1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime Strong Points and Weak Points

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Sue Case, Mar 24, 2023.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Seeding a conspiracy theory.
    Coca-cola recently changed the formula to Coke Zero, and it wasn't long after they had cancelled Tab.
    New Coke Zero is Tab.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    new prius is volt? :p

3. Li W

Li W New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The vast majority of Prius owners in my part of the US are Uber drivers and delivery drivers. Most of them aren't living in a house where they can plug in. I don't get why Toyota wouldn't target that segment of buyers. The 2016 - 2022 Gen4 Prius is literally the perfect car for it Making the trunk / hatch smaller and having less headroom in Gen5 really kills it for doing Uber.

I'm looking at the Kia Niro as alternative - same space as a crossover, on a car base, 50+ mpg. The brand sucks for reliability though. I'm not saying the Prius should be boxy like the Niro, but Toyota gotta realize Americans want cars with more interior space. Unlike the Japanese, most American families have more than one kid. If they're targeting single people and childless couples then the Corolla Hybrid is perfectly adequate. So what kind of people are they marketing the Prius to?

4. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium

Nobody has been commenting on what we actually have in hand. The last page has mainly been nitpicking the model names and expressing personal gripes. Someone even called the Prius a Volt! Oh. Brisco did that. And accused John, who appears to have insider information, of disseminating propaganda.

5. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I don't get why that would kill the gen5 for Uber. What are the specs that define the dimensions needed for Uber cars?
    Is the Toyota Camry usable for Uber? How about a Tesla Model 3? A Honda Civic?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i said what we can buy here, not what we have in hand. nice spin doctoring attempt though.

7. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    There is no difference. Either way you are fabricating complaints from whole cloth. But that was a nice evasion you did. You do that quite well. Do you have any PR or telemarketing experience? You'd fit right in.

But I'll phrase it for you. What experience or training do you have in the automotive design or marketing field that would back up your accusation that John is passing propaganda? You are the one who encouraged another forum member to ignore John's "propaganda", right?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's very simple to anyone with the smallest bit of intelligence. john never criticizes toyota in any way.
    no company is perfect, are they?

9. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    EDIT: I am changing the wording, as the original wording could be mistaken as an insult.

Instead of : I grant that between you may have the smallest bit of intelligence.

It should have read: I agree that John is much more qualified to speak of the strong and weak points of the general design than anyone else in this thread so far. He also appears to know much more about the business of making and selling cars than most of the detractors in this thread.

There. That's better.

The detractors remind me of the GM employees that flooded the internet with made up horror stories of in the 1999 to 2006 era. Self serving tales of fires and explosions and frequent replacements of a $15,000 battery were coupled with false claims that the Prius was too under-powered to be driven on a freeway, much less drive up a hill. Even Jay Leno bought into their paranoia, making jokes about how slow it was without driving one. The 2002 detractors made the suggestion was always that the uninitiated should stay away from Toyota and buy American cars. In many ways, it's similar to today.

#49 dbstoo, Mar 28, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why thank you dan, you're very kind :)

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Absence of any effort to move the discussion forward is a dead giveaway of intent. Some people enjoy the status quo.

For the rest of us, we move on. I will be replacing my Prius Prime with a bZ4X tomorrow. Meanwhile, my wife and I will be intrigued to watch reviews of this next-gen Prius Prime being filmed today. While at the same time, we observe similiarites & differences from EV drive in the PHEV verses the BEV.

At some point, she'll be replacing her Prius Prime with something... we don't know what yet though. That's the road trip vehicle. Traveling through South Dakota to visit family in Wyoming is pretty much impossible with a BEV currently and will be for years to come.

The nonsense from those unwilling to accept the past is just a waste of time. Spring is here. New charging stations will be built as the snow melts away. Life is good. Plug on!

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm willing to accept the past, after all, i'm loving my 10 year old pip.
    it's the future that concerns me ;)

13. Louis19

Louis19 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Looking forward for your comments and impressions on your new bZ4X and similiarites in respect to a PHEV:)

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The friend of mine who bought my 2012 Prius PHV also owns a RAV4 Prime. It's about to get very interesting. In the meantime, here's my 4X at the dealer getting prepped for me. I wonder how long it will be before the opportunity to test drive the new Prius Prime comes along.

20230327_181816.jpg