1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prime steering not going back to center

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Dillster, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Dillster

Dillster New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This is really driving me crazy about this car on the steering not going to center on the interstate and feeling like I'm always trying to keep it straight. I should be able to relax and drive to work but I'm not. The car will not stay center and if I pull on the wheels just a little it will stay there and turn in that direction until I make a correction. I went to Toyota and they did a wheel alignment and said all checked out ok. Tried to get them to put a slight toe on the wheels to stability to the car but they will not saying all is ok. I have changed pressure in the tires so many times that none is changing that. I have changed the tires to a different brand and no change. I am mechanic by trade and have had several mode cars so I'm not bat S$#t crazy. Its not like the darts off the road by it self it just seems to track were it wants to and when a big truck goes by I'm holding on. How do I handle this with Toyota when they say its fine. Any one else feel this in there cars? Thanks for any help!!!!

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like your dealer needs to learn to listen better. I wonder if @bwilson4web has any suggestions. IIRC, he's done some sort of custom alignment on his Prime.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you post the print out of the alignment data?
    what tires are you running, and what pressures?
    typical highway speed?

WilDavis likes this.
  4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Mine is dead straight. If it's doing that, it's because of an alignment problem. Try a different dealer or a third-party.

5. Dillster

Dillster New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Right now I'm running Hankook optima h724 and the original tires were Ecopia EP422plus. The Hankook came off my VW TDi and were new and the same size. The VW showed none of these signs so I swapped them. That was not the fix and I have tried pressures from 28 to 45 and all in the middle with less in the front and more in the back and vise versa. I did not get a read out on the alignment. I think the guys half assed the set up and read it was in Toyota spec and said looks like nothing is wrong. I need to check and see if the service writer logged that visit. I have and oil change to do so I will talk to them again I guess.

jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  6. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I do notice that steering doesn’t return to center if after turning at parking lot speeds, but mine is good on the freeway. The only time I have issues are with freeway grooves. The toyo tires seem to track them which is quite disconcerting.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Googling this:

what helps a car steering return to center

returns some food for thought. Something overly tightened?

8. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like it might be a problem with caster, you may want to find a place that is able to check it. If it's out of spec, get a quote to fix it then see if you can get Toyota to pay for it, unlikely that it's adjustable so it wouldn't be cheap to fix.

9. Dillster

Dillster New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for all the replies and ideas! Not sure how I am going to handle this but I will return to the dealer and talk with the service manager not the service writers. This is going to be a tough one to get them to under stand. If they can't fix then I might have to lemon law this car and they will be buying it back. just have to get it all logged and reported the right way so I will go back to them. I do not want to spend money on a car that drives like this and I can't live with it this way. Will do after the holidays! happy holidays to all !!!!!!!!

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same to you, all the best!(y)

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What came up a lot when I searched, was that caster for sure is what helps centre the wheel, but various steering and suspension components, if overly tight/stiff, can defeat the caster influence.

jerrymildred and Since2002 like this.
  12. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've seen alignment specs for other Toyotas that are ridiculously wide. If one wheel was set at the max in-range spec, and the other side at the minimum in-range spec, it would be "in range" and out the door, and drive like garbage.

Get the factory specs and get the specs of your car. Some cars have adjustable rears, so get a 4-wheel alignment. Even if nothing is adjustable on the rears, get the 4-wheel measurements. Something may not be assembled correctly, or maybe it got bent when your car fell off the truck.... A "thrust" alignment is for non-adjustable rears where the actual direction of thrust of the rears is measured, and the fronts are set to match that.

I demand that the alignment be set at the center of the spec, not just anywhere in-spec. I have that put on the work order, and I won't pay until I see the results in the center. If the caster is adjustable (probably not on our cars, but it needs to be measured in case something is bent), I like it set to the max in-range. Not the center of the spec in this case. The tech can't complain, because anything in-spec covers his liability.

Camber--the inward or outward tilt of the wheels. (both sides need to be the same)
    Toe-in--the wheels point inward a specified amount (both sides need to be the same)
    Caster--the inclination of the steering axis (more gives more return-to-center feel)

Way back in the time of bias ply tires the rights and lefts would be set a bit differently to handle the camber (high middle) of the pavement. That is not desired with radial ply tires, but the old myth lives on with some techs.

jaw444 and Since2002 like this.
  13. Dale Leonard

Dale Leonard Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Does your car have lane assist? That can be a pain at times.

SeattleBicycler likes this.
  14. fneil

fneil Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I fear my Prime is similarly poor at tracking straight at highway speeds. If you move the wheel a bit to either side it will continue in that direction rather than return to center. This is pretty tiring on a long trip - you have to constantly work to keep the car going straight.

My wife's Murano behaves similarly, and has aggravated me for years. My previous car was an '06 VW Passat and was a great high speed cruiser, tracking straight and true hands off. My son's Mazda 6 also tracks nicely.

I've adjusted to it somewhat after 5 months, but still find it tiring on a long drive...

scona likes this.
  15. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Try lowering your tire pressure to spec rather than overinflate them for marginal mpg gains. This is especially true if you have eco tires as they seem to track highway grooves more regularly.

16. bill188

bill188 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    jaw444 likes this.
  17. Dillster

Dillster New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    All great thoughts and I really thank you all! The car was put on a rack at the dealer and they said it was in spec but I never saw the numbers. They sent a tech with me for a test drive and he watched me drive the car and said all looks normal. He even went to say that " oh I have to do that in my Tacoma and always correct it" . The real problem is the car steering does not return to center and that is wrong. I f I pull on the wheel I I can change lanes when I let go of the wheel. The big issue is that when a truck goes buy or heavy winds it amplifies that feeling and makes the car a real nervous car to drive.
    All cars should go back to center I don't care if its electric steering or mechanical. My wife's car has different steering modes in her car and all of them when you let go of steering in a turn it will go back to center.
    I've tried tire pressure but makes it just be a little squishier. its not even about the tracking the car goes straight if you hold it but it won't stay there if your let go.i do keep the LDA off because it just fights itself and then that more nervousness in the wheel. I have a 05 VW TDI old school tech that I can drive on the interstate all day with my knee and it does not wonder at all. I don't drive like that! Just saying.
    I will get the spec for the car alignment parameters and if any one knows were to get that it would help. I have an appointment on the 9 jan so will see how it goes. Thanks again for all the help. The whole reason I bought a new car is so I don't have to work on them. I'm a heavy equipment mechanic by trade so this drives me crazy getting push back by Toyota!!!!!!

jaw444 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The v in factory alignment specs has always tracked straight like a train on tracks, no matter whether OEM Toyo A20 summer at 42/40psi or Dunlop WinterSports at 38/36psi, with clinically even tire wear (and not much, at that).

Neutral toe may result in wandering, while negative toe can create left/right darting, especially with strut suspensions that don't manage camber and bump steer well. Toe and camber are adjustable.

Caster affects self-centering too, but is not, to my knowledge, adjustable. .

benagi likes this.
  19. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think this is simply the difference between Toyota and VW's power steering calibrations that you're seeing - VW's electric power steering systems have a very aggressive return to center (to the point that they'll hold what they think center is, even with things like crowned roads and IIRC even crosswinds), where Toyota's systems tend to be a little "sticky" near center to try to get a similar effect - it'll stay where you put it if you're near the center.

Dillster and jaqueh like this.
  20. fneil

fneil Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I dropped the pressure down to the values on the door post (from about 40 psi), and while it reduced the skittishness a touch, the wheel still won't return to center if nudged to either side...

Mendel Leisk likes this.