1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PRIME TRUNK SPACE

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Andyprius1, Feb 8, 2017.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a tape measure is the only thing that works. toyota needs to get this right, the second time around, if it isn't a compliance car. if it is, there are other opportunities.

2. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just read a review of the Iconiq. It said the rear headroom is lacking compared to the Prius.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Ioniq seems to have a deeper trunk than the Prime (actually I'm almost certain just by looking at the photos). Hyundai's Li-Polymer battery seems a touch smaller than the Prime but that's hard to tell without exact measurements as I'm sure the differences are minor.

I think Toyota was banking on the width of the Prius/Prime's trunk to make up for the total volume. The Ioniq's is more square and more useful for daily life. The Prime is good for golf bags lol.

4. jaymac

jaymac membore

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    After 5 years of Prius ownership I very much want a plug-in vehicle. I agree that the rear hatch area in the Prime looks extremely half-assed for a gen 2 version of the Prius Plug-in. That combined with the 4 seat configuration fairly added up to a deal breaker for me. I drove one the other day and like the ride experience but the other factors complicate things.

I looked at the Chevy Bolt and sat in a Premier model. I would probably jump to full EV if it were not for the front seats. Those are a deal breaker. I'll probably wait until the 2018 MY to see if Chevy rectifies the seat issue.

And I will be waiting to see the Ioniq Plug-in when it is finally released in the US. The main things that have been disparaged about the Ioniq is the lack of back seat head room and the conventional transmission ( as opposed to a CVT like all other hybrids ).

I

farmecologist likes this.
  5. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    It seems like a clear tradeoff is emerging here. For Ioniq Plugin...more cargo area but inadequate rear headroom. For Prius Prime...less cargo area but adequate rear headroom. I'm not sure which one I like more.

BTW - I posted about it here and don't want to duplicate here :

Hyundai Ioniq Cargo Space - Page 3 - Hyundai Ioniq Forum

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much wider is the prime vs the pip? i didn't see a visual difference when i had them side by side.

7. cjp767

cjp767 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I didn't see the answer to my question in this thread-- and I forgot to measure during my test drive last week-- What is the distance between the Prime's cargo floor and the cargo cover? I understand the Advanced has a different cover than the others, but the measurement on any car will give me an idea of how tall grocery bags can be while keeping the cargo covered. I'd prefer the the sun not beat on my ice cream.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Take out "It's almost like" and I'm with you.

Trollbait, bisco and farmecologist like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i believe it's 9" from deck to cover.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Third gen, regular (or plug-in I guess), is a bit over 14", just measured now. Fourth gen likely about the same?

#50 Mendel Leisk, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    depends on whether you have a spare or not? if that's the case, prime should be 11", unless they lowered the cover.
    i don't use the cover for groceries, i figure if someone is breaking into my car for pretzel's, they're hungrier than i am.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    9 5/8" to the bottom of the cover bar, 11 1/2" to the top of the cover bar, so 11" to the cover itself is probably about right.

13. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    According to Hyundais press release the Ioniq Plug-in offers 443 Liters of cargo space compared to the only 360 Liters of the Prime.
    In other words the Ioniq Plug-in has about the same cargo space as the the first gen. Prius Plug-in !
    I hope Toyota officials pay Hyundai's stand at the Geneva Auto Show a visit to see how a battery is properly integrated into a Plug-in vehicle !

#53 civicdriver06, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think those numbers can be trusted. but the ionique hatch does look roomy. unlike toyota, i think they went in with the intention of finding the space for the battery under the hatch floor. plus, they don't have the stupid solar roof.

15. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes the possible solar roof option probably has something to do with it .
    However I guess Toyota didn't make all the sacrifices for nothing,never in a million years will the Ioniq beat the Prius on fuel efficiency once the battery is depleted!
    They will have to pay a price for the extra weight also !

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much more does it weigh?

17. alpilotx

alpilotx New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    II
    And there is one more point (please correct me if this information is incorrect or has been revised): with the Prius prime you have the option to extended your carrying capacity with a rooftop box .... as far as I understand, Hyundai is not supporting

18. mdhare

mdhare Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think (need to measure my premium) that the height is even smaller at the hatch lid. I have stored the tonneau once in the first three weeks, nice and easy.

Coming from a 05 Accord sedan I have had to make some adjustments. One of those adjustments includes insulated reusable shopping bags for cold items. You could also plop traditional bags in a cooler which is what I used to do even in the Accord if I was out running multiple errands.

In the end even with the raised floor the hatch has more usable space than the sedan did. Not an apologist (wish it was different) but was tired of waiting for a phev.

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Tradeoffs are a reality with any type of engineering. Let's not forget about EV power...

68 kW (91 hp) for Prius Prime
    45 kW (60 hp) for Ioniq PHEV

Ask yourself why. It gets complicated. There are many factors of influence.

20. mdhare

mdhare Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Cover is another 3 to 4 inches shorter at the far end. I measured the distance from the top of the soft cover to the back clips and made the possibly false assumptions that the tonneau clips are in the same X plane, visually they appear to be. But even if that assumption is wrong it visually slopes down. Visually it looks like the bottom of the back vertical glass is at about the same height as the front tonneau clips.

I discovered this discrepancy pretty early on, being a newbie prius/hatch owner before purchase I only measured under cover height near seatbacks and said "well, I guess that will work for groceries". I then observed pretty quickly that the cover was distorted near the back of the trunk after the first grocery run.

Despite all of this, in comparison only to my Accord, the space is still more useful (but this could be said of any non-sedan design).

Sorry, wasn't willing to climb into the trunk in the name of science to get exact measurements, but enjoy this grainy spy spot!
    IMG_20170310_070119420.jpg