1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prime TMS (thermal management system)

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by fotomoto, Mar 25, 2016.

1. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    So any word if the 8.8kWh battery uses a different system from the standard Prius air-induction fan setup?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, so i have to think no change. when you think about it, not much difference other than higher ev speed and no ice when you punch it. not sure how much heat that will create.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Tideland Prius and I asked this specific question to the chief engineer during lunch one day (among numerous other questions) and he said it is fan/air driven, no active cooling or anything like that. Pretty much what we're used to in Prius.

Redpoint5, Tracksyde and fotomoto like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks mark, i'll try to remember this when i run across the post saying there might not be any forced cooling at all.

5. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I would still consider fan-driven air cooling to be "active cooling" as opposed to something like the Nissan LEAF which was completely passive with no fan.

6. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ok, so no one gets confused, there is a fan blowing air to cool the battery like in Prius before. There is no system like the Volt, Tesla etc has. That is what I meant.

7. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    What did you find out about any new changes in the transaxle vs the regular gen 4?

We know there is a new one-way clutch. Where is it physically located? Is it inside the transaxle on the planetary carrier or is it external to the transaxle and on the output axle of the engine maybe as part of the clutch/damper between the engine and the engine input to the transaxle?

Did they add any other clutching mechanism beyond that? Danny mentioned something about a clutch and high rpm inertia and MG2 freewheeling but later deleted it from his "insider notes" thread. Do you know what that was about?

Any other changes to gear ratios or motor windings (kW or torque ratings) between gen 4 and the Prime's gen 4 transaxle? In particular, I'm wondering if it is really just exactly the same P610 gen 4 transaxle but with a one-way clutch located just exterior to the transaxle case. Any idea?

#7 Jeff N, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  8. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I sent a note to @Tideland Prius to come look at your post. He spent WAY more time asking the chief engineer questions and can properly answer your questions, if he has answers to them.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The clutch information will come out later. I'm not privy to disclose that.

You know what? I actually didn't ask about the PSD :(. The only thing I found out about the mechanical bits were on the part on EV driving. There, they were able to use both MG1 and MG2 to assist in propelling the vehicle once the MG rpms are high enough. It's like getting a boost in torque. It'll provide a more BEV-like driving experience. However, in hybrid mode (C-S), it'll revert back to typical Prius function of MG2 propelling the car and MG1 regenerating. And to further clarify, the twin-motor EV propulsion is only for propulsion. Regen in EV mode is done by MG1 only.

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    OK, thanks for the confirmation.

Energi's use the same forced-air design but owners have encountered heat/performance limitations built into the software which help protect the battery. For instance:

1) EV only performance can be limited or turned off if battery temps are too high.
    2) Full throttle EV is temp limited (battery and/or ambient)
    3) Level II charging outside in hot weather can raise bat temp too high which results in #1.

It will interesting to see what, if anything, Toyota has done.

11. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Okay.

I think you mean MG2 (the bigger motor).

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found an article that might give you the information you need.

2016 Toyota Prius Prime: details on 120 MPGe plug-in hybrid, all-electric mode

Jeff N likes this.
  13. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Yes, I saw that earlier. It's interesting and some of it sounds credible like the strengthening of some internal transaxle components. Other parts I'm less sure of. He talks about 95 kW of motor output but that's kind of irrelevant for EV driving if you have less battery output than that. Autoblog claims the max battery output in the Prime is 68 kW versus 37 kW for the old PHEV. This article says the old PHEV motor output was 68 kW but I thought the old MGB was 60 kW.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I only remember the Gen 2 which was 50kW for MG2 and 10kW for MG1. I think MG2 was bumped for Gen 3 (probably the 60kW you mentioned).

15. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i wonder if prime is going to be faster than regular prius in hybrid mode... there is potential for 180 hp there.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably not. It is heavier and the twin-motor mode is only for EV Drive mode. We don't know the specs of MG2, however. It could be more powerful but the jump in engine off (from 110km/h to 135km/h) could just be because they allow MG1 to propel the car.

17. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    We do. The specs are listed as being the same as the regular gen 4 -- 53 kW and 163 Nm.

Google Translate

The overall maximum system output is listed as being the same 90 kW or 122 HP as the regular gen 4. This is because MG2 is already being fed power from MG1 which is generated from part of the gas engine output and that only leaves a limited additional power capability in MG2 that can be filled from the battery. That spare MG2 capacity is small enough (less than 30 kW) so that it can be fully provided by the regular gen 4 hybrid battery.

Even though Prime can reportedly output up to 68 kW from its battery, MG2 has already maxed out under hard acceleration with the gas engine so both the regular gen 4 and the Prime put out the same power. Since the Prime is about 300 pounds heavier, it may actually be slower to accelerate 0-60 than the regular gen 4.

In contrast, the gen 2 Volt's MG2 equivalent is 280 Nm and 87 kW (vs Prius 163 Nm and 53 kW) but with similar gas engine output so the Volt has substantially more excess capacity in its motor to absorb additional power from the battery pack to assist the gas engine during hard acceleration. The Volt's overall rated powertrain output is 111 kW or 149 HP.

#17 Jeff N, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    Redpoint5, giora and Tideland Prius like this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent, thank you!

Hmm, so I wonder if that's why they design that clutch to allow MG1 to assist in propulsion. It allows more of the battery to feed the wheels to give a feeling of a more powerful car than it really is.

Also, now that you've mentioned it, I'm curious to see acceleration in EV Drive mode and EV Auto mode. In EV Auto mode, would the car think it's better to have the engine come on under full acceleration?

19. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Having the one-way clutch allows them to combine the motor power and inverters for MG1 and MG2 together rather than having to have an oversized MG2 motor and inverter that is used by itself for EV driving.

The two motors combined reportedly are capable of outputting up to 95 kW but the battery itself can reportedly only output up to 68 kW so EV-only driving is limited to that.

The combined gas engine plus motors and battery pack can output up to 90 kW or 122 HP so it makes sense for "EV auto" mode to fire up the gas engine under hard acceleration.

The gen 2 Volt has a bigger battery pack that can output up to 120 kW which is just a little more than its two motors combined are rated for (111 kW) so gas engine vs EV-only acceleration are about the same in the Volt.

#19 Jeff N, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    Redpoint5 and Tideland Prius like this.
  20. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the gen 1 PiP, MG2 provides both motive power and regen when braking. MG1 starts the ICE and provides regen from the ICE to sustain battery charge. Does the second gen operate in the same way?