised!

kevin.c and Stacey Jones like this.
  3. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  4. Stacey Jones

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

5. Stacey Jones

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So the reboot is a normal thing? My husband was driving. I’ve actually considered that it was a reboot but he really felt as though the car itself shut down.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you'll have to define it. the reboot is not normal but common. it is not unsafe. loss of motive power, even for s few seconds is a whole nuther can o worms.

primer and Stacey Jones like this.
  7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So now we have to deal with Windows OS in a Prius?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Stacey Jones

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Dealer contacted Toyota. There is a computer upgrade to the hybrid side they hope will fix the problem. Will update if it occurs again.

m8547, benagi and bisco like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's good news, please make details available when you have them, for others. hopefully a recall coming

primer and m8547 like this.
  10. Stacey Jones

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Dealership preformed upgrade but still couldn’t find anything wrong. Toyota left the ticket open and will continue investing the problem. They could not get it to duplicate but it only happens after an hour or more of driving. Keeping my phone handy to video if it happens again.

#10 Stacey Jones, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2019
    primer and bisco like this.
  11. Azmat Siddiqi

Azmat Siddiqi New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Happened to me tonight All system shutdown! Message flashed “Engine Malfunction, visit dealership”, followed immediately by “ Brake Failure”, and all cautionary LEDs lighted up. The car behind me narrowly missed me. The stall took the power steering out as well, although I had electricals....AAA tow dropped wife and I home and took the car to Stevens Creek Toyota, San Jose. The car has 5000 miles.
    I missed a couple of close calls albeit I was on the shoulder...very disappointed. Will file with NHTSA. Unsafe at any charge!

PT Guy, primer and Stacey Jones like this.
  12. Rieuk

Rieuk Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Umm. Wait, what? How is that even possible? Is that a serious design flaw or is this bogus? If brakes can really malfunction due to a software issue then isn't this whole issue going to turn into a major $h1t-show?

13. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had a “engine failed to start” MIL indicator on my Gen 2 and it was fixed with a firmware update. Hopefully it’s that simple in this case.

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    One case involving a Camry during the sudden acceleration issue may have been due to the brake software. An expert called it 'spaghetti code', and didn't follow best practices.

In this case, the brake failure warning may simply have triggered from the loss of engine power. All the other warnings lit up too.

15. Azmat Siddiqi

Azmat Siddiqi New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Affirmative... wife can vouch for it. Hence waited 55 minutes for two at night. Stevens Creek Toyota, San Jose, most U.N. cooperative. Filing complaint with National Safety folks. I am in the Quality and Cimpiance field but in the multiple message, and alarm tones did not do a screen shot of brake malfunction...was commanded to use “P Brake Mafinction”. ... dealership refused liner... so will use their rental and claim through, hopefully but looks like legal action... need guidance from you all. Toyota is new to me. Thanks

16. Azmat Siddiqi

Azmat Siddiqi New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Car stalled! No forward motion.., engine had no power although electricals were okay...

17. Azmat Siddiqi

Azmat Siddiqi New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I sure appreciate all the feedback.... dealership ( in fact I am still there) said wire harness got chewed up by rodents (hmmm my S Class and wife’s XC 90 share the same garage). Hence total system failure and disengage brake and all functional commands!

Don’t buy it 100% and even so SPF (single point failure) is poor design. MBZs go into fail safe limp home mode. Oh well filed an insurance claim...never Toyota again!’

18. smyles

smyles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    So mice chewed wiring, which caused multiple system errors, probably made brakes and steering heavy (but still operable). Emotions aside, what do you expect Toyota - or any car manufacturer, - to do, have redundant lines for everything, like in airplanes? Offer free rodent control to every owner?

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota wiring is soy based, mice love it (y)

benagi likes this.
  20. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    From @Azmat Siddiqi's report, it’s not clear to me that there was a failure of actual braking, or just a (quite distressing) loss of power, followed by brake-related warning lights and error messages. If it was the latter, as @Trollbait kindly suggested, the electronically controlled brake system may have been working as designed.

As many readers know, Toyota’s hybrid system achieves good fuel economy, in part, by allowing the car to substitute regenerative braking for hydraulic (friction) braking, using Motor Generator No. 2 in the transaxle as a generator to simultaneously slow the car and recharge the HV battery. Toyota could have provided a separate control for this, as with dynamic braking on a locomotive, which is operated with the throttle or a dedicated lever. For a mass-market car, though, Toyota needed to keep the traditional driving interface.

This would have been difficult to do without allowing the control software, under appropriate conditions, to override the hydraulic braking behavior when the driver presses the brake pedal. (Such an override is also needed for the anti-lock brake system, but that’s another subject; see Toyota’s ABS video.)

Toyota calls this Regenerative Braking Cooperative Control, and in the New Car Features book (more info), they explain how it works:

“During braking, the skid control ECU calculates the required regenerative braking force and transmits it to the hybrid vehicle control ECU. Upon receiving this signal, the hybrid vehicle control ECU transmits the actual regenerative braking control value to the skid control ECU. Based on this result, the skid control ECU calculates and executes the required hydraulic braking force.”​

(The skid control ECU is the computer that runs the brake system.)

If the skid control ECU receives a malfunction signal from the hybrid vehicle control ECU, or if it loses communication entirely, it’s designed to fail safe and rely only on hydraulic braking, but it will also store a diagnostic trouble code, such as C1259 (“HV Control System Regenerative Malfunction”), C1310 (“HV System Malfunction”), or U0293 (“Lost Communication with Hybrid Vehicle Control System”), turn on warning lights, and display error messages on the combination meter.

None of this excuses the initial failure, of course, but it’s one possible explanation for part of what happened.

As for rodent damage to wiring, it sounds plausible to me, though the class-action lawsuit over soy-based insulation was dismissed last year. Toyota does provide redundancy on critical circuits, such as those to the accelerator pedal, but keep in mind that, like all too many PriusChat members, mice don’t read the Electrical Wiring Diagram, so they may eat more than one wire in each circuit.